Has anyone installed the official homelink mirror? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone installed the official homelink mirror?

Has anyone installed the official homelink mirror? I had it installed last week.

Is it supposed to work with the ignition off? I can't open or close the garage unless it's on. My other kia with homelink doesn't require the ignition to be on for it to work. I asked the dealer and they said that's the only way it works, there is no wiring in it for constant because it would just drain my battery. I don't have the actual install instructions only the quick user reference manual.

One other issue, I'm having a hard time getting it to actually open and close my garage. I get it programmed and it will work 1 or 2 times then it just doesn't work. Or I have to hold it for 20 seconds and it will open the garage or it will go into program mode again because I held the button too long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 09:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Has anyone installed the official homelink mirror? I had it installed last week.

Is it supposed to work with the ignition off? I can't open or close the garage unless it's on. My other kia with homelink doesn't require the ignition to be on for it to work. I asked the dealer and they said that's the only way it works, there is no wiring in it for constant because it would just drain my battery. I don't have the actual install instructions only the quick user reference manual.

One other issue, I'm having a hard time getting it to actually open and close my garage. I get it programmed and it will work 1 or 2 times then it just doesn't work. Or I have to hold it for 20 seconds and it will open the garage or it will go into program mode again because I held the button too long.
I just installed the Auto Dimming mirror w/ HL-4 and Compass in my Optima. There were three wires, one for the Hot, one for the On position and a Ground. The Hot should draw very little current, it's there for the HL and keeps the calibration for the Compass. You need to get a hold of the Installation instructions. Since you paid for it, ask who ever installed to give it to you. Something does not seem right with your Auto Dimming Mirror....................

2018 SWP Optima S
2018 Cerulean Blue Niro EX
2018 Cerulean Blue Niro LX w/Tech Package

Last edited by Chief_10Beers; 04-02-2018 at 09:08 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:46 AM

If you had the OEM auto dimming mirror, there isn't a constant 12v line in the original wiring harness, only switched 12V, ground and reverse signal. I wired in a new homelink mirrror with compass for a Rio. Haven't lost programming, need to use with ignition on, and compass holds calibration no problem. You should let the installer know about the problem.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:53 AM

Garage
But... there is NO continuous 12 volt in the mirror. It's IMHO due to the fact the Niro has a 12 volt battery the size of a medium size hard cover book. There are only a few places that 12 volts on all the time are available, and you would have to run a wire up to the mirror if you wanted a fully functioning mirror!!
However interesting side note, I just found this URL on a Kia Niro: Charging System / Auxiliary 12V Battery system, ohhh, I want one!

Kia Niro : Auxiliary 12V Battery Repair procedures : Charging System

If I am ever going to properly install 2 way radios in my car, I need a second battery. this will be worth looking into to see if I can figure out to install this in my EX!!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Okay so maybe its installed correctly. I just wish I didn't have to turn the car on in the garage to open the garage but I guess most of the time the niro engine doesn't actually turn on until later. So I'm not gonna fill the garage with carbon monoxide.

And I have reprogramed the mirror about 5 or 6 times so far but tonight it actually opened and closed when I left and came home for the first time without incident.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 08:41 AM

No switch by the door as you enter your garage to open the door? Bizarre, but if true, will cost only a couple of dollars to put one there. That solves that issue when taking the car out, or closing the door when parking. Or you could clip a remote to your passenger side sunscreen. Both of those seem far preferable to the hassle you are going through.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page