Oil Change U-Tube - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PAULRIDES

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Oil Change U-Tube

I started a Post March, 2017 requesting INFO on Maintenance, in particular Oil Change.

Had a couple responses that were good with pictures showing "What To Do" then later a U-Tube showing "What to Do". You may see that Topic as I recently recalled it.

The link to the U-Tube Video was originally posted as a reply by HANOIHANCOCK on Sep, 2017. I copied it here.

I did finally do my oil change (second one as dealer did first one FREE) and the info from the post topic was a big help.

By The Way, I had the same issues others have had (took a lot of torque to get the Oil Filter and Pan Plug off).

Plus an additional problem I had was I bought a FRAM Filter to replace the KIA Filter and a wrench to fit the FRAM Filter.

FOR INFO -- The FRAM Filter wrench was a tad small to fit the original KIA Filter. Fortunately, I have a neighbor that had the correct size wrench and was able to use his wrench.

PS: YOU WILL NEED a wrench that goes onto the bottom of the filter as the filter is recessed.
Roadkill401 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PAULRIDES; 02-21-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

I am curious. did you look into what the dealer was going to charge for the oil change? If, what was that cost?

I know that you likely have your own tools and oil pan, but what was the cost of the Fram filter and the cost of theoil (what brand?). I am just trying to get an idea as to if there is any major cost savings in doing it yourself. I know that some prefer to do it themselves as they can attest to it getting done right and you know what you put in it, where the dealer you are hoping they are honest. I am guessing the oil is black like in the video. did you use ramps like what was suggested in the video? I know shotgun barrage of questions.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

I copy the post I made when I changed my oil (my first oil change, second for the car was March, 2018) in answer to your question about cost. COST for that change is BOLD FACED BELOW.

Copy of Post --- Pictures are on the original post.
Thanks to BWHIT for the first "How To Do Oil Change" and to HANOIHANCOCK for the Video on "How To Do Oil Change" cause it made it easier for me.

Not much I can add to their INFO -- maybe something here to help someone.

EASIER, but messed with it for about 3 Hours cause did not have the oil filter wrench size needed to take the original oil filter off (It's about 81MM size). After trying everything I could, I gave up and called the neighbor. He had the wrench, should have called earlier GROAN.

Anyway, the rest of the oil change was easy enough.

I use 2 x 8s (three stack) to get car up for access to the Filter and Darin Plug.

Take the Oil Fill Cap off to help the drain process.

As BWHIT stated, takes a 10MM socket to get the covers for the Oil Filter and the Drain Plug off. It's easy to take off the covers.

As BWHIT stated, it takes a 17MM socket for the drain plug. That thing was so tight I could not break it loose with about a foot long drive for the socket (laying under the car is not the best position to apply force to the wrench). I finally resorted to a breaker bar that was barely able to get on the socket and drain plug.

BTW, as someone else reported, pretty much took a wrench to get the drain plug out and back in. The threads are too tight for hand turning (almost thought the dang thing was cross threaded or something).

I had bought Oil (Valvoline Synthetic 5W-30 in a 5 quart container) for $21.98 plus tax, a FRAM TG9688 Filter for $8.99 plus tax, and a 75mm oil filter wrench for the FRAM Filter for $3.33 plus tax --- all at WALMART.

I tried about everything I could think of except to run a screwdriver thru the filter to get the Oil Filter off. FINALLY, called a neighbor that is into cars and he had a 81MM wrench that fit the original Oil Filter.

I did use a funnel to add oil and a rag around the area in case of a spill.

By the way, I recommend filling the new Oil Filter with oil (it takes awhile to fill it -- add oil and let it settle and add more). I also run a little new oil into the engine with the drain plug off to make sure all the old oil is out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PAULRIDES; 02-21-2019 at 05:24 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I copy the post I made when I changed my oil (my first oil change, second for the car was March, 2018) in answer to your question about cost. COST for that change is BOLD FACED BELOW. Well - show it here also.
I had bought Oil (Valvoline Synthetic 5W-30 in a 5 quart container) for $21.98 plus tax, a FRAM TG9688 Filter for $8.99 plus tax, and a 75mm oil filter wrench for the FRAM Filter for $3.33 plus tax --- all at WALMART.

Oil I have on hand (bought 1-24-2019) for next Oil Change (due soon) also bought at WALMART - VALVOLINE 5 quart 0w/20 Full Synthetic $22.97 +$0.10 TN Fee(5 qt), FRAM XG9688 Filter $9.63 -- Total with tax included $35.72.

I think the dealer quote on sign in waiting room is like $60, maybe $80 - call and ask your dealer. They will add tax to whatever is quoted, and some then add disposal fee extra. They do supposedly do an inspection and my dealer gives you a car wash.

