Hitch-Mounted Cargo Carrier - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone! I really had no intention of putting more than 100lbs maybe 150 at times on the rack. Theoretically, we can fit everything inside the car, but my daughter appreciates having the cup holders and a little extra room in the backseat by keeping the double seat up and the single-seat down. So when we start talking a large suitcase with a few days clothes, a cooler with a couple days camp food and some drinks, a small tent, some folding camp chairs, and the few other miscellaneous things it starts to get tight and it would be nice to take one large box worth and put it outside the car. Based on responses I have gotten though, I think I would be better off looking into cheaper alternatives for the roof racks and others told me that the drag may actually be worse with a rear carrier.
Kllx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
Then buy a Niro in Canada. In my manual there is a whole section on towing a trailer. Pages 7-91 to 7-99.

So I don't know why people here keep saying that the Niro can't tow. Perhaps it is a limintation for the Plug-In people.
RoadKill401, that's interesting that your manual says that you can tow. I wonder if it's something they introduced in the 2018? Mine is a 2017 and it states no towing in pretty clear terms in the owners manual.
iamteeg likes this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaj1987 View Post
I think I would be better off looking into cheaper alternatives for the roof racks and others told me that the drag may actually be worse with a rear carrier.
Very hard to believe that putting cargo in clean air on top of the car increasing both frontal area and drag coefficient would be more efficient than in dirty air behind the car. What little I know about aero suggests a cargo box behind the car may actually increase your mpg by effectively making your car length longer. Boat tails are a common aero mod for hypermilers.

It is well known that drafting (following closely to the vehicle ahead) improves mpg of the lead vehicle as well as the drafting vehicle. Same principle would apply to a rear mounted cargo box.

You are the first person I've read about interested in a cargo box. Most want a bicycle carrier. Pretty sure a bike in the back will not have a beneficial effect, but still better than a roof mounted bicycle.
Kllx likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Then buy a Niro in Canada. In my manual there is a whole section on towing a trailer. Pages 7-91 to 7-99.
Hi Mate, I do not know which manual you have on hand, but the Canadian 2018, 2019 HEV and PHEV model manuals, says at page 6-96:

TRAILER TOWING
We do not recommend using this
vehicle for trailer towing.

and the pages 7-91 does not exist in the maual! (i have put some screenshot of the 2018 manual)

Quote:
So I don't know why people here keep saying that the Niro can't tow. Perhaps it is a limintation for the Plug-In people.
Its for all the models of the Niro in Canada and the USA.. Some country's in Europe like France and Belgium say that it can tow up to 3000 pounds with brake assist. but there are small countrys, and not as big like ours. Kia America and Canada does not recommended towing probably for our traveling distance of our continent so people cant tow a 3000 pounds caravan from Toronto to Vancouver!

Like i said, you can install a hitch and tow, but if you have problems (like a transmission defect), the warranty could not be applied for the fix...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-26 12_28_00-Kia Niro 2018 - User Manual - eng (HEV & PHEV).pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro.png
Views:	12
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	5235   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-26 12_28_49-Kia Niro 2018 - User Manual - eng (HEV & PHEV).pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro.png
Views:	15
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	5237   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-26 12_27_33-Kia Niro 2018 - User Manual - eng (HEV & PHEV).pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro.png
Views:	13
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	5239  

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
Dude, no one is talking about towing anything. Have you seen a hitch-mounted cargo carrier before? I lived in Canada 30 years and never saw one up there. Here's a picture of one.

Like I said on 07-19-2019, you want to limit how much weight you put back there. I would not put more than 100 lbs back there and would stay within the usable weight limit of the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	curt-hitch-cargo-carriers-18100-64_1000.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	5257  

SM1
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sstr Maria View Post
Dude, no one is talking about towing anything.
Hello sister, I was ONLY refering to the post of my dear mate @Roadkill401 that replied to TheSilverFlash on the 07-18-2019 about the "no tow weight rating"... Nothing else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sstr Maria View Post
Have you seen a hitch-mounted cargo carrier before? I lived in Canada 30 years and never saw one up there.
Yes i know what it is and i have seen some in my 50 Canadian years!

