Kia Niro Hybrid Front License Plate - how to attach? - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By A-Daddyo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Question Kia Niro Hybrid Front License Plate - how to attach?

Hiya! I bought my 2018 Kia Niro Hybrid out of state (where they only use a single license plate at the back). I now have my new (home state) license plates and am wondering how to attach the front plate.
I do see small round grooves (guidemarks for drilling?) in the front below the grille. Just wanted to confirm if I can go ahead and use a drill to make holes in there (and if there are backing threaded bolts behind those grooves). If so, can I just try using a screw to make holes?
Also any idea what size screws I need to fit the license plate? My (out-of-state) dealer had put screws at the back which I just reused. Need a couple for the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:33 PM

Those are guide points indeed. Two for direct plate mount, and two for a plate frame/holder. Look carefully in your glove box. There should (may) be two screws in a small plastic bag. They look similar to wood screws but a guide hole probably makes life easier. I'm told that sometimes the screws might be under the rear load floor. It is also possible these are added at the port and they don't waste ten cents on cars headed to rear only plate states.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 11:14 PM

Garage
I live in a state where a front plate is required, too. I ignore it. A ticket for that is $25 in my state, and I probably save more than that annually from the aerodynamic and radiator-cooling advantages of not having it. That said, I'm not recommending you break the law

2018 PHEV
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Those are guide points indeed. Two for direct plate mount, and two for a plate frame/holder. Look carefully in your glove box. There should (may) be two screws in a small plastic bag. They look similar to wood screws but a guide hole probably makes life easier. I'm told that sometimes the screws might be under the rear load floor. It is also possible these are added at the port and they don't waste ten cents on cars headed to rear only plate states.
Thanks! I found a plastic bag with 2 screws in the glove box.
I was a little unsure about drilling but I guess that's the way to go. Got to find my metal drill bits.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNiro View Post
Thanks! I found a plastic bag with 2 screws in the glove box.
I was a little unsure about drilling but I guess that's the way to go. Got to find my metal drill bits.
The bumper cover is urethane, not metal.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:18 PM

Yup, an electric screwdriver might mean you don't need a pilot hole. Seems pretty soft plastic.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 03:36 PM

If you live in California ... (not sure if it is legal in other states)

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

Somewhat expensive though ... $50
Drewsel likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Daddyo View Post
If you live in California ... (not sure if it is legal in other states)

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

Somewhat expensive though ... $50
Well, no more than a vanity plate and regular plates do look bad tacked onto the front of the Niro. If they made it for Ohio, I'd do it! Legal or not. I ran without a front plate for quite a few months before I got paranoid.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page