However, don't forget the cost to drive to the dealer (in my case about 45 miles R/T, say a gallon of gas) and the time - 30 to 35 MIN drive to dealer and 30MIN to 35 MIN drive back (and leave maybe 10 MIN early when going to make sure I get there for the appointment - total 1 hour plus). Then seems when they did oil change FREE (first one) was there for an hour or two.

Time (for me to do it) -- it takes me an hour or two typically cause my tools, boards I use for ramp, oil catch container, in basement. So, I bring all I need up to the garage, then put car on ramp, then do the change, etc., etc. Then have to take all the stuff back to basement and take old oil to the dump (Free Disposal at our county dump).

Last edited by PAULRIDES; 02-21-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Sorry My Bad -- I was trying to adjust my first reply (above) about cost and trying to edit it. Wanted to cut it down and add some Info at same time. I got to a point it would not let me edit.

So, I added a SECOND reply and hoped could go back and delete the first reply (then realized no way to delete, so have two replies MY BAD).

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:19 PM

Disposal is often free at quick oil change businesses as well as repair shops. They sell it to recyclers.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Great info. I will ask why you chose 5w30? I know my manual here in Canada shows 0w20, so maybe it has to do with us getting far colder weather in the winter time. I also saw an interesting youtube video on AmazonBastics full synthetic oil. Its a bit of a tick off as it's availible in the USA but not here in Canada. We are stuck with some outragious prices for the oil, like in the $65-85 range for something name brand. There are the unknown ones like Golden Horse, and Ezol for less. I know that I have the first 2 years covered as I managed to get the dealership to cover all service as part of my deal with them. I guess I will be taking the time over the next bit to see if I can score a good sale on some synthetic motor oil.

GTA - Canada.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

My manual says 0W20 recommended (think all manuals say that).

I don't worry about the difference between 0W30 and 5W30 (looking at the temp range for those weights).

I probably just bought it because it was on sale.

DANG, $65 to $85 for the oil (I assume liters near 5 quarts). I hate to think what your dealer or service places would charge for an Oil Change with Filter.

You made a good deal with dealer (2 yr service) assuming rest of the deal was good (discount and trade in -- it is hard to evaluate a deal LOL).

I liked (fell in love) with the car and bought the first one this dealer had. I did not negotiate as I usually do, only got only $2000 off the price of MSRP Sticker $29,999 (so, $27,999) and what I thought was a reasonable trade for mine (barely reasonable, but got them up $2000 more than their original offer). I did't even get 10% off the price (DUMB ME, should have held out for $3000 discount at least). I am usually a hard sell and going from dealer to dealer. Didn't need to trade anyway as our NISSAN Rogue only had 50,000 some miles.

OIL CHANGE PRICES:

A service place along a major road here had good prices advertised for Oil Change (don't remember like $20 or $25). Usually a come on then they add disposal fees, etc. etc.

Anyway, I stopped into see what they would charge for a NIRO.

It was in 2017 when NIRO had not been sold here but a few months. I bought mine in Feb 2017, so probably was some time fall of 2017 when I stopped. I asked for estimate of cost with Synthetic Oil.

I think estimate like $60 or MORE (been awhile since I stopped there). I asked why so much higher than your advertised price. They said cause Synthetic is like $10 a quart (BS, just saw it at WALMART for around $22 to $35 for 5 quart container on sale and brand for 5 QUART). Car only takes 4 quarts -- so be someplace around $20 or $22 for needed 4 quarts (and their cost less I imagine).

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

My dealer charges $60 for an oil change. So I asked if that was for the Niro, and they told me that the cost is the same for any Kia that you bring in. So effectively, it works out cheeper to get the oil changed at the dealership than buy a 5L jug of synthetic and do it myself. Now as I am getting the first 4 changed done at the dealership, I will check to make sure they are using the 0w20 oil and not whatever is cheepest. The price is just very high for specific 0w20 oil. If I use 5w30, then sure, I can get that for about $30 and it is carried just about everywhere. I don't know what makes 0w20 so hard to get and thus stores charge an ultra premium for it.

GTA - Canada.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
My dealer charges $60 for an oil change. So I asked if that was for the Niro, and they told me that the cost is the same for any Kia that you bring in. So effectively, it works out cheeper to get the oil changed at the dealership than buy a 5L jug of synthetic and do it myself. Now as I am getting the first 4 changed done at the dealership, I will check to make sure they are using the 0w20 oil and not whatever is cheepest. The price is just very high for specific 0w20 oil. If I use 5w30, then sure, I can get that for about $30 and it is carried just about everywhere. I don't know what makes 0w20 so hard to get and thus stores charge an ultra premium for it.
I can't offer any informed thoughts on the pricing question. I will suggest that you take a close look at your oil on the dipstick before you go in and again after you get it back. I had an unfortunate experience last year with my Honda where the dealer claimed to have changed the oil, but it didn't look like new oil on the dipstick to me when I got it back. My bad for not even looking at it before I brought it in.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page