This crappy cruise control - Kia Niro Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

This crappy cruise control

I know that for many the standard cruise control on the Niro is a mystery on how, why and if it works. I am not talking about the advanced models that have sensors and adaptive functions. This is the standard cruise control that I have in my 2018 Niro EX.

I did a rather long trip out from the GTA to Mount Tremblant in Quebec, so there were many hours of driving involved along both multi-lane highways and backroads with speeds ranging from 60-100km/h so I would say I averaged around the 86km/h for the 9-hour trip there but it was a bit faster for the return as there were fewer road accidents to navigate around.

What really bugs me about the NIRO is there is no indicator that says what you have set your cruise control to. You are really just guessing. On my older Ford cars, you could see on the display (cruise:###) showing what speed it was set for.

What I have found on the cruise for the Niro is that as it doesn't have a real set speed, it will change on you as you go. So I could be set the speed on a highway for 106km/h and for the most part it will keep to around that speed. it will slow down a bit going up an incline, and will for the most part break to keep itself around that speed going down the other side. I don't expect it to stay exactly on 106.

But you will inevitably get stuck behind another vehicle that is going slower than you. Worst is when you are behind a vehicle going slightly slower than you. You can then choose to either slow down to match their speed and hope they have cruise control that acts like yours or speed up to pass them. So you indicate out to the next lane and step on the accelerator. You speed up and pass them, then indicate and go back into your original lane. But now you are driving faster.

- If you just let your food off the accelerator, the CC will break, then you will be going too slow and the vehicle now behind you will get ticked off, but your Niro will then kick into rapid power acceleration to try and get back to the right speed.
- If you ease off the accelerator to try and get the car to about the right speed but in a more controlled manner, the car will still continue to slow down below the set cruise speed and then rev temporarily up to power then settle back to running in cruise. However, it will now be at the wrong speed. As you accelerated it will pick a speed generally 2-5km faster than what you had it set at before depending on how much you pressed on the accelerator to overtake the slower vehicle.
- If you tap the break to kick it out of cruise, then get your car around the correct speed and then click up + for resume, it will not resume cruise but 2km faster than before, so you need to then cick down - to take off that extra 2km you didn't want.

Likewise, if you hit traffic that results in you needing to break, it will get you out of cruise control so you can slow down. GREAT. But if you then choose resume, it will do the opposite to what happens with acceleration. You will resume with the engine racing well into the power zone, then settling in at a speed slower than before.

If you are in cruise and you are on a hill, then the engine will seem to want to stall swapping gears down till too late to keep momentum and force the engine to rev into power. After you get up the hill it will keep the engine in too low of a gear so it's revving far higher than needed and simply eating up fuel. So word of wisdom is don't use cruise on hills.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Must be the difference with dynamic cruise. My dash shows the speed that is set, but only while it's engaged. If I cancel CC, the speed display changes to ---, but the set speed is still there because I can resume the previously set speed. Or, it could be that mine is a 2019 and they changed it for this year.
TheSilverFlash likes this.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:17 PM

My 2018 shows the set speed in standard and ACC and maintains set speed on hills. Standard cruise control works just like my last car, except my last car didn't show the set speed.

Don't all EXs have ACC? Switch to standard CC and you may find a lot of that irritating behavior goes away.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:11 AM

I've done that stretch of the 401 many times in the couple of years and CC seems to work just the same as in any car. Have an EX Prem. Will have to pay more attention next time, but haven't encountered what you're experiencing.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:47 AM

I have just a bare bones LX. The cruise control works just like my Prius did. No problems but I'm just used to bare bones options I guess. LOL.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
My 2018 shows the set speed in standard and ACC and maintains set speed on hills. Standard cruise control works just like my last car, except my last car didn't show the set speed.

Don't all EXs have ACC? Switch to standard CC and you may find a lot of that irritating behavior goes away.
In Canada, only the top of the line trim SX (2018-19 HEV, 2019 PHEV and 2019 EV) has the ACC. You have the ACC on your LX because you have the tech package that is available as an option in the US.
FlNiro likes this.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (8700 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:57 AM

I have the 2019 PHEV EX Premium that has the larger instrument panel screen and at the top it shows me the exact speed I have cruise set to. If cruise is cancelled it displays, "---" just like ATC said previously. I can also see the set speed on my speedometer and in the center of the screen if I switch over to the lane keep/SCC status screen.

I've noticed it bogs down a little bit on hills, but it will downshift pretty quickly to get back up to the set speed. Otherwise, on downhills and straightaways it holds pretty steady. If you have SCC, there are adjustments in the menu to change how quickly it adjusts which is nice. I've been playing with it to find my desired level of aggressiveness haha.

Maybe it's time to trade up for a PHEV with SCC???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 7.58.28 AM.png
Views:	22
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	5169  

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

Last edited by TheSilverFlash; 07-10-2019 at 08:05 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:34 PM

Oh, my! I guess you should have purchased the premium package... Our 2018 Kia Niro with premium package has absolutely fantastic cruise control! Others have outlined its features, but it is very easy to set, very easy to change what it's set to, easy to get out of and back into, follows the car in front of me at whatever speed it is going -- everything I want! We bought the premium package for the safety features and we absolutely love them. Neither of us wants to drive the old Prius any more. I really like their features and the way they implemented them!

(Well, it's now summer and the Prius air conditioning came on MUCH MUCH sooner than the Kia and it didn't blow hot air at us while it was thinking about cooling...)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:36 PM

Yeah it sux. Going up a small incline its like you floor it.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyn View Post
(Well, it's now summer and the Prius air conditioning came on MUCH MUCH sooner than the Kia and it didn't blow hot air at us while it was thinking about cooling...)
My PHEV Niro blows cold air almost immediately. Are you using the climate AUTO function? I set mine at AUTO and 68 degrees at first and then within a minute or two I have to go up to 73 otherwise it freezes me out.
drewesque likes this.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page