Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Hitch-Mounted Cargo Carrier

12K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Spiritwalker2222 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I apparently posted this thread in the wrong forum before, and I know similar stuff has been talked about, but I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a lightweight hitch-mounted cargo carrier for road-tripping? I talked with my Kia center and they said if I wasn't planning to install wiring that a CURT hitch for my 2017 Kia Niro wouldn't affect the warranty (of course, with the "unless something were to happen that could be directly linked to the hitch" clause). The main thing is they want close to $1000 to install the rails and cargo box on the roof, and I feel like the rear carriers would have far less drag and preserve more gas mileage. We're a family of 3 and we road trip often, and it would be perfect if we just had that little bit of extra space. Any tips, opinions, thoughts, or recommendations on hitch-mounted carriers?

Respectfully,

Isaac

#2 · (Edited)
Roof rack with cargo box is the safer and less risky option. The Niro owner's manual specifically says not to tow (i.e., it has no tow weight rating). We have no idea how much weight you can safely carry back there. The Kia crossbars are only $270 from the dealer and a cargo box or tray from Yakima or Thule run around $300 new or less if you can find one used locally. You're looking at under $570 for a roof mounted solution that can handle 220 lbs. I don't know who quoted you $1000 for crossbars and a box but they are nuts.

$270 crossbars new from Kia. My local dealer price matched.
https://www.kiapartworld.com/niro/niro-exterior-accessories/G5F21AC000

$300 Thule box. I've seen them used locally around $150 and there's some knock-off brands at Walmart for $200.
https://www.amazon.com/Thule-682-Sidekick-Rooftop-Cargo/dp/B0000WZYF4/ref=asc_df_B0000WZYF4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198060105035&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12237273035940002548&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013453&hvtargid=pla-367512814298&psc=1

Attachments

#3 ·
The Niro owner's manual specifically says not to tow (i.e., it has no tow weight rating). We have no idea how much weight you can safely carry back there.

Then buy a Niro in Canada. In my manual there is a whole section on towing a trailer. Pages 7-91 to 7-99.

Maintenance when trailer
towing
Your vehicle will need service more oý‐ ten when you reþularly pull a trailer. Important items to pay particular at‐ tention to include enþine oil, transaxle ýluid, axle lubricant and coolinþ system ýluid. Brake condition is another impor‐ tant item to ýrequently check. Each item is covered in this manual, and the Index will help you ýind them quickly. Iý you re trailerinþ, it is a þood idea to re‐ view these sections beýore you start your trip.

Do not ýorþet to also maintain your trailer and hitch. Follow the mainte‐ nance schedule that accompanied your trailer and check it periodically. Preý‐ erably, conduct the check at the start oý each day s drivinþ. Most importantly, all hitch nuts and bolts should be tiþht.

If you do decide to pull a trailer
Here are some important points iý you decide to pull a trailer:
• Consider usinþ a sway control. You can ask a hitch dealer about sway control.

• Do not do any towinþ with your car durinþ its ýirst 2,000 km (1,200 miles) in order to allow the enþine to properly break in. Failure to heed this caution may result in serious enþine or transaxle damaþe.
  • When towinþ a trailer, Kia recommends that you consult an authorized Kia dealer/service partner on additional require‐ ments such as a towinþ kit, etc.
  • Always drive your vehicle at a moderate speed (less than 100 km/h (60 mph)).
  • On a lonþ uphill þrade, do not exceed 70 km/h (45 mph) or the posted towinþ speed limit, whichever is lower.

So I don't know why people here keep saying that the Niro can't tow. Perhaps it is a limintation for the Plug-In people.

#5 ·
To answer your question, there are two CURT hitches that will fit your 2017 Niro - and their tongue weights and hitch weights are as follows.

1. Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Class II - 1.25in - C12171: Maximum tongue weight: 350 lbs [https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C12171.html] Hitch Weight = 26 lbs.
2. Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Class III - 2in - C13329: Maximum tongue weight: 525 lbs [https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Kia/Niro/2017/C13329.html] Hitch Weight = 28 lbs.

Given the Usable Weight of your 2017 Niro is about 1,000 lbs, I wouldn't put any more than about 100 lbs on a hitch-mounted cargo carrier, subject to what other weight I was carrying.

You can do the math yourself: GVWR - Curb Weight = Usable Weight [https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/models/niro/2017/specifications]

Usable Weight = Weight of occupants + Hitch + Carrier + Baggage

#11 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone! I really had no intention of putting more than 100lbs maybe 150 at times on the rack. Theoretically, we can fit everything inside the car, but my daughter appreciates having the cup holders and a little extra room in the backseat by keeping the double seat up and the single-seat down. So when we start talking a large suitcase with a few days clothes, a cooler with a couple days camp food and some drinks, a small tent, some folding camp chairs, and the few other miscellaneous things it starts to get tight and it would be nice to take one large box worth and put it outside the car. Based on responses I have gotten though, I think I would be better off looking into cheaper alternatives for the roof racks and others told me that the drag may actually be worse with a rear carrier.

#13 ·
I think I would be better off looking into cheaper alternatives for the roof racks and others told me that the drag may actually be worse with a rear carrier.
Very hard to believe that putting cargo in clean air on top of the car increasing both frontal area and drag coefficient would be more efficient than in dirty air behind the car. What little I know about aero suggests a cargo box behind the car may actually increase your mpg by effectively making your car length longer. Boat tails are a common aero mod for hypermilers.

It is well known that drafting (following closely to the vehicle ahead) improves mpg of the lead vehicle as well as the drafting vehicle. Same principle would apply to a rear mounted cargo box.

