USB Charger in glove box - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

USB Charger in glove box

I had the opportunity to use the usb charger in the glove box during a 7 hour road trip.
I have to say that I'm not really impressed. I plugged in with 28% charge at the beginning of the trip and by the time I got home it had charged to approx 70%.
This is not very impressive at all.
I'm guessing that it's meant to be more of a 'charge maintainer'.

Has anyone had similar experience or is my usb charger not performing as it should?

BTW, phone is a standard LG G4.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 12:23 PM

Is there other USB connectors other than in the glove box [obviously I currently don't own a Nero... yet]? If so, does it charge better? Also, what do you have running on the phone, as it could be that some apps could be draining faster than the charging... I used to have that problem with the older versions of Google maps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:23 PM

I'm not trying to be picky but I'm guessing you mean in the center armrest console and not the glovebox that is in front of the passenger seat in the dashboard? Agree it's not high powered and it should be.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks jmcging....yes I meant the centre console.
Also, myronbg, there is another usb connector but my understanding is that is an input device only, and not meant for charging...but I'll give it a try anyway next time.

Thanks for the responses, both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 10:23 AM

I use the 12v plug in for my phones. I don't use the USB adaptor because then I have to deal with Apple or Android Car Play that I don't use currently. My phones charge very fast.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicbill View Post
thanks jmcging....yes I meant the centre console.
Also, myronbg, there is another usb connector but my understanding is that is an input device only, and not meant for charging...but I'll give it a try anyway next time.

Thanks for the responses, both.
The USB between the two 12v outlets does charge.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyandSam View Post
The USB between the two 12v outlets does charge.
Yes but slowly.

I use the USB port under the center arm rest it seems to work a bit better, although neither are stellar.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

I trued to plug in my LG G5 into that plug and it doesn't even recognize any power from it. I would guess that it's likely a 0.5A charge power, so not enough to actually charge any of the newer phones. My LG requires at least a 1.5A source to start charging. And as it's Qualicom Quickcharge 3.0, you might as well just use a 12v adaptor that is designed for this task. I was not happy and have complained to the dealer and am insisting that they fix it as it was advertised as a USB charger, but as it doesn't even give as much amperage as the one in the front dash, I am to take it it's not working.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page