Now, since you "dude" me, let me tell you my point... It's not the tow, or the monted cargo carrier, it's the hitch that is installed on the car.. IF, if one day, you have some trouble with the car, lets say here.... a transmission or dual clutch problem, well while Kia Motor or Kia Canada says that they do not recommemded any tow... they could say.. "we will not pass this on the warranty because you have a hitch installed and we dont know if you hauled an elephant for 4000km..."

Have a great day!
Kllx likes this.

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

Last edited by lafe005; 07-29-2019 at 05:38 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know if they would have a leg to stand on with that comment. It would be about the same as saying to someone that since you didn't do service every 4,000km at our dealership like we would like you to, then we have no way of knowing if you actually changed the oil, or did any service. The side of the trailer hitch point is if you don't have any of the electrics hooked up for brake lights or things like that, it would be far harder to say you did any towing. This is a cosmetic accessory then like an aftermarket roof bars. They would need to prove that the damage was likely caused by the hitch that will be far more difficult. And as there is a diagnostic logging computer inside the electronics, I would be very interested to know what data that system can and does track.
iamteeg likes this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
They would need to prove that the damage was likely caused by the hitch that will be far more difficult. And as there is a diagnostic logging computer inside the electronics, I would be very interested to know what data that system can and does track.

I follow you on this one.! Worked at 2 dealers in the 90's and let me tell you that service advisor and mecanics are very good to find the reason for a engine or transmission fail.. After that, the company will give the ok or decline the warranty for the fix on the vehicule. seen a couple of them back in the days.!
iamteeg likes this.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:37 PM

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this post on Niro chat from Europe! Here is the link to the thread if anyone is interested. I don't advocate towing just thought this was interesting
https://www.niroforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=470

Hi all.
Just wanted to give feedback on my experience towing with the Niro Plug in.
So like a lot of others I was confused as to whether you could tow with the Niro. I spoke to Kia and got an email bac from them stating

"Apologies for my delayed reply, I have had a very busy few days.

A tow bar can be fitted to the Niro, however the official Kia ones are quiet pricey coming in just under 1000.

My advice would be to source one locally, I know a lot of companies like tow bar UK will fit tow bars for a third of that price.

Fitting a tow bar to a lease vehicle is fine all being it is done to a good standard with no major damage to the body work."

Also the manual with the car states that for all EU cars you can tow up to 1300kg with a braked trailer. There is nowhere that says "except UK models"

So with this info I ordered the Brink swan neck towbar 96 and the dedicated electrics 115 from PF Jones.
The installation was a doddle. It does say to lower the exhaust back box to get it in, however with a bit of careful manoeuvring I managed to fit it without doing this.
The dedicated electrics were also a breeze, 1 wire to the battery which is in the boot and one to earth then two wires for the Canbus which are situated against the back of the car under the storage compartment. It did have wires for "Trailer prep" which I don't think the UK car has as I couldn't find a plug for it to fit in to. When I have more time I will investigate this further,

So yesterday I picked up my new trailer from Ifor Williams and towed it the 40 miles home, the car pulled at 60 mph on the motorway with no problems on the straight, going uphill on a motorway bridge it did rev quite hard but stayed at 60mph. I forgot to run the car in Hybrid mode so the battery depleted quite quick on electric alone and then stayed at about 7% running in HEV for the rest of the journey. I would reccommens keeping a full battery and running in Hybrid mode so it has the power when it needs it. Other than that there were no issues.
tow.JPG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tow.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	5263  
lafe005 and iamteeg like this.

Last edited by Johnxyz; 08-01-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
@Johnxyz,
I have seen this post in the past, there are very lucky in Europe to have the recommendation to tow. So yes, it can tow..yes it can pull, but, be carefull if you are in North-America.
iamteeg and Johnxyz like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page