2017 Niro rear view mirror - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By fredct

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

2017 Niro rear view mirror

Folks, I have an issue with the rear view mirror in my 2017 Niro. A seemingly silly one, but an issue nonetheless! I cannot get it to adjust to allow me to see out the back window. It's tilted all the way up but not up enough for me to see out. All I can see is the top of the back seat. I've moved the seat back and forward, up and down but wherever I sit I can't tilt the mirror up enough for me to see anything but the back seat. It will tilt down but just doesn't tilt up enough for me. I'm average height so that shouldn't be an issue. I took it to the dealer for a recall issue and asked them to look at it, thinking that it could be some sort of adjustment but they said they can't do anything about it. It's a bit frustrating and painful to have to scrunch my neck to see what's in back. Any advice?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:33 PM

For starters, if you don't use the rear seats frequently, fold them for better visibility. You can also remove the headrests. I also remove the front passenger headrest for better side visibility, both direct, and via my rear view mirror (aftermarket longer and slightly curved to reduce right rear blind spot). Seat all the way up also provides better vision.

You may have already tried this, but getting the mirror as high as possible gets you the best rear view. There are two pivots on the mirror mechanism. First, tilt the mirror all the way down at the pivot connected to the back of the mirror. Next, reach behind the mirror and push up on the bar that is between the window and the mirror all the way until it stops. Now adjust the mirror tilt back up so you have the best view by keeping the attachment bar in the same place, just using the pivot on the back of the mirror, not the pivot on the window. Done!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 PM

I have to imagine you have it in “night mode” which is for when people behind you at night have their brights on or very bright lights.

You push or pull the little black tab at the bottom and it will change the angle of the mirror. See th black tab in the bottom center of the mirror in the image at the top of the page here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-view_mirror
yticolev and KK6PD like this.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 10:54 AM

I forgot about that possibility since my third party mirror doesn't have it. However, no matter the tab position, manual adjustment will always show both positions, clear and dimmed depending on the tilt.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page