You are the first person I've read about interested in a cargo box. Most want a bicycle carrier. Pretty sure a bike in the back will not have a beneficial effect, but still better than a roof mounted bicycle.

#15 ·
Dude, no one is talking about towing anything. Have you seen a hitch-mounted cargo carrier before? I lived in Canada 30 years and never saw one up there. Here's a picture of one.

Like I said on 07-19-2019, you want to limit how much weight you put back there. I would not put more than 100 lbs back there and would stay within the usable weight limit of the vehicle.

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
Dude, no one is talking about towing anything.
Hello sister, I was ONLY refering to the post of my dear mate @Roadkill401 that replied to TheSilverFlash on the 07-18-2019 about the "no tow weight rating"... Nothing else! ;)

Have you seen a hitch-mounted cargo carrier before? I lived in Canada 30 years and never saw one up there.
Yes i know what it is and i have seen some in my 50 Canadian years!

Now, since you "dude" me, let me tell you my point... It's not the tow, or the monted cargo carrier, it's the hitch that is installed on the car.. IF, if one day, you have some trouble with the car, lets say here.... a transmission or dual clutch problem, well while Kia Motor or Kia Canada says that they do not recommemded any tow... they could say.. "we will not pass this on the warranty because you have a hitch installed and we dont know if you hauled an elephant for 4000km..." :D

Have a great day! ;)

Reactions: jgregv and Kllx
#17 ·
I don't know if they would have a leg to stand on with that comment. It would be about the same as saying to someone that since you didn't do service every 4,000km at our dealership like we would like you to, then we have no way of knowing if you actually changed the oil, or did any service. The side of the trailer hitch point is if you don't have any of the electrics hooked up for brake lights or things like that, it would be far harder to say you did any towing. This is a cosmetic accessory then like an aftermarket roof bars. They would need to prove that the damage was likely caused by the hitch that will be far more difficult. And as there is a diagnostic logging computer inside the electronics, I would be very interested to know what data that system can and does track.

#18 ·
They would need to prove that the damage was likely caused by the hitch that will be far more difficult. And as there is a diagnostic logging computer inside the electronics, I would be very interested to know what data that system can and does track.

I follow you on this one.! Worked at 2 dealers in the 90's and let me tell you that service advisor and mecanics are very good to find the reason for a engine or transmission fail.. After that, the company will give the ok or decline the warranty for the fix on the vehicule. seen a couple of them back in the days.!

Reactions: iamteeg
#19 · (Edited)
I thought you guys might get a kick out of this post on Niro chat from Europe! Here is the link to the thread if anyone is interested. I don't advocate towing just thought this was interesting
https://www.niroforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=470

Hi all.
Just wanted to give feedback on my experience towing with the Niro Plug in.
So like a lot of others I was confused as to whether you could tow with the Niro. I spoke to Kia and got an email bac from them stating

"Apologies for my delayed reply, I have had a very busy few days.

A tow bar can be fitted to the Niro, however the official Kia ones are quiet pricey coming in just under £1000.

My advice would be to source one locally, I know a lot of companies like tow bar UK will fit tow bars for a third of that price.

Fitting a tow bar to a lease vehicle is fine all being it is done to a good standard with no major damage to the body work."

Also the manual with the car states that for all EU cars you can tow up to 1300kg with a braked trailer. There is nowhere that says "except UK models"

So with this info I ordered the Brink swan neck towbar £96 and the dedicated electrics £115 from PF Jones.
The installation was a doddle. It does say to lower the exhaust back box to get it in, however with a bit of careful manoeuvring I managed to fit it without doing this.
The dedicated electrics were also a breeze, 1 wire to the battery which is in the boot and one to earth then two wires for the Canbus which are situated against the back of the car under the storage compartment. It did have wires for "Trailer prep" which I don't think the UK car has as I couldn't find a plug for it to fit in to. When I have more time I will investigate this further,

So yesterday I picked up my new trailer from Ifor Williams and towed it the 40 miles home, the car pulled at 60 mph on the motorway with no problems on the straight, going uphill on a motorway bridge it did rev quite hard but stayed at 60mph. I forgot to run the car in Hybrid mode so the battery depleted quite quick on electric alone and then stayed at about 7% running in HEV for the rest of the journey. I would reccommens keeping a full battery and running in Hybrid mode so it has the power when it needs it. Other than that there were no issues.
tow.JPG

Attachments

#21 ·
Hitch Info

My added comments would be that 1300 kg = 2866 lb ... I don't think your hitch-mounted carrier will come even remotely close to that. Now, the comment to add is that the capacity of the hitch-mounted carrier should not exceed the tongue weight rating for the hitch you choose to install.

Also, the whole thing is easy to install; I bought the Curt one, and my fiancee and I got it installed in about 1 hour without lifting the car: and we both have physical disabilities (back/neck problems for me, hip & back problems for her). No tools needed to lower exhaust. Second set of hands practically necessary, almost impossible without.

The wiring (which isn't relevant to many of you), is also pretty simple (used Curt harness). Hardest thing is to run the positive wire from the back to the front battery terminal... ground wire can be screwed into the back metal anywhere.

It's a relief that the previously quoted poster says in EU you can tow 2866 lbs, because I have no intention of towing more than 1500 ever (and even then, very rarely)... Usually, if I tow at all, I pull a small 4'x10' open utility trailer with a canoe on it, or two kayaks. The heavier situation is ONLY if both motorcycles are loaded onto the 4'x10'.

Cheers!

Reactions: jgregv
#20 ·
@Johnxyz,
I have seen this post in the past, there are very lucky in Europe to have the recommendation to tow. So yes, it can tow..yes it can pull, but, be carefull if you are in North-America.

Reactions: iamteeg and Johnxyz
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.