Rain-X or no ? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Rain-X or no ?

Hi,

I have read that some vehicules have issues with Rain-X. Has anyone of you noticed any problems with Rain-X windshield washer ?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 10:58 PM

Garage
Only if you don't apply it properly, I moved on to The Chemical Guys dot com and use Jet Seal for windows as well as the whole body... works great!!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

What do you mean ? How can you not apply windshield washer properly?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:35 AM

Are you referring to the wiper blades or the washer fluid? By your reply, it doesnít seem that youíre asking about the product that you apply to the windshield to make the water bead.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

I am asking about the normal windshield washer fluid.Sorry if I was not clear. Something like the first one, but I guess the second one could be the same.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/r...4140p.html#srp

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/r...4120p.html#srp
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know if you'd gain much from them over winter time, and at easily twice the price of regular washer fluid, I would be very curious if it really is worth it. I know from my previous cars that a cold windshield will freeze back over as the flash freeze point on glass with a thin layer of liqid is pretty quick. I have tried -40 and -50 washer fluid and it makes no difference. Is this enough of a different fomulation to work??

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:44 AM

If you want to get good freeze protection from your washer fluid try mixing rubbing alcohol in with your bottle of windshield wash fluid. I use to use about a 1/2 bottle of alcohol into a bottle of washer fluid and then shake it up good. Never had a problem with it freezing up. Shouldn't be enough alcohol to ruin things but you might want to try it on a hidden painted spot on the car to make sure it doesn't mark the paint if you want to be safe.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:18 PM

I have been using strictly Rain-X wiper fluid for more than a year in my 17 Niro. It really makes the water bead great. When I'm going down the highway, I actually have better visibility with my wipers off because the raindrops just disappear. It cleans pretty well, but I have some trouble with the particularly large bug splats if I don't clean it immediately. As far as the wintertime use, I don't think it makes a dramatic difference. Frost still happily accumulates on my windshield when parked overnight despite being treated with the Rain-X coating at least once a day. It cleans salt very nicely. I actually use a spray bottle of it to soften up ice before I scrape it, too.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlNiro View Post
If you want to get good freeze protection from your washer fluid try mixing rubbing alcohol in with your bottle of windshield wash fluid. I use to use about a 1/2 bottle of alcohol into a bottle of washer fluid and then shake it up good. Never had a problem with it freezing up. Shouldn't be enough alcohol to ruin things but you might want to try it on a hidden painted spot on the car to make sure it doesn't mark the paint if you want to be safe.

Just make sure you buy actual rubbing alcohol, and NOT nail polish remover. The two items are right next to each other on the store shelves, and look identical, so read the label! Nail polish remover will almost certainly damage your paint, since the main ingredient is Acetone (aka, paint thinner)

2018 PHEV
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the information.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page