Bike Rack for 2018 Niro PHEV? - Page 3 - Kia Niro Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:02 PM

Garage
Thanks. That means a Class II should suffice then. I'll try to find someone who can do this for me as I'm not too handy with such things.

So when you do cut out a part of the hitch, is there a bigger chance of rust seeping in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sstr Maria View Post
The advantage of the Class 2 over the Class 3 is it's ~30 lbs lighter, so less weight to lug around for the life of the vehicle.
Reason I know is I just had the Curt 12171 installed and am very happy with it.

Just to play devil's advocate. The advantage of the Class 3 over the Class 2 is that all the quality bike racks that I have seen come standard for class 3 2" mounting. The class 2 is 1.25" and although it does have plenty of weight capacity, where it lacks is in rigidity. A bike rack held out on a 1.25" bar away from the back of your Niro will flex quite an amount, so as you go over bumps and road chatter, the bar flexes and your bikes will start to shake. But the problem comes in when they start to shake in a standing wave and then you get that vibration transferring back to your car. The longer the bar to keep the bikes away from your car, the more pronounced the wave will get. But put the bikes too close and you're going to get your paint chipped.

Had a class2 hitch on my old Ford Edge and it was horrible. Had a class 3 installed on my prior Ford Escape and even with a much cheaper bike rack had none of the problems. Said 30lbs is nothing in weight compared to what you are loading out the back when you consider the wind resistance etc... Get the best you can get.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
You are correct. I forgot to mention an important fact. The Class 3 is a 2" receiver and the Class 2 is a 1-1/4" receiver.
I have experience with both and have settled on a bike rack that's 1-1/4", so the Class 2 is right for me.
I strap my bikes in and I don't have any issues with chatter, shaking, or standing wave that you mention.
Each person should choose the combination that's right for them.

Also see,
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C12171.html
https://www.etrailer.com/p-C13329.html

SM1
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:24 AM

Niro-Ev hitch

Hi all,

I see most of you talk about the PHEV model, and some about plug-in, but I'm wondering if that is still the phev.

I have a Niro-EV (fully electric), and I'm looking into options to install a hitch for bicycles. I know this is the better option than putting it on the roof (much less wind resistance in the back, and less work to put it on the rack), but I want to make sure I have the least amount of modifications to the car to make sure there are no waranty issues with it.

So, do both those hitches discussed above work on the EV model? And does it really only require to cut a piece of metal (and then repaint with black-anti-rust paint)?

Thanks!

Steve
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsoftsnake View Post
So, do both those hitches discussed above work on the EV model? And does it really only require to cut a piece of metal (and then repaint with black-anti-rust paint)?

Sadly nobody really knows as the EV are so new and as you are one of the first to be driving one, we are actually hoping that you will be the one to tell us what works and what does not.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsoftsnake View Post
Hi all,

I see most of you talk about the PHEV model, and some about plug-in, but I'm wondering if that is still the phev.

I have a Niro-EV (fully electric), and I'm looking into options to install a hitch for bicycles. I know this is the better option than putting it on the roof (much less wind resistance in the back, and less work to put it on the rack), but I want to make sure I have the least amount of modifications to the car to make sure there are no waranty issues with it.

Thanks!

Steve
I saw a post on the PHEV/EV facebook grop indicating it's not the same on a full EV and that you have to hack the crap out of the "plastic cover" that sits where the gas tank would normally be to have any chance of making it work -- but I don't know first hand. I just had the class III Curt installed on my PHEV with that mod to the hitch as described eaerlier in this thread.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page