Fog light install on LX - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hackenfort

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Fog light install on LX

Has anyone done an after market fog light install on an Fe or LX ?

Thats one thing Im thinking of trying later this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 07:10 PM

Came with mine (part of the tech package). I negotiated for the car by phone and not realizing the fog lights were part of the tech package was highly annoyed at the (presumed) extra cost and weight. What exactly is the use case for fog lights? Fog of course, but fog lights only cast a light for about 10 feet in front of the bumper. That is only good for maybe 10 mph safely in heavy fog. The regular low lights would be just as safe at those speeds. I've not felt a need for fog lights in 45 years of driving.

As a side note, there is a stern warning in the manual to limit the use of (stock) fog lights to the absolute minimum as they will drain your battery. Seems a bit on the ludicrous side to me but thought I'd mention it. I laughed when I read it.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 02:31 PM

I too read in the manual about limited use of the fog lights, kind of strange. I replaced the old school bulbs with LED that use about 1/2 the power - and add so much light to the road.

I wouldn't be surprised that in time someone markets a retrofit kit for fogs on your model. For my Prius, a dealer sold the kit with all the wiring that made installation very easy and affordable.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 05:47 AM

Garage
The intent of Fog Lights were not designed so you can see better, it was intended so others can see you better in Inclement Weather.................................

2018 SWP Optima S
2018 Cerulean Blue Niro EX
2018 Cerulean Blue Niro LX w/Tech Package
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_10Beers View Post
The intent of Fog Lights were not designed so you can see better, it was intended so others can see you better in Inclement Weather.................................

Really, can you show me where it states that. I would totally agree with rear fog lights like found on the Saab, but I've never heard this before for front fog lights.

I thought it was always a low on the road projection to stop the reflection from the fog.
tbaleno likes this.

Last edited by hackenfort; 04-13-2018 at 09:04 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 05:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackenfort View Post
Really, can you show me where it states that. I would totally agree with rear fog lights like found on the Saab, but I've never heard this before for front fog lights.

I thought it was always a low on the road projection to stop the reflection from the fog.
Are you kidding me? Any light thrown up on fog is going to blind you at night. Fog lights were for day time Fog. Aircraft have them too but we don't call them fog lights, we call them RECOG lights, short for Recognition Light so you can see them. I only use my Fog Lights in the day, not at night. I get pissed when someone comes at me at night with their fogs on and more so with pickup drivers with super bright fog lights on........................................

2018 SWP Optima S
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 05:45 PM

The lower the light, the less reflection on the fog. Those airplane fog lights are not on the fuselage are they? They are on the wheels I think. They might well serve more as a recognition for others than for visibility, but on cars, they don't appear to do anything of value, and are just as likely to do harm (constricting pupils). Good perhaps in the Model T days with bad roads limiting speed.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The lower the light, the less reflection on the fog. Those airplane fog lights are not on the fuselage are they? They are on the wheels I think. They might well serve more as a recognition for others than for visibility, but on cars, they don't appear to do anything of value, and are just as likely to do harm (constricting pupils). Good perhaps in the Model T days with bad roads limiting speed.
A lot of the RECOGs are up on the Vertical Stab and/ or close to the Wing Tips. As for a Auto, Day time only and in the Fog. I tried using Fog lights in Fog, in the dark, no joy, I turn them off but with that said, Fogs in the day in Fog, gets my attention a little quicker from cars coming at me..................

2018 SWP Optima S
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:56 AM

Not sure why we are comparing to airplanes.

But I can say I am very pleased with the fog lights on the Niro. They help tremendously in fog, heavy rain and snow. The are a low flat beam the really lights up the road in bad conditions. I am happy to have them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackenfort View Post
Not sure why we are comparing to airplanes.

But I can say I am very pleased with the fog lights on the Niro. They help tremendously in fog, heavy rain and snow. The are a low flat beam the really lights up the road in bad conditions. I am happy to have them.
No foul no harm. I like Fog Lights too. I have them on all my Cars since 2004........................

2018 SWP Optima S

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page