Roof Rack - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
I've just purchased a 2018 LX that includes "solid roof bars". I've asked 2 dealers about roof rack options without getting any particularly useful information. I'm considering purchasing these : https://www.micksgarage.com/d/roof-r...-2016-onwards- . The Kia racks are about double the price. However, I'm surprised that Kia only provides the "solid" roof bar option. This of course makes it impossible to feed a rope underneath the roof bars. I'd also appreciate hearing about other opinions/options. I intend to attach surfboard racks as well carry all sorts of other stuff (2x4 lumber. 4x8 drywall sheets etc).

John THANK YOU I just ordered these....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:55 AM

I just order a set as well. Thanks for the info.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack057 View Post
Just bought these and they are well worth the cost, dealer wants more than double the $$$$, look great on my 2017 lx niro

Mine arrived ultra fast from Mic's garage in Dublin. Installed them this past Saturday, nice looking, easy to use. Well worth the money. THANK YOU!
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:35 PM

I ordered mine on April 12th and didn't get them until April 20th. Just put them on yesterday. They look real good. Made a whistling noise this morning on the way to work. I need to add the rubber strips to the underside of the overhangs. I put them on in the bottom sides between the side rail supports and forgot the overhangs. The instructions are a little hard to follow and would have been better off just winging it.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:02 PM

I ordered from Mick's assuming they'd ship to the US. I got a tracking number but it's not for and carried here?
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:07 PM

Keys

I got my rails but I can't find the keys?
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
I've just purchased a 2018 LX that includes "solid roof bars". I've asked 2 dealers about roof rack options without getting any particularly useful information. I'm considering purchasing these : https://www.micksgarage.com/d/roof-r...-2016-onwards- . The Kia racks are about double the price. However, I'm surprised that Kia only provides the "solid" roof bar option. This of course makes it impossible to feed a rope underneath the roof bars. I'd also appreciate hearing about other opinions/options. I intend to attach surfboard racks as well carry all sorts of other stuff (2x4 lumber. 4x8 drywall sheets etc).

Thanks for the tip about micksgarage and for the confirming feedback from others. I've just placed an order for the Nordrive Aluminum crossbars from that website, keeping my fingers crossed that they'll arrive in a reasonable time and work ok on my 2018 PHEV. I've read that others were happy with the aluminum G3 crossbars for about $10 less, but the Nordrive product has a higher load rating and the outboard attachment clips appear to be a little more robust (based on some not-great photos). If I hadn't read it here, it never would have occurred to me that I might be able to purchase hardware from Ireland at a better price even with shipping charges than I can find in the USA. We'll see how this works out.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:29 AM

We got the KIA roof bars with our Niro - they seem to be a bit more aerodynamic than the shown on the photos here. Haven't installed them yet. I'm, hoping our Yakima bike rack will fit on them (I picked these up off the side of the road - someone moved house and just chucked them).
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:30 PM

I just installed a set I got on a popular auction website.
Here
(My car is a 2019, but still the same size roof rails.)

We wanted crossbars that looked like the Kia ones, with no excess width hanging over the side. We are using them for a cargo box (SportRack SR7018, in case anyone is interested.)

They are fairly sturdy (they say 160 lbs. limit) and they do look good, and they come in black as well as silver. They were nearly $200 less than the Kia ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6619.gif
Views:	306
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	4187   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6622.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	4189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6625.gif
Views:	277
Size:	451.9 KB
ID:	4191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6623.gif
Views:	268
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	4193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6621.gif
Views:	261
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	4195  

dots likes this.
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:43 AM

Garage
I was planning to buy those same exact rails off fleabay! Glad you're happy with them, that might be the motivation I need to pull the trigger on buying a set. I really only plan to use it for the occasional Christmas tree and maybe a plastic kayak once in a while.

2018 PHEV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page