Some Interesting Observations at 3 Degrees Fahrenheit - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
hahahaha.! but can we still drive after we are out of fuel on our phev !
I'm told that the car will go into some sort of a "limp mode" if you run it out of gas... like letting you drive a max of 20mph or something until the battery also dies. I wouldn't recommend testing that
lafe005 likes this.

2018 PHEV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:49 PM

Beats walking!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:27 AM
Mal

How great would it be to be able to tell the PHEV to use a bit of that charging current to pre heat the interior? Great feature in my daughter's Leaf.
charlesH likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
How great would it be to be able to tell the PHEV to use a bit of that charging current to pre heat the interior? Great feature in my daughter's Leaf.
I think we can all agree with that. The lack of an electric heating element is really my only complaint about this car so far, after 10k miles.

I am not surprised that the HEV doesn't have it, because their engines get warm pretty early in every drive anyways. But leaving it off the PHEV was a mistake, I think. We want to be able to drive 24-26 miles without using any gas (because that's why we bought the PHEV over the HEV), but in the winter that simply isn't possible unless you want to freeze inside the cabin.

2018 PHEV
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 03:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
I think we can all agree with that. The lack of an electric heating element is really my only complaint about this car so far, after 10k miles.

I am not surprised that the HEV doesn't have it, because their engines get warm pretty early in every drive anyways. But leaving it off the PHEV was a mistake, I think. We want to be able to drive 24-26 miles without using any gas (because that's why we bought the PHEV over the HEV), but in the winter that simply isn't possible unless you want to freeze inside the cabin.
This has been an ongoing discussion on this forum for as long as I've been here. It turns out the Niro PHEV does have a 1KW electric heater that is used to supplement engine heat when cold. It's not nearly as effective as the similarly sized unit in my '10 VW Golf, but it's there and it does provide some warmth while the little ICE is warming up.

Of course, if there was a larger electric heater that could warm the cabin on its own it would probably significantly affect the battery range. For example, the heater in the Tesla Model 3 is somewhere around 4KW, 4 times the size of the one in the Niro. That's a big draw on the relatively small battery in the Niro (9kWh for the Kia vs 75kWh for the Tesla).

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:11 PM
Mal

Just for grins I put a 250 watt AC heater in my Soul. On a 30 something degree day, it barely broke the chill in 2 hrs. I was surprised it took so much to heat an interior. Still the proportion of 8900 watt/hrs that 500 watt/hrs would take seems a no brainer for using a resistance heater to pre heat during charge.

If you could run that 1kw heater for a couple hrs before a drive on the charger, that should do it. Seems like that could even be a software mod.....

Last edited by Mal; 01-26-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page