Interesting scan tool data - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 91cavgt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Interesting scan tool data

I’ve had a basic scan tool for years and decided to hook it up to my HEV Niro to see exactly what the gas engine is doing. So here are some things that I have noticed.

1. Cruising rpm at 60 mph in 6th gear is 2,000 rpm. This means 75 mph in 6th gear is 2500 rpm and 45 mph in 6th gear is 1500 rpm.

2. When you first start it up in the morning, the engine idles at 1500 rpm.

3. The factory coolant temp gauge is useless. The second bar lights up when the engine temp is at about 130 degrees. Each subsequent bar lights up in roughly 6 degree increments. The last bar, one below half on the gauge, lights up when the engine temp is at about 157 degrees. It then stays there for a very long range. The hottest my Niro has gotten so far is 203 degrees, and the temp gauge reads the same as when the temp is at 157 degrees! What in the world?

4. Ignition timing advance typically is mid 20s to mid 30s.

5. ECM battery voltage fluctuates between 12.6 volts to 14.5 volts.

Is there any engine parameter that any of you want to know about? If my scanner can read the data then I will post it up. This is a Scan Gauge II.
Dovidan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Roy

Are you finding the mpg reading about the same as Niro gauge?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

I have not even checked.

Here are the parameters that I can monitor. This allows 4 parameters to be monitored at a time.

Coolant temp
Average fuel economy
Horsepower
Voltage at the ECM
intake air temp
Gallon per hour fuel useage
Ignition timing
Engine load
Open/closed loop
MAP signal
Instant MPG
MPH
RPM
Throttle position sensor
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:35 PM

My Ultragauge gives me a few more PIDs to choose from, but most are just unusable facts.

I turn right at 2050 at 60 MPH with my Touring's bigger tires.

Idle speed varies a lot, sometimes as low as 700 and other times as high as in the 2000's. All depends on the temperature and state of charge, I'm guessing.

It takes around 2 1/2 miles of driving to hit 150 degrees, that's where I turn on the heat if I need it. Hottest I have seen is around 220 in the hot NC summers. Generally runs just over 200 under normal conditions, my normal conditions are 30 miles at highway speeds.

Voltage output is quite high, over 14 volts is not uncommon at the OBD2 port.

Mine averages near 44 MPG, the factory gauge is not accurate at all, in either direction. The Ultragauge records MPG's for every time you start the engine, sometimes I will see 60 or more on the Ultragauge, but the factory gauge rarely ever shows anything close to that, overall my 44 MPG is right in line with the factory gauge, but on short trips the factory gauge is useless.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:11 PM

The OBD2 readout on instant mpg is fixed at 37 mpg at most speeds above 30 with ICE on. This frustrating reading caused me to lose interest in constant monitoring.

My suspicion is that voltage has to be over 14V to charge the 12 volt battery on the models equipped with a lithium battery. The PHEV reading with a lead acid battery may be more normal. Laptop chargers are routinely 14.5 volts I think.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The OBD2 readout on instant mpg is fixed at 37 mpg at most speeds above 30 with ICE on. This frustrating reading caused me to lose interest in constant monitoring.

My suspicion is that voltage has to be over 14V to charge the 12 volt battery on the models equipped with a lithium battery. The PHEV reading with a lead acid battery may be more normal. Laptop chargers are routinely 14.5 volts I think.
My instant MPG changes constantly, probably every 2 seconds. When the ICE shuts off, sometimes it will get a wierd reading like 248.6 before going to 999.9 and open loop. When the ICE kicks back on, its an instant change.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:09 PM

Interesting. Wonder if my scan tool uses a different PID. Mine wasn't at a fixed 37 mpg whole number, it varied constantly by a few hundredths or tenths.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Interesting. Wonder if my scan tool uses a different PID. Mine wasn't at a fixed 37 mpg whole number, it varied constantly by a few hundredths or tenths.
Ultragauge doesn't use a PID to get instant MPGs. It uses fuel used and miles driven. The fuel used is calculated by pulse time on each injector and fuel flow PIDs and miles driven are from a PID.

At least thats what I think is happening from lots of Ford Fusion Hybrid forum research from my last car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page