First oil change - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
I was thinking of doing 5000 mile oil changes (with whatever other maintenance is due by then... e.g something listed for 22,500 miles I'd probably do at the 20K appointment.

Reasons why:
1) 5000 is easier math to do :-), but I'm an engineer so I can handle that one...
2) The manual (I believe) says "7500 miles or 6 months". I don't drive 7500 miles in 6 months (typically I do 11-12K per year so that's 5K in just about 5 months). So that would leave me doing every 6 months at whatever random mileage. I'd rather have a mileage target.
3) Slightly more often oil changes is cheap insurance to avoid problems later.

Any reason not to do oil changes at 5000 mile intervals instead?
No harm in changing your oil before the recommended interval because at the end of the day you are maintaining an even higher quality of oil. I bet that during the 3750 mark oil really starts to show its age. But if you can, check the oil manually yourself to see the color and thickness, its the greatest indicator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lootas1 View Post
Bought my last new car in 2002 when the first oil change was something like 1,000 miles, as I recall. It is troubling to think I should be driving around with the first oil for 7,000 miles. Can that be correct? It will take me close to two years to put that many miles on my Niro. I bought my car in September and now have 2,000 miles on it. Longest trip might be 50 miles. Most are 3 miles.
Lootas- if I remember correctly, the oil change is 7500 or one year. Check the manual, but there is definitely a time factor change included.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:34 PM

Does each oil change involve replacing the drain plug gasket as well? My previous car used a crushable drain plug gasket that was recommended to replace with every oil change.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssca View Post
Does each oil change involve replacing the drain plug gasket as well? My previous car used a crushable drain plug gasket that was recommended to replace with every oil change.
Each time I have had my oil changed at the dealer, they have replaced the oil drain plug gasket.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 09:59 AM

I just got my first oil change at the dealer today. I guess I was wrong about using 5w-30. The service advisor didn't know that much about the Niro so I talked to the mechanic and he said that they use 0-20 Full Synthetic with the Niro and was quite insistent that, that is the correct oil to use and nothing else. So that's what I'm using, same as my old Prius. It's nice I get free oil changes every 5k mi. with full synthetic oil as a perk for buying the car there. Even though the service advisor wasn't that up to speed with the Niro it's nice to see the mechanics are and that your able to talk to them. So the first service went great and left with a good impression of the service dept.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 04:59 PM

Garage
Hi all, well it's that time, the big 7,500 check-up. I had the work done at the dealer, made an online appointment. Had to, spent 2 days calling, getting shoved on hold & forgotten...... I really hate that treatment.....

However, I showed up on time, 9am, checked in, was told 2.5 hours worth of work including 3 TSB's, Wiring Harness re-securing, Battery Management, & Brake Feel Improvement.
At 11:50am I received a call, your car is ready.

It went way better than I expected......

This was at Glendale Car Pros / Kia!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 05:32 PM

On my PHEV, the owners manual says first oil change is at 7500 miles. This week I turned over 1000 miles, and the UVO system popped up a warning that I'm due for my first oil change, and asked if I wanted the system to assist with scheduling. (I pressed "no.") Does every one get this 1,000 mile reminder?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

you can set the interval yourself

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifterguy View Post
On my PHEV, the owners manual says first oil change is at 7500 miles. This week I turned over 1000 miles, and the UVO system popped up a warning that I'm due for my first oil change, and asked if I wanted the system to assist with scheduling. (I pressed "no.") Does every one get this 1,000 mile reminder?
At least a few of us have seen that message pop up around 1k. Sometime when your car is in park but in the "On" position, use the buttons on your steering wheel to scroll through the configuration options and you'll find one that allows you to schedule the maintenance reminder. You should probably plan to have it changed at 6 months or 7500, whichever comes first.

On a related note: I'd love to hear from anyone who clicked "yes" when prompted to let the car schedule the appointment. I'm skeptical that this could work well for most people, but it would be interesting to hear how it does work.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK6PD View Post
Hi all, well it's that time, the big 7,500 check-up. I had the work done at the dealer, made an online appointment. Had to, spent 2 days calling, getting shoved on hold & forgotten...... I really hate that treatment.....

However, I showed up on time, 9am, checked in, was told 2.5 hours worth of work including 3 TSB's, Wiring Harness re-securing, Battery Management, & Brake Feel Improvement.
At 11:50am I received a call, your car is ready.

It went way better than I expected......

This was at Glendale Car Pros / Kia!
So, how many $$$ did that set you back?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page