Ice on windshield inside the car - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Ice on windshield inside the car

Yes, it is really cold, but something that I have noticed the was never a case with any of my past cars is the amount of ice that is forming on the inside of the windshield. This has me more wondering as it might tie in with the distinct smell of windshield washer fluid when you use the washer/wiper option. As I get this issue with both of my Niro's, I am wondering if this is just a design issue. Tag that along with it takes just about forever for the engine to warm up, and the defrost option even with the aux heater takes just too long to work. If it was condensation inside, then just having luke warm air would work, but this is a good 1mm of ice. Short of using an actual ice scraper on the inside of the windshield, you are stuck to see. I was told on past vehicles that trying to clean that off just makes the situation worse as you end up with smudge marks and haze on the inner part that then requires a good cleaning. Not something that you'd plan on doing every time you get into your car to drive, especially in the freezing cold of winter.

What is the interior ice situation like for others in cold climates?

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hi Roadkill401, It happens more the car is shut down when the selector is at the defrost and there is water or snow on the carpet of the vehicule. i use a wool sock with some cat's litter in it. placed under my seat, it absorb a lot of humidity in the car. for now it works, even when i had my Rio5..

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 12:45 PM

No better or worse than any other car I've had .. I use the Weathertech mats so the carpeting doesn't hold much water. When it is real cold, windows do frost up but the one button on the console clears it up quickly (although it takes heat away from the feet.) You are sure it is not cursing while driving the 401 in T.O.? (only joking I grew up there now live in Ottawa). As you know January has been super cold and super snowy (with more on the way). The cold really kills the fuel economy.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbnx View Post
I use the Weathertech mats so the carpeting doesn't hold much water.
I have the same.. super good for all season..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbnx View Post
When it is real cold, windows do frost up but the one button on the console clears it up quickly (although it takes heat away from the feet.)
Wich one is that.! the defrost one ??

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
the defrost option even with the aux heater takes just too long to work.
Aux heater?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

i have the tuxmats so they are like the weathertec in the carpet doesn't absorb any of the water, it just pools at the bottom and then you have to deal with that as it melts. I had a Ford Edge before the Niro and it had the WeatherTec floor mats and to be honest I never had this sort of problem. But that was for the past 3 winters and not this one, so as it's not the at the same time, it is impossible to say that one car was better than the other. the 3 winters I had the Edge, I can't say we had it nearly as cold for as long with the same weather patterns and snow fall.

I will give putting a sock with some of the silica crystal litter to act as a moisture absorber to see if that helps out a bit. the Aux heater is the electric heater booster that is inside the car, but it seems in this -16c and lower temps does little to nothing and you are just stuck with cold air for at least 5-10 minutes for the engine to warm up sufficiantly to actually defrost the front. If everyone else is having the same problem then it's not a build problem but just a design issue/fact of life.
lafe005 likes this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:39 AM

Oh, you are talking about the PTC heater. No noticeable effect. No way to tell if it is even working, but it is on the parts list.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is really cold, but something that I have noticed the was never a case with any of my past cars is the amount of ice that is forming on the inside of the windshield. This has me more wondering as it might tie in with the distinct smell of windshield washer fluid when you use the washer/wiper option. As I get this issue with both of my Niro's, I am wondering if this is just a design issue. Tag that along with it takes just about forever for the engine to warm up, and the defrost option even with the aux heater takes just too long to work. If it was condensation inside, then just having luke warm air would work, but this is a good 1mm of ice. Short of using an actual ice scraper on the inside of the windshield, you are stuck to see. I was told on past vehicles that trying to clean that off just makes the situation worse as you end up with smudge marks and haze on the inner part that then requires a good cleaning. Not something that you'd plan on doing every time you get into your car to drive, especially in the freezing cold of winter.

I don't have any first-hand experience with interior frost on the Niro, due to the climate where I currently find myself. But when I lived in more northern climes, I had a habit of always cracking the window on other cars I've owned (even in sub-zero degrees F) until the defroster was at a point where it could be effective. The idea there (which seemed to work for me) was that your breath can fog and even ice the interior windshield, but if you crack the window, the interior humidity doesn't build as fast. I also do this when it's a reasonably warm day, but raining, and I've just gotten in the car with damp clothing. It seems to forestall the time when I'll actually need to defog the windows (which otherwise occurs very quickly if I have damp clothing on a rainy day).

Most modern cars automatically engage the A/C when you turn on the defroster. They do that for two reasons: one is to dry the air, the other is to circulate lubricant through your A/C plumbing. Your A/C system will be happier if you allow it to run every so often, even in the winter. So if you're manually turning off the A/C after you hit the defrost button, you might be shooting yourself in the foot in two different ways. I try to let the A/C run for at least two minutes every month in the winter, in order to keep the various rubber seals from drying out. Winter time use of the defogger usually makes this regimen almost automatic.

But with all that said, there is a fair amount of discussion in the owner's manual about how to respond to interior fogging problems. Enough discussion in fact that it kind of has a "bad smell". Sort of like when some product is "new and improved" and claims to no longer have "problem X" and you notice that it actually now has "problem X" when it never did before? As a wild guess: something about the Niro's fan-off ventilation system might be different, perhaps for fuel economy reasons. Maybe it's about the way the air-intakes are configured in proximity to the hood, or maybe it's kind of like modern aircraft that have discovered they could boost fuel efficiency by reducing the rate at which they allow external fresh air into the cabin. Although in the case of aircraft, they have to spend energy pressurizing any air they introduce, and that's not a requirement for a Niro.

Bottom line: try cracking your window until the ICE is warm enough to let the climate system blow heat, and try letting the A/C run, even in cold weather, if the defog button turned it on. And if those ideas fail, maybe go back and read the manual's discussion on the interior fogging topic. I don't trust my memory enough to confidently quote back everything I read about that a few months ago.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:

I'm getting the same thing. For me, its not just the windshield... every windshield has some interior frost. I've tried the moisture absorb stuff and not much use. I ask T.O. Kia to have a look a few weeks ago when it was in for factory recall stuff... they couldn't find it... or didn't bother to look. I do what I can to knock off as much snow off my boots... still same thing. ensure the bottom of the windshield is cleared of snow... comes back.

I too get the windshield fluid smell when I spray the windshield... maybe that is what it is...???

If anyone figures it out... please post their solution...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congee View Post
I'm getting the same thing. For me, its not just the windshield... every windshield has some interior frost. I've tried the moisture absorb stuff and not much use. I ask T.O. Kia to have a look a few weeks ago when it was in for factory recall stuff... they couldn't find it... or didn't bother to look. I do what I can to knock off as much snow off my boots... still same thing. ensure the bottom of the windshield is cleared of snow... comes back.
If you try not leaving the heating position on the defrost position. will it work ?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page