Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Fog light install on LX

12K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  GregB3 
#1 ·
Has anyone done an after market fog light install on an Fe or LX ?

Thats one thing Im thinking of trying later this year.

#2 ·
Came with mine (part of the tech package). I negotiated for the car by phone and not realizing the fog lights were part of the tech package was highly annoyed at the (presumed) extra cost and weight. What exactly is the use case for fog lights? Fog of course, but fog lights only cast a light for about 10 feet in front of the bumper. That is only good for maybe 10 mph safely in heavy fog. The regular low lights would be just as safe at those speeds. I've not felt a need for fog lights in 45 years of driving.

As a side note, there is a stern warning in the manual to limit the use of (stock) fog lights to the absolute minimum as they will drain your battery. Seems a bit on the ludicrous side to me but thought I'd mention it. I laughed when I read it.

#3 ·
I too read in the manual about limited use of the fog lights, kind of strange. I replaced the old school bulbs with LED that use about 1/2 the power - and add so much light to the road.

I wouldn't be surprised that in time someone markets a retrofit kit for fogs on your model. For my Prius, a dealer sold the kit with all the wiring that made installation very easy and affordable.

#7 ·
The lower the light, the less reflection on the fog. Those airplane fog lights are not on the fuselage are they? They are on the wheels I think. They might well serve more as a recognition for others than for visibility, but on cars, they don't appear to do anything of value, and are just as likely to do harm (constricting pupils). Good perhaps in the Model T days with bad roads limiting speed.

#8 ·
A lot of the RECOGs are up on the Vertical Stab and/ or close to the Wing Tips. As for a Auto, Day time only and in the Fog. I tried using Fog lights in Fog, in the dark, no joy, I turn them off but with that said, Fogs in the day in Fog, gets my attention a little quicker from cars coming at me..................

#14 ·
Thank you, but I have an 2017 LX model with no fogs at all. So no switch or wiring harnesses either. Will keep looking and consider all, or no, fog lights.

I might also swap out the factory halogens in the main hi/low headlights for an aftermarket ones.

Thanks, again!

Kevin

#15 ·
I'm new, and this is an old thread, but I'm guessing those of you that don't like fog lights also don't live in areas with a lot deer/wildlife and deep ditches. Fog lights on my cars have saved me so many insurance claims because I saw a deer, raccoon, or a fox in the ditch before it jumped out that I wouldn't have seen without the lights. I think my brother has hit a deer at least once every year for the past 7 years, the collision place knows us by name.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.