Is there anything you'd change? - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=I disagree the tech package is worth it for the HID lights, smart cruise control, and forward collision warning. The plug in will have better front lights.[/QUOTE]

I got the Adv.Tech package in the LX mostly for the AEB. I figure if it helps you avoid or lessen an accident once it's worth it's weight in gold. The FCW is good also. Smart cruise is OK, the HID lights I didn't get with the LX Tech package, and didn't want. Too expensive to replace and more fragile, not solid-state and the improvement in light not worth it, IMO. Halogens or LED are plenty bright. The HID's I've seen on other cars driving toward me are often really annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realto View Post
I got the Adv.Tech package in the LX mostly for the AEB. I figure if it helps you avoid or lessen an accident once it's worth it's weight in gold. The FCW is good also. Smart cruise is OK, the HID lights I didn't get with the LX Tech package, and didn't want. Too expensive to replace and more fragile, not solid-state and the improvement in light not worth it, IMO. Halogens or LED are plenty bright. The HID's I've seen on other cars driving toward me are often really annoying.
The HID's might be annoying when coming towards you, but when you are in that vehicle, they are spectacular. That was my biggest surprise when driving my Niro home from the dealer. The regular HID lights are amazing. Best headlights I've ever had. I had to make sure I didn't have my brights on. They are well worth and will come in handy during the winter when I will drive a lot more at night.
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post

Parking assist turns off with the button next to the shifter.

Thanks for the tip. That will come in handy the next time I'm stuck at a light with the beeps going off.
post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
That jerk it does is annoying. If I could I'd get the touring with tech w/o the sunroof or the 18 inch rims. I got the touring because it's the only one with front parking sensors which I wanted.

Parking assist turns off with the button next to the shifter.

I disagree the tech package is worth it for the HID lights, smart cruise control, and forward collision warning. The plug in will have better front lights.
Where, specifically, did you get the info regarding the plugin?
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myronbg View Post
Where, specifically, did you get the info regarding the plugin?
Kia Niro Plug-in Hybrid Heading to US Later this Year Ľ AutoGuide.com News

if you see the front lights you can tell they are different than the current HID. I also have a suspicion the 2018 model might have rear heated seats and lane keep assist vs lane departure warning because the Korean model has these things slated for 2018 and I believe the UK already has lane keep assist.

In case you are unfamiliar, lane departure warning beeps when you get out of your lane, which surprisingly has been useful occasionally; lane keep assist will beep and also move the steering wheel for you, ever so slightly, to get you back into the lane.
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 03:47 AM

Quote:
if you see the front lights you can tell they are different than the current HID. I also have a suspicion the 2018 model might have rear heated seats and lane keep assist vs lane departure warning because the Korean model has these things slated for 2018 and I believe the UK already has lane keep assist.

In case you are unfamiliar, lane departure warning beeps when you get out of your lane, which surprisingly has been useful occasionally; lane keep assist will beep and also move the steering wheel for you, ever so slightly, to get you back into the lane.
I have a UK Niro First Edition (equivalent roughly to the US Touring version I think) and it already has heated rear seats as well as a 3 stage Lane Keep Assist.

Stage 1: Lane Departure Warning
Stage 2: Standard Lane Keep Assist (will steer slightly to bounce you back into lane if you stray out)
Stage 3: Active Lane Keep Assist (will almost continuously steer for you to keep you centred in lane and will work handsfree on the freeway for around 15 seconds before warning you to put your hands back on the wheel) - works like the 2007 Lexus LS460 although that only worked handsfree for 6 seconds.
post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:20 AM

QUOTE Stage 3: Active Lane Keep Assist (will almost continuously steer for you to keep you centred in lane and will work handsfree on the freeway for around 15 seconds before warning you to put your hands back on the wheel) - works like the 2007 Lexus LS460 although that only worked handsfree for 6 seconds. QUOTE

That must be what a friend has on his HONDA -- I think he did not know it had it, but discovered it does. He said he had the warning to "Make a Steering Input" one time.

Some folks do think Lane Departure 'beeps' are a nuisance, I can ignore the nuisance thinking it might keep me alert and from drifting off the road, etc. I wish it had it below 40MPH.

I have an EX --- I wish it had continuous front collision avoidance and not just when on cruise control.
post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULRIDES View Post
QUOTE Stage 3: Active Lane Keep Assist (will almost continuously steer for you to keep you centred in lane and will work handsfree on the freeway for around 15 seconds before warning you to put your hands back on the wheel) - works like the 2007 Lexus LS460 although that only worked handsfree for 6 seconds. QUOTE

That must be what a friend has on his HONDA -- I think he did not know it had it, but discovered it does. He said he had the warning to "Make a Steering Input" one time.

Some folks do think Lane Departure 'beeps' are a nuisance, I can ignore the nuisance thinking it might keep me alert and from drifting off the road, etc. I wish it had it below 40MPH.

I have an EX --- I wish it had continuous front collision avoidance and not just when on cruise control.
You're saying your lane departure doesn't work below 40 MPH? Mine sure does on all the local roads around my house.

And what do you mean by continuous front collision avoidance only on cruise control? My car beeps when cars slow in front of me and I never use the cruise control.
post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 01:52 AM

A few things:

1. When slowing nearly to a stop, the car will switch from engine to electric (EV icon on the dash display will light), and it will jump, jerk, or lurch forward a bit. It's a bit disconcerting and annoying.
2. The lack of a Homelink integrated garage door opener. Considering all the other technology in the car, this omission is just cheap.
3. The lack of an auto-dimming rear-view mirror. And again, considering all the other technology in the car, this omission is just cheap.
4. Hydraulic auto-opening/closing rear door hatch.
5. AWD
6. I have a black interior, but I really liked the blue stitching and blue trim used on the grey interior. I would have loved all that blue on the black interior.

Otherwise, It's great for the price!
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 02:48 PM

Just something aesthetic, but I think the car would look much better lower, more like a hatchback instead of being a crossover. The ride height is comfortable but from having a Suburban and also low profile sports cars, it just feels like it would be more naturally lower when I'm driving it or taking it through a turn.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page