PHEV owners Oil change interval advice - Kia Niro Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

PHEV owners Oil change interval advice

Have a 2019 Niro PHEV with 3,500 miles on it as of today. Everything is fine on it as far as the vehicle oil level etc. I estimate engine has run for about 500 miles - the rest of the miles are running on electric. The vehicle has been in service for 4 months

I am interested in how other PHEV owners are handling their oil change intervals. Do you guy follow the severe duty schedule for oil change or the regular interval?

One part of me says follow the severe duty schedule and change out the oil, common sense tells me the oil will have maybe 500 miles on it.

Maybe for warranty purposes the severe duty schedule trumps everything else?

I will do my own oil changes as the only competent KIA dealer in my area is 60 miles away. That's a 2 hour drive to and from for an oil change not counting an hour or two waiting time. I can do it in 20 minutes in our garage. If the Dealer was closer I would probably let them do it. I already have a KIA brand oil filter and 0-20W synthetic oil.

Thanks in advance for your experiences and replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm in the same boat as you. Just under 3 months and getting close to 3000 miles. But since my driving doesn't meet their (KIA's) definition of severe, I'm going to stick with their 7500 mile service requirement. I even checked on that this morning, because I received an email from KIA suggesting I might be due for service. Not sure how many miles they think I drive in a month, but I did log into the user portal and it confirmed a 7500 mile oil change interval. Since it's a lease, I absolutely want to ensure I follow their schedule. But even though there are 3 KIA dealerships within 30 minutes of my home I'll still be doing the oil change myself. Old habits die hard.
Johnxyz likes this.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:02 PM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
You'll want to follow pretty closely to the recommended schedule during your warranty period to stay compliant. Keep all your records and receipts to prove the maintenance was done if you DIY. After your warranty is over, then do whatever you want (7500, 10000, 15000, etc.)

I wish Kia had based the oil change interval off of the gas miles and not the total miles like Ford and Chevy does with their PHEVs. I owned a Volt back in the day and you could go a max of two years between oil changes unless the computer told you to do it sooner. It based the mileage off of the gas miles, not the total miles. Since most of my miles in the Volt were electric, I could go about 18 months before the computer would tell me it was time for a change.
Johnxyz and atc98092 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Amen to keeping receipts. My GTI spun a rod bearing. Since it was covered under the CPO warranty, I needed to prove I changed the oil regularly. While I hadn't saved my receipts, I did buy my oil and filters from O'Reilly Auto parts, and used my Rewards card when I bought them. Their web site allows one to retrieve past purchases, and that gave me the proof of the dates I changed the oil, which VW accepted them. Would have been $10,000 out of my pocket if I hadn't come up with the proof of purchase. Instead I had a $50 co-pay. Yeah, I'll take it!
TK6 and Johnxyz like this.

Dan

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

I am going to start a folder on my desktop and scan my receipts into it. Great experience about having some way to access the receipts to prove the service was done.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:37 PM

My dealer tells me I must have oil changed every six months. My car and the manual both say every 7500 miles, no mention of time (it usually takes me at least 18 months to accumulate 7500 miles). I donít plan on keeping my Niro, so it probably doesnít matter. But, shame on Kia for wasting resources. Every modern car car with an ICE engine should be able to determine proper oil change intervals.
Dovidan likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:15 AM

Yesterday I took my 2018 PHEV (3,800 miles) into KIA for an oil change the first time since I purchased it in July 2018. The service tech also performed a multi-point vehicle inspection and an SA382 IGPM charging door operation logic covered under warranty. The oil change with state tax came to $89 which is the most I've ever paid for a dealer oil change. The service rep acknowledging my 1.5 hour drive to the dealership told me I could get an oil change closer to my home and be sure to save the receipt for warranty purposes. I thanked him but said once per year isn't a hardship and that I want to keep the car current with warranty fixes and computer updates. The last thing he told me was the 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance would be important and estimated it would cost me around $350. It's a ways off but I'll check my owner's manual to confirm.

2018 Niro EX PHEV- Aurora Black Pearl/Charcoal
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 02:34 AM

Mine cost $49 at the local Kia dealer, with synthetic oil. $49 is already steep, even for southern California. I can't imagine paying $89 for an oil change.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
My Outback 3.6R was about $90 the first oil change. I went to a different dealer for my 2nd change, simply because my selling dealer didn't have any service slots available on the day I had available. They did it for free since it was the first time I had used their dealership. That impressed me. However, I traded it for my Niro that afternoon.

Dan

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke View Post
Yesterday I took my 2018 PHEV (3,800 miles) into KIA for an oil change the first time since I purchased it in July 2018. The service tech also performed a multi-point vehicle inspection and an SA382 IGPM charging door operation logic covered under warranty. The oil change with state tax came to $89 which is the most I've ever paid for a dealer oil change. The service rep acknowledging my 1.5 hour drive to the dealership told me I could get an oil change closer to my home and be sure to save the receipt for warranty purposes. I thanked him but said once per year isn't a hardship and that I want to keep the car current with warranty fixes and computer updates. The last thing he told me was the 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance would be important and estimated it would cost me around $350. It's a ways off but I'll check my owner's manual to confirm.
Hawke: That seems pretty reasonable to me in W WA. Getting the full inspection (assuming they actually do it rather than just check the boxes) gives a bit of assurance nothing it heading south in a hurry. Which dealer did you go to?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page