Tach - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Tach

Hello,

I really like the Sportmatic transmission when I need more control over the power. It would be nice to see the RPMs with a tach. Has anyone found one and set it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:45 AM

I'd suggest a Bluetooth ODB2 reader and set up the tach display on your smartphone.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 12:04 PM

On my 2018 PHEV, when I shift into sportmatic, the display converts to a digital/analog tach with gear selected below.

Last edited by dontfret; 10-19-2018 at 12:06 PM.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfret View Post
On my 2018 PHEV, when I shift into sportmatic, the display converts to a digital/analog tach with gear selected below.
No kidding?!? I don't think I've even tried sportmatic mode on my 18 PHEV yet, I'm going to try that out today!

2018 PHEV
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Yup, buying a new car for the tach is another way to go!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
That feature is not available on the PHEV LX trim level. I suspect it is limited to higher trims with the larger LCD instrument panel.
dots likes this.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
That feature is not available on the PHEV LX trim level. I suspect it is limited to higher trims with the larger LCD instrument panel.
Ah yes, correct. Tried it earlier, no tach shows up in mine.

2018 PHEV
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:25 AM

Hate to keep bringing this up, but...

Get an Ultragauge. One simple plug and youve got all the information you could ever want.

At 62 mph, on a fairly level road, mine turns 2050 rpm. Just about the sweet spot for the ICE.
Blackdog likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Griswald. I took a look at the Ultragauge and wondering what the: Brake Horsepower & Brake Kilowatts sensor information gives. I have the ScanGauge2 and really don't think much to it really. Trying to figure out what the sensor combinations are is frustrating. I was looking to try and get a sensor that tells me not only the engine RPM, but wanting to know how much charge you get from the regenerative breaking.

Also, the cable that comes with the Scangauge doesn't allow you to install it on the OBDII port and still fit the front plastic cover back onto the dash. I am wondering if the Ultragauge plug is thin enough to do this? I am driving a standard HEV Kia Niro EX, not a plugin so I don't know if the panels are different between the models.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
Griswald. I took a look at the Ultragauge and wondering what the: Brake Horsepower & Brake Kilowatts sensor information gives. I have the ScanGauge2 and really don't think much to it really. Trying to figure out what the sensor combinations are is frustrating. I was looking to try and get a sensor that tells me not only the engine RPM, but wanting to know how much charge you get from the regenerative breaking.

Also, the cable that comes with the Scangauge doesn't allow you to install it on the OBDII port and still fit the front plastic cover back onto the dash. I am wondering if the Ultragauge plug is thin enough to do this? I am driving a standard HEV Kia Niro EX, not a plugin so I don't know if the panels are different between the models.

I do not know what the internal programming does. I assume that the calculations for torque deal with speed, fuel flow, time and displacement. The HP number is all that plus RPM.

No, you cannot plug in and close the cover. I cut a small slot on my cover and really cannot even see it because of where it is in the car.

You will not get regenerative breaking info unless that is sn OBD2 protocol, I doubt that it is.

I really only leave mine on the short trip screen so I can watch my MPGs in real time. Its an eye opener and a great way to "learn" how to drive a hybrid.
nogastoday likes this.

Last edited by Griswald; 10-20-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page