Cargo room - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 02:18 PM

1,300 is quite impressive, that translates into 2800lbs. I was thinking it will be something like 1500lbs. At least Kia is going the extra mile to ensure its as versatile as it can be. Almost all boxes will be checked off at this point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 AM

wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
1,300 is quite impressive, that translates into 2800lbs. I was thinking it will be something like 1500lbs. At least Kia is going the extra mile to ensure its as versatile as it can be. Almost all boxes will be checked off at this point
**** that's alot ! Definitely a big bonus to me for getting this car then!

What else do you have that's checked off at this point for this car?

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuron View Post
I looked it up and you're right, the Kia Niro Hybrid will be able to tow some things.
When it was still under camouflage, the Niro was caught towing a Picanto up a mountain of some kind so I checked the Kia site: "optional 1,300 kg towing capacity available from Q4 2016".

That's pretty substantial for a bike rack or even a tiny camper.
That's 2866 lbs More than most bikes and bike racks
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:24 PM

I looked at a Niro locally, to see whether a trailer hitch is offered as an option or if the underside had an appearance that suggested an aftermarket hitch might be possible. The dealer said no option for a trailer hitch. I told him that it was available on 2017 Niros in the U.K.--I saw it on a U.K. website. He did not know about this and did not seem interested so I got nowhere. But, in the USA I cannot find an option from Kia to add a trailer hitch or towing package on the Kia website. This is frustrating. Why would this be available in the U.K. and not in the USA? Looking underneath quickly was confusing. The dealer said it is a unibody and would not be possible to add an aftermarket hitch, but I think he did not really know this. However, there is a loose piece hanging in the back he said was the small LiIon battery, and that could be a problem in terms of fitting an aftermarket hitch. I am not that educated about the problems and limitations of adding an aftermarket hitch. Is there anyone else who is more knowledgeable and can comment on the aftermarket hitch prospects. The hitch is a deal-breaker for me...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:53 PM
Jay

You need to stop talking to that idiot dealer. Whether or not Kia offers the tow package in the US or not--the fact that it is available elsewhere means the Kia can tow. If Kia doesn't offer the tow kit in the US, the aftermarket will. If you don't want to wait, you could talk to a dealer in a country where the tow package is available and have them ship you one. The tow package is a tow bar mostly.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page