Roof Rack - Page 6 - Kia Niro Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Just purchased a set of roof racks from Micksgarage. just a word of warning for anyone in Canada. Remember that DHL has their own brokerage arm that likes to reach deep into your pocket and extract funds just for the privilage of getting a package delivered to you. the cost was around the $42 mark. Considering the roofrack cost $110, it was a bit steep.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:40 PM

Well at least that wasn't US dollars!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Turns out that MicksGarage is a bunch of charlatans who are there for a quick buck and to rip you off. I went to put on the roof rack this morning as it has finally stopped raining and I needed to pick up some plywood sheets. The supposed new roof rack is damaged beyond repair and MicksGarage will do nothing about it and are now trying to shift the blame to me saying " I should have better inspected and noted any damage to the rack on delivery ".

I attached a set of photos of what is wrong. The plastic housing that connects to the roof rails is cracked. these are hairline fractures that you wouldn't be able to see until you actually tighten them onto the rail that causes them to open up. Clearly, this was either a returned item that they just shipped out or a factory second that shouldn't have ever been sold.

WARNING to anyone who was thinking of dealing with this company. DO NOT. If there is something wrong you will be stuck fighting to get your money back. It is now in the hands of PayPal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190917_101527.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	5503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190917_101435.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	5505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190917_101540.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	5507  

GTA - Canada.
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:24 AM

Sorry to hear it. I just checked mine and I do see that there are some hairline cracks simile to the ones in your photos - I hadn't noticed those before because they are had to see and almost look like just a pattern left from manufacturing. But when I look really close, yes there are cracks. However, it looks to me like it's not necessarily structural. Also - in your photos, I only see the outside clamp: there's supposed to be an inside clamp that grabs the other side of the roof bar. Did you take those off? If you take the covers off, there's a bolt that you use to tighten the clamp. Are there cracks in the plastic that support the bolt?

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:29 PM

I just got my Niro & am considering buy racks and the ones from Micks seemed like a winner till
Roadkills post. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts. Has anyone actually used Micks racks for carrying a load and if so, did they seem satisfactory?

OR my may just go back to my old school / red neck approach of just laying a couple canvas cushions or a yoga pad on the roof to transport my 11', 40 lb Hobie Mirage Kayak. I typically don't carry it more than 40 miles or drive over 60 mph with it & have found the pads on the roof approach works quite well when paired with under-hood tie downs such as these: https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Mar...Trunk-tie-Down

Dan
2019 Snow White Niro PHEV EX Premium w SR
Other car: 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:29 AM

I don't know about kayaks, but canoes have available rubber blocks that attach to their sides for carrying on cars. All that is needed is a fore and aft rope, triangulated to limit movement.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

What I also found to be rather interesting with the roof rack that I purchased was the part in the manual that said not to drive over 80km/h (50mph) with anything on the rack.

In looking at the rack that I got, I am not totally sure how bad the crack lines are. I took the whole of the rack connector body off the rack bar and noticed that there is a metal plate that runs down through the plastic body, so the plastic might not provide all the clamping/connecting force onto the roof rail. Now I did use some fine feeler gauges as I am an ex-engineer and happen to have those sorts of things, and on one of the connector bodies with the largest crack, when you clamp it onto the rail, the crack does open up so that I can fit my smallest feeler (0.0025") in, where if you aren't clamping it doesn't slide in. so clearly there is a defect, but the other 3 you just see the line. Now Mick's garage as since said that this just a moulding mark where the two pieces are joined. I don't know if they are talking about a mould that forms the piece, or if they thing the connector body is made up of several pieces. That is still up in the air.

I bought the aluminium Nordrive rack, but they do sell several other manufacturers that might not have any issues.

GTA - Canada.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post

OR my may just go back to my old school / red neck approach of just laying a couple canvas cushions or a yoga pad on the roof to transport my 11', 40 lb Hobie Mirage Kayak. I typically don't carry it more than 40 miles or drive over 60 mph with it & have found the pads on the roof approach works quite well when paired with under-hood tie downs such as these: https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Mar...Trunk-tie-Down

i have noticed during first waxing job roof is rather on the "soft" side so placing anything on top without a crossbar may cause dents? also the hood and hatch are made with aluminum so putting any “pressure” may either dent or damage the stressed area?
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightland View Post
i have noticed during first waxing job roof is rather on the "soft" side so placing anything on top without a crossbar may cause dents? also the hood and hatch are made with aluminum so putting any “pressure” may either dent or damage the stressed area?

I figured that one out after our winter. Just the weight of the snow/ice on the roof was enough to dent it. You can see the difference in the light refection off the top. But it's just a car and I don't think that having a deflection on the roof will really make any form of difference to the milage or how well it gets me from point A to point B.

GTA - Canada.
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:40 PM

I've used the foam blocks in the past for canoes & they work quite well except with high cross winds -- had a canoe blow off the car in E WA years ago. However, my Hobie Mirage gunnels are too wide for the blocks.

Sounds like a roof rack probably best way to go. My inner miser continues to seek one that will do the job relatively well maybe 6-10 a year for a relatively low amount of my hard earned money! Perhaps the Nordrive is the way to go -- current cost is just $98. Alas Mick's website shows them temp our of stock. Any other tried alternatives for less than $125?

Dan
2019 Snow White Niro PHEV EX Premium w SR
Other car: 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd

Last edited by Dovidan; 09-20-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page