Tow hitch for PHEV Niro - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Tow hitch for PHEV Niro

Proud new owner of a 2018 Niro Plug-in. Have looked around and all of the hitches available for the Niro don't seem to apply to the plug-in version (checked uhaul, etrailer, etc.). In fact, etrailer seemed to update their Niro options after my inquiry to exclude the plug-in. The bottom rear of the plug-in and non-phev versions seem the same, so I wonder if they just haven't confirmed that their hitches will fit a PHEV yet.

Has anyone tried fitting a hitch to the plug-in Niro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 02:28 PM

My guess (only a guess) is that the extended usage of the elec motor in the PHEV is detrimental when towing.

Personally, I decided not to install a hitch on my HEV for this very reason. (All my trailers are heavy.) I bought a cheap, older pickup for my all of my hauling. Whether wise or not, I believe my Niro will last longer.

Also note, when I asked my dealer I was told that installing a hitch voids my factory warranty. Don't know if this is actually true, as my dealer said a LOT of things that are completely inaccurate.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

There's a section in the manual on towing, so I don't see how they never intended people to tow. At any rate, I really just want it for bike rack purposes. Yes, I know there are other ways to put bikes on cars, but still.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
In my owner's manual, they sayt to NOT use the car for towing.!

but for a bike, i think it would be just ok!
padonion likes this.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Update: I took a chance on the class II Curt hitch from etrailer. I had contacted Curt and they weren't able to tell me whether the hitch actually wouldn't fit the PHEV, or if they just hadn't confirmed it yet. Anyway, for the modest price of return postage it was worth a shot. Anyway, I can confirm that it will indeed NOT fit the PHEV. There is a little bit of frame reinforcement on the passenger side that keeps the hitch from fitting all the way onto the frame. Anyway, now we know and can wait for someone to make one for the PHEV.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:28 AM

After my dealer told me that even though Kia doesn't offer a hitch for a bike rack we can certainly have a third party like UHaul install one on my Niro PHEV. I can confirm that UHaul will NOT install a hitch and I have found no one who will. Since I don't want a roof bike rack I am looking at the SuperBones3 rack to mount on the tailgate. I have seen some photos posted on other threads that make me think it will work.

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium - Aurora Black
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:40 AM

We use a Thule Raceway PRO 2-Bike Rack - Trunk Mount - Adjustable Arms...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddlingNiro View Post
After my dealer told me that even though Kia doesn't offer a hitch for a bike rack we can certainly have a third party like UHaul install one on my Niro PHEV. I can confirm that UHaul will NOT install a hitch and I have found no one who will. Since I don't want a roof bike rack I am looking at the SuperBones3 rack to mount on the tailgate. I have seen some photos posted on other threads that make me think it will work.
Many years ago, before I got the hitch and hitch bike rack on my old Toyota Highlander, I had a Saris Bones rack on my old sedan. I can confirm, at least at that time, the Saris Bones bike racks were about the best non-hitch bike racks you could get.
FiddlingNiro likes this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in the world. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 12:20 PM

I'm thinking about doing some towing, something small like a motorcycle trailer. Has anyone had any luck coming up with a hitch?

I may try and find a custom installation or try modifying the curt hitch to make it work.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 03:01 PM

2" Hitch for PHEV

Looking through the replies to kferguson's post, I think things have changed a little since others were kind enough to reply.

(1) Uhaul will custom make a 2" hitch for the first person to go to their AZ manufacturing facility and leave their car for 3 days. I'm from Rhode Island, and as much as I love driving my Niro, that's too far. After they figure out how to make the first one, they'll mass produce and sell the hitch to the rest of us.

(2) My dealer (in Massachusetts) will install non-KIA brand hitches for the labor cost (about $200).

(3) The Curt 13329 Class 3 Trailer Hitch is compatible with the Niro PHEV, but needs a slight modification. See Bruce's 5/21/18 comment on the amazon.com web page: https://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing.../dp/B0725NM56D

Hope this helps.