Cargo Cover/Lid Options - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
ssp

Cargo Cover/Lid Options

Do Niro owners without a cargo cover feel okay about that? I've always had hatchbacks with cargo covers as standard equipment so it's weird to me to just leave stuff in the back uncovered. I live in an urban area and often park on the street so maybe that's just my situation.

Is it fairly easy to buy and install an after-market version or the original part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:22 PM

Garage
The OEM cargo cover is easy to "install", as it's designed to be easily installed and removed whenever you want it.

An aftermarket one, unless designed specifically for the Niro, is unlikely to fit properly.

My Niro came with the cargo cover - I thought it was standard, but maybe my dealer added it, I'd have to look at the old window sticker. It works well, I like it.

2018 PHEV
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
ssp

It's not standard on the LX, for sure. I think I"m just going to have to buy it.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:30 PM

Not standard, but may have been "port" installed. If so, added to the window sticker as an option.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:13 PM

Garage
On my EX Premium PHEV the rear window tint is sufficient to make the included cargo cover redundant. In fact, the tint is dark enough from the rear passenger windows back that I can't see anything inside at all under normal conditions.

Do other trims have different tint levels?

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Not standard, but may have been "port" installed. If so, added to the window sticker as an option.
Indeed, I just checked my window sticker and it has these 3 optional accessories listed on it:

Carpeted floor mats - $135
Cargo net - $50
Cargo cover - $150

2018 PHEV
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
ssp

The tint is pretty dark on my LX so it's not completely unsafe but I'm fairly certain that won't be enough in my neighborhood!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:35 PM

Ours came with one and we removed it immediately. The back is small enough already and the cover takes space. (We came from a Prius V which had about a foot more space in the back. We also removed the Prius cargo cover.) I guess it depends on how much you want to carry and if it needs to be hidden.
Dovidan likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:08 PM

It should be standard on the PHEV EX Premium (see the features page on the Kia web site). It was missing when I purchased mine but I didn't realize that until I got home with the new car. I let the dealer know that I expected them to make it right. They did, about a week later.

I've not felt the need to use it, yet, but I will want it when I start my Christmas shopping, and I'll also want it when I visit relatives and have luggage in the back.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:54 PM

When I bought my 2013 Mazda CX-5, I haggled with the dealer to include the cargo cover. Now itís sitting in the garage somewhere. When you end up hauling big boxes or stuff from Home Depot that requires you to flip the backseats down, the cover gets in the way. And when we pack for road trips, our luggage is usually to the roof, so the cover wouldnít help there either. Itís good to have if we really need it, but we hardly leave valuable stuff in the cargo area.

The Niro had it already included and itís still in the car, but we havenít used it yet.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page