Oil Change - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Oil Change

When is the first oil change supposed to happen? Someone somewhere said that the recommendation in the owner's manual is different from the dealer's recommendation. Anyone know which is best.... and maintains the warranty? Thanks

Also....what do people like about plug-ins? Just that you don't ever have to buy gas? Or are there other features that are attractive, compared to a hybrid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmura View Post
When is the first oil change supposed to happen? Someone somewhere said that the recommendation in the owner's manual is different from the dealer's recommendation. Anyone know which is best.... and maintains the warranty? Thanks

Also....what do people like about plug-ins? Just that you don't ever have to buy gas? Or are there other features that are attractive, compared to a hybrid?
7,500 is when I plan to bring mine in. The salesperson always says to bring it in early, but I think that is just due to lack of knowledge of because they are told to say that by the service dept. Unless it takes you 9 months or more to reach that mileage, I wouldn't do it before 7,500.

The clear benefit to a plug in is the lack of gas. But the big negative is the short distance you can drive before a re-charge is needed. IMO, a plug in is only for someone who commutes less than 10 miles each way and has a 2nd vehicle for longer trips. I wouldn't be able to have a plug in for myself because I drive 80+ miles each day.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:15 PM

The plug in would offer you the 20+ miles ev range plus the whole gas tank so you'd have a larger range than the current Niro. What isn't clear is what effect, if any, the larger batteries would have on MPG.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:27 PM

Are you saying 7500 KM or miles?
Thanks
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner99 View Post
Are you saying 7500 KM or miles?
Thanks
Miles
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 09:45 PM

I thought the owners manual said that you should do the first oil change at 6 months or 7500 miles, whichever is first. In my case, I made an appt for next month at the 6 month mark with just over 3k on it. Can anyone else confirm this time frame for the initial oil change?

Thanks!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 09:55 PM

Manual says 7500 miles.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazate View Post
Manual says 7500 miles.
That is incorrect, owner's manual says 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or 6 months, whichever comes first.

I have 6k miles and 6 months, I will be servicing it tomorrow.
Jay and MizAndie4245 like this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 12:08 PM

The manual lists 7500 or 12 months for oil change in Normal Maintenance Schedule, 3750 miles or 6 month for Severe Usage Conditions Maintenance. The manual lists the "severe conditions", lettered A thru K. Since I and many people will probably drive under one or more of those conditions at some point, I take an ~average of the two, and will change oil at 5k miles. It's easier to remember every 5,000 also.
My first change I did at 3k miles, just because of new engine and I was near the dealer. After that it will be every 5k, unless it's a severe or long winter with short driving trips, or other more frequent "severe" conditions.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:17 PM

Not trying to be a smarty, just read the manual then you will have the straight facts.

Basically, as one reply said -- it depends on type usage (normal or severe), if you want to follow the manual.

My Case --Most all are trips are no less than 20 miles RT, I call that normal.

Bought in FEB, changed oil at around 5800 miles on July 26. Let Dealer do it (FREE this time). Would have been $69 including the other checks (mostly just look at things for first one). They say they used Pennzoil Synthetic at my dealer.

What the heck, not a big deal --- 2 times a year or 3 times a year is not a lot of money to worry about.

Change your own and keep records (cheaper).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page