Induction Cleaning Howto. - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Induction Cleaning Howto.

2 ways to do this.

Remove the entire Hose Assembly and set aside, or open the vacuum port.

For best results have a helper. You might be able to get it going with a stick or something, but since there is no mechanical linkage to push open, somebody/something has to press the "drive by wire" go-go pedal.

All you need is a 10mm and the elbow (Hose Assembly air Intake)comes off. The MAF is before the elbow.

You can see the PCV hose in the picture also.

There are no moving parts here, but it might be hot.

When making the car engine run, it will sound very different without the hose assembly. The car ECU will sort of lose it's mind with the intake bypassed and the MAF not reading anything. Just making the engine run takes a very unusual foot pedal position. It will not idle because of start/stop. So you have to keep your foot into it.

Set the heater on "HIGH" might help with just keep the engine running. Niro wants to turn the gas burner off.

It will take a good 5~10 minutes to get the can of the CRC Intake cleaner squirted in.

This is a $15 job you can do in your driveway. How much does the dealer want for this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HOSE ASSEMBLY-AIR INTAKEs.png
Views:	71
Size:	893.7 KB
ID:	4507  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:37 PM

I wondering why you thought it was necessary to do this? Is your car having problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carmichael View Post
The car ECU will sort of lose it's mind with the intake bypassed and the MAF not reading anything.
I wonder if there might be any unintended consequences here. I suspect that this would induce the car into "limp mode". I imagine it might also turn on the MIL light. Not sure what else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carmichael View Post
Just making the engine run takes a very unusual foot pedal position. It will not idle because of start/stop. So you have to keep your foot into it.

Set the heater on "HIGH" might help with just keep the engine running. Niro wants to turn the gas burner off.
I haven't actually tried this, but I've read that there is an "Engine Forced Activation Mode". The procedure I read calls for setting the parking brake, with your foot OFF the brake pedal and the car off, hit the Start button twice, then (while in Park), press the accelerator twice, shift to Neutral and press the accelerator two more times, shift back to Park and press the accelerator two more times, and then put your foot on the brake pedal and hit the Start button once. You need to do all that in 60 seconds or less.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I haven't actually tried this, but I've read that there is an "Engine Forced Activation Mode". The procedure I read calls for setting the parking brake, with your foot OFF the brake pedal and the car off, hit the Start button twice, then (while in Park), press the accelerator twice, shift to Neutral and press the accelerator two more times, shift back to Park and press the accelerator two more times, and then put your foot on the brake pedal and hit the Start button once. You need to do all that in 60 seconds or less.
Interesting info to try.

I am an Occam's razor kind of guy though. All those steps, or have someone else press the gas pedal.

An example, when you change the oil in the Niro, I just open the maintenance screen, scroll to the maintenance interval, then hold the ok button to reset it. I don't have to find out how to do it in some youtube video, or this forum, or the dealer, it just right there nice and easy.

My truck though, every time I have to reset the oil service due light. It's "pull your ear, stand on one leg, hop 4 times, switch legs, hop 6 times, turn around clockwise 2 times, lean forward, lean back, eight times." But to reset the mpg, just tap the right arrow.

As for taking off the "elbow" and making the car go into limp mode, as soon as you turn the car off, and then put the hose back on, the ECU reads that it's working again, and the code goes away.

As for your question as to why to do this...

Just search GDI intake valve cleaning.

It's a 3 design combination.
1-PCV
2-EGR
3-GDI, this is by far the biggest reason why. There is simply no cleaning from the fuel on the intake valves.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ect-injection/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page