Roof Rack - Page 3 - Kia Niro Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:38 AM

I got mine from Mick's and after waiting on they key to be sent, opening them and then having one of the rubber cushions missing and waiting for that for 2 weeks I installed them. They are fine except for the wind noise so I took them off and will only use them if I need them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:34 PM

Garage
I just bought the black version of the fleabay ones, they should be here by Thursday, and I'll write here about my initial impressions. They were only $109 with free shipping, plus eBay gave me a $5 off coupon code, plus I apparently had a $35 gift card balance on my account that I didn't even realize I had. So, for $69, they'd have to be REALLY bad for them to not be worth the price I paid for them.

I plan to only have them installed when I'm actually using them, otherwise they'll stay in the garage to keep mpg as low as possible.
safari and Dovidan like this.

2018 PHEV
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:58 PM

Garage
Good thing I wasn't planning to keep the rails on my car except when I'm using them, because holy moly are they LOUD. Above about 25mph, sounds like there's a tornado on my roof.

Sturdy, though. Should serve the purpose just fine. Look decent, too.

2018 PHEV
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:02 PM

My Nordrive roofrack arrived from Mick's garage. Easy to put on, but the front bar makes lots of noise once I get above 35 MPH. That's not a big deal, because I mostly only plan to use it for around town stuff and it's easy to put on and take off. But I'm wondering if there might be a secret in terms of placement? Did anyone purchase the OEM roof rack and if so, did it include guidance on how far forward or aft to place it on the roof rails?

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 06:55 AM

I have the OEM roof rack and have tried everything to make them quieter in regards to placement. I have a sun roof and really like to use it. I have taken to only having them mounted when hauling our kayaks around. But recently I have found info about wrapping a bungee cord around the crossbars from end to end. Claims are that it make a world of difference. Just google it or look for it on YouTube. Should be easy enough to find examples and experiences. I will try it next year once our forever long MN winter ends.
deltasmith likes this.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:08 AM

That sound you hear is mpg vanishing. Even if the sound didn't annoy you, it would be best to take them off when not in use.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbnx View Post
...Thule now has a kit availabile, go to their website and use their fit guide. The fit kit for the Niro rail bars is KIT4076....
Our Niro is our "nice" car, so I wonder: Does the KIT4076 leave marks on the stock roof rails?

2017 Kia Niro Hybrid
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:26 AM

Garage
I doubt it... Even my $100 made-in-china kit from eBay doesn't mark my rails. As long as there's rubber in between metal, you're good to go.

2018 PHEV
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:58 PM

Hey everyone,

Everyone is talking about "roof bars" but has anyone purchased a roof rack to fit on the bars? If so, what did you order?
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:24 PM

There are several named racks in this thread.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech