Ice on windshield inside the car - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I called my local Lockwood Kia dealer and explained what it was doing and they gave the same shpeel about moisture inside the car and that it is common in all cars. The down side of trying to take the car to a dealership is you will need to defrost the car to be able to drive it to them so you are solving the problem before they get it. I happen to have my wifes car in for bodywork after some nimrod decided to drive between two lanes at a stoplight and take off (thank goodness for dash cams), so the car is at their bodywork facility for a week. Told them to take a better look at it as well as the smell with the washer fluid as I think the two might be connected.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:26 AM

Frost on the inside of the windshield is a major problem here in upstate NY where it often gets below zero..............there are several reasons for this, NONE of which are the fault of Kia or Niro...............

I added rubber floor mats with deeps ridges and wells to catch water from slush, snow, melted snow etc..........this adds MOISTURE in the vehicle atmosphere which WILL make it's way to the windshield and frost/freeze, (even if you have only carpeted floor mats)............... bear with me THERE IS A FIX

I tried DAMP RID, no luck, I tried applying RAIN X, NO luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have READ but NOT tried, adding cat litter to a sock and leaving on dash board to absorb extra moisture (didn't want to do this for many reasons but I have read good results for some people)

What I do know DOES work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,leave front windows open just a tiny hairline and the outside air will help dry any cabin moisture...........I tried it and whalloa! No more interior frost ANYWHERE
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

If you look at the climate control system as a whole. when the system is running it is bringing in fresh air from outside and running it through a heat transfer system and pushing it into the cabin. Likewise, there is an air return system that vents the air from inside the cabin back to the outside. If you select the recycle option on the dash, the return air gets redirected to the incoming air flow over the heat transfer system and in theory will warm up faster than if it was brought in from the outside, but at the expense of your not getting fresh air from outside so whatever is in the inside air stays inside. The Niro has an AUTO selection that will move the air flow around the car in order to best heat/cool based on its own algorithm. Also, the car has automatic defog where it has a sensor on the top of the windshield to detect moisture and force the air to be routed to the front and side windshields as well it kicks off the recycle function.

If you are running any climate control, and have not been forcing recycle on at every opportunity, then the car will be refreshing the air inside the car with new air from outside, much like leaving your window open a crack as you drive. So the car should be replacing the moist air from your breathing along with the extra moisture from what is kicked off from snow on your feet/clothing during a reasonable length drive in the car. Compared to many other cars, it seems the Niro doesn't do a very good job of moving enough air or the air it is bringing in is routing through an area that is prone to picking up moisture that other vehicles do not. This last point might be the case as it is clearly shown when you run the windshield washer and you get a strong smell of washer fluid. that smell is not coming through the windshield but from the venting system. So there must be an air in port right around the front bottom of the windshield. As you defrost the windshield, any moisture from snow/ice will run down to the bottom and collect. It is impossible in the winter time when you clear the windshield of snow to remove all snow and ice from the bottom part below where the wiper blades rest. There is a black plastic bit that runs between the windshield/body and the hood over the engine compartment. That part will be warmed up by the heat inside the engine and the heat from defrosting the windshield. On my wife's 2006 Kia Sportage, even the front windshield has an electric heating element that ran the full length of the bottom of the windshield to help keep the windshield wiper blades warm so that ice would not form on them and make them work better. I don't know enough about the Niro to know if it has this feature as well, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. So if that is also where the Niro gets it fresh outside air from, that air will be extra moist from running over this warmed wet patch. So I would say it is the NIRO's fault that there is way too much ice in the windshield in a very cold morning as by it's bad design they are making the matter far worse than it needs to be.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddarrah View Post
I have READ but NOT tried, adding cat litter to a sock and leaving on dash board to absorb extra moisture (didn't want to do this for many reasons but I have read good results for some people)
If you try it, place the sock under my seat on the floor.!

@Roadkill401 : Do you think that it could be the "climate control air filter" that can cause this problem ? found this in the manual with the "Auto defogging system" option. I will try this later on tonight! Ohh another thing, one of my contact at the dealer told me yesterday night that it's not considered to use the "auto" button when it'soooo cold outside ! He says that it's useless to use and is mode for mild and warm temparatures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 12_05_08-Kia Niro 2019 - User Manual - eng (HEV & PHEV).pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro.png
Views:	46
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	4481   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 12_05_41-Kia Niro 2019 - User Manual - eng (HEV & PHEV).pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro.png
Views:	42
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	4483   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 12_06_04-Kia Niro 2019 - User Manual - eng (HEV & PHEV).pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro.png
Views:	42
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	4485   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 12_04_50-Kia Niro 2019 - User Manual - eng (HEV & PHEV).pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro.png
Views:	37
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	4487  

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lafe005; 01-31-2019 at 12:14 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:35 PM

Cracking the window works on all cars including the Niro. I will say the Niro fogs and frosts easier than other cars I have owned. I wonder if that is because the windshield is less vertical than any other car I've owned.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Cracking the window works on all cars including the Niro. I will say the Niro fogs and frosts easier than other cars I have owned. I wonder if that is because the windshield is less vertical than any other car I've owned.
Cracking ? you mean give it a "gap" open ?

I had the same problem with my 2013 Rio5 and my wife with her Hyundai 2014 Accent...

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:30 PM

Really? You don't crack windows in Canada? You say open a very small amount or very small gap? Same with doors then? Gap the door please?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Really? You don't crack windows in Canada? You say open a very small amount or very small gap? Same with doors then? Gap the door please?
We do crack windows... however, I'm not sure they do in all of Quebec. It doesn't translate well in french.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Yes, we do some times make an "overture" of our windows...!
For me a "gap" is an overture.. small gap (1-2 inch) opening of the window.. anyway.. crack, gap, overture, opening, etc... same thing ...

@Congee, hahaha.!! you're a very funny person.!

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
Cracking ? you mean give it a "gap" open ?

I had the same problem with my 2013 Rio5 and my wife with her Hyundai 2014 Accent...

Yes, leave it open just a tiny bit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page