This crappy cruise control - Page 3 - Kia Niro Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:03 PM

SCC and CC on 2017 Niro LX

Just finished a trip from US west coast (CA) to east coast (MD) and back mainly following I-80 and I-70 for the total of 6293 miles (10125 km). For the whole trip I have used cruise control set at 70 MPH (112 km/h) whenever it was possible, for SCC the longest distance and slow response settings was selected.
The outside temperature ranged from 40F to 96F in all kinds of weather conditions including thunderstorms and heavy winds. The climate control was set to 73F in the automatic mode for the whole trip.

In the eastbound direction (CA to MD) I have used only CC (not SCC) and adjusted the speed manually on the steering wheel as the traffic required.

In the westbound direction (MD to CA) only SCC (not CC) was used.
The SCC is very nice in following the vehicle in front of you and keeping the set distance in a straight line. If the road turns, slopes up or down or a vehicle moves in or out of lane the SCC may decide to accelerate or slow down and it is difficult to predict. The net result is less smooth operation of the vehicle, lower mileage and possible dangerous situations if the vehicle behind you is following closely. The SCC slowed the vehicle down several time in turns with no other vehicles around, possibly picking signal from road signs or pieces of debris at the side of the road or on the road.

Overall the vehicle performed flawlessly and for the 6293 miles travelled used 123.204 gallon of gasoline that equals to impressive 51.08 MPG (4.7 l/100 km), mostly in cruise control mode with minimal driver intervention.
Dovidan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 PM

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for the great report also detailing your settings, MPG... Just two questions: I
1. Is your Niro HEV or PHEV?
2. What sort of load did you have in the car (passengers, gear...)?
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:08 PM

cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for the great report also detailing your settings, MPG... Just two questions: I
1. Is your Niro HEV or PHEV?
2. What sort of load did you have in the car (passengers, gear...)?
The vehicle is 2017 HEV LX with the tech package.
Only one person in the vehicle, total load approx. 200 kg (450 LB)

I wanted to test the cruise control , if you drive the car without the CC the mileage will be better or worse depending on your driving style.
Most of the time the "green" score was listed as 7 and in areas of high (head) wind it dropped to 6. And I tried to keep the speed as close to 70 MPH as possible.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:12 AM

Unless your concentration is intense and unlimited, your mpg will be better on standard CC (whose concentration is intense and unlimited).

In the old days with the ultralight and underpowered subcompacts I used to drive (none had CC), it was easy to discern a slight engine tone change and change the pedal setting before the speedo changed. I was pretty focused in my youth, in fact I think under those circumstances I was able to hold a set speed better than modern CC all day long. No way could I manage that in the Niro.

But I must say I wonder why modern CC cannot hold a speed on hills. Millions of inputs per second speed and load, electronic control, and it will still drop or exceed by a mph commonly and slightly more on certain hills. I suspect there is no inclinometer or accelerometer installed but for the buck it would cost, I'd think programming could be far better.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:34 PM

the automatic safety features are a major reason i chose my niro PHEV. best part was the majority of them came with the base model. i love ACC because i donít have to constantly adjust it in traffic and it maintains distance from the vehicles in front of me. itís not perfect though and traffic moving into my lane can be a problem especially at highway interchanges so i avoid driving in the right lane and if i do i usually turn it off. it also brakes aggressively for no apparent reason occasionally. there was a large trailer ahead of me in the next lane the last time it happened and i thought that might be the reason. lastly, i would prefer that it bring the car to a complete stop like my subaru eyesight system.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:48 PM
Mal

The more I use the adaptive cruise, the more I like it. It and the autonomous braking combined with lane keeping makes me think that the car is just a software upgrade from autopilot. Disconnecting autonomous braking at near a stop and disconnecting lane keep without steering input are all that would need to be overridden/modified. I'm sure it wouldn't be up to Tesla trustworthyness, but useful none the less.

I'm also sure that KIA's lawyers won't let it happen but I'd sure buy into it.

Last edited by Mal; 07-19-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well, the Niro EV does have stop and go ACC, so there's no reason we couldn't have it in ours. I doubt they have any different sensors than we do.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Well, the Niro EV does have stop and go ACC, so there's no reason we couldn't have it in ours. I doubt they have any different sensors than we do.
The difference is the lack of an electronic parking brake. That seems to be required for most if not all cars that have true stop/start ACC. I'm not sure why it's required but evidently there's an issue with maintaining brake pressure with the car stopped.

Looks like it might be coming in future HEV and PHEV Niros:

https://press.kia.com/eu/en/home/med...aded_Niro.html

Not that that helps us.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:31 PM
Mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Unless your concentration is intense and unlimited, your mpg will be better on standard CC (whose concentration is intense and unlimited).

In the old days with the ultralight and underpowered subcompacts I used to drive (none had CC), it was easy to discern a slight engine tone change and change the pedal setting before the speedo changed. I was pretty focused in my youth, in fact I think under those circumstances I was able to hold a set speed better than modern CC all day long. No way could I manage that in the Niro.

But I must say I wonder why modern CC cannot hold a speed on hills. Millions of inputs per second speed and load, electronic control, and it will still drop or exceed by a mph commonly and slightly more on certain hills. I suspect there is no inclinometer or accelerometer installed but for the buck it would cost, I'd think programming could be far better.
Actually as far as efficiency a constant throttle setting is more efficient than a constant speed. The drop in speed might well be intentional to increase economy. I've had cruise drop to 45 when set at 70 on a long grade. The battery went to 2%. Without cruise, the car would maintain 70 but barely.

Also remember that the lane exiting ahead unwanted slow down can be overridden with the accelerator and still keep cruise on.

Incidentally I've gone from being annoyed by adaptive cruise and lane keep assist to loving them both and wanting more.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Actually as far as efficiency a constant throttle setting is more efficient than a constant speed.
That's true, but only the most annoying hypermilers will drive that way. For normal drivers, standard CC and maintaining a constant velocity is more efficient than manual control.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page