Is there anything you'd change? - Page 4 - Kia Niro Forum
 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 337
Keypad entry, hatch release, the small spot for the keyfob on the center console is too small (can't get fingers and fob in hole) and a user friendly cruise control.

Oh and a CVT, but that's just me.
Griswald is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
the small spot for the keyfob on the center console is too small (can't get fingers and fob in hole) .
You put the keyfob in that? I thought it is just a spare change holder. I keep my keys in my pocket at all times.
NJ Niro is offline  
post #33 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:08 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 10
Easy fixes on the software side, which I really hope KIA could fix. (Does anybody know if car companies actually fix this kind of stuff for existing cars and only for new models etc?)

1. There should be the ability to turn off the welcome jingle (and maybe choose from a few alterantives or even better, upload your own from USB)
2. There should be the ability to adjust & turn off the welcome lights
3. Current consumption should be displayed in numerical format instead of the horizontal bar which is quiet useless and inaccurate
4. The A & B trip information screens should also display the average consumption (this is a real no-brainer)
5. After turning the engine off, the display shows the information for that trip for only maybe 2 seconds and there is no way to recall that screen. Really annoying.
6. The stereo keeps playing after I turn the engine off. There should be a possibility to set it to turn off at the same time as the engine.

Some other product development ideas:

- The trunk should be fully felted. It's ridiculous to have hard plastics where they are just waiting to get all scratched. Also they will create lots of noice when stuff is moving around.
- The rear seats should be able to slide forward to get a bit more cargo space when extra legroom is not needed. It's a very common feature in similar cars and especially in Niro, it would make it so much more versatile.
- The trunk organizer under the top floor is not very efficiently designed. I've been planning on getting rid of the styrofoam organizer and the styrofoam tire kit holder altogether and make a better storage space from plywood & felt.
- I find it a bit odd that the basic trim (LX here) features the Lane Assist but the side mirrors are not electronically foldable or even heated and they don't have blinkers on them.

Other gripes:

- The tailgate opening switch/handle is located very very badly. If the car is dirty, your fingers will get dirty as the gap is very low/narrow. But the worst thing is when you get snow & ice. I haven't experienced it yet (winter is coming) but I can guarantee it is going to be a problem as the recess in the bumper is going to be so full of snow&ice that it will be impossible to operate the tailgate.
sunking555 is offline  
post #34 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 11:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1
The high gloss interior panels are stylish but they are not practical. They both show every speck of lint and reflect sunlight nearly perfectly. The one around the gear shift has blinded me several times on with reflections. This makes driving on sunny days annoying at best and dangerous at worst.
BunnyGirl
BunnyGirl is offline  
post #35 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 04:35 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyGirl View Post
The high gloss interior panels are stylish but they are not practical. They both show every speck of lint and reflect sunlight nearly perfectly. The one around the gear shift has blinded me several times on with reflections. This makes driving on sunny days annoying at best and dangerous at worst.
BunnyGirl
If you don't shy away from some DIY, you could use PlastiDip on it or alternatively some adhesive foil.
sunking555 is offline  
post #36 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 02:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Central NY
Posts: 49
Just got the Niro a week ago, this after two Toyota Prius both of which were great cars that just kept going and going.



First thing I would change, take Toyota's stance and put the safety features on all models, including the adaptive cruise control.


Overall the Niro is a nice car and very comfortable, I was rather surprised to see a belt on the engine. I do hope the heat is better than the Prius - winter here gets cold and IMO that a flaw that Toyota never did resolve.
hackenfort is offline  
post #37 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 05:18 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dublin Ireland
Posts: 1
Like hakenfort, my previous car was a Prius, just one Gen 3 in my case.

One of Toyota's clever hybrid design features was to charge the small aux battery from the big hybrid battery.
I believe the Niro has a separate alternator for the aux battery which creates an extra load on the engine.
Meanwhile the Prius had NO belts under the bonnet - ( the water pump is electric).
It's a pity Kia didn't follow Toyota's example.

Also, on longer journeys you pretty much had free air-con; this is because Prius air-con runs off the hybrid battery.
On a long journey in a Prius, you'll always be regenerating more electrical power than can be captured by the battery through coasting and braking, i.e. the hybrid battery is usually full for most or all of a longer journey - especially at cruising speed. So the air-con can make use of this otherwise wasted energy.
Again it's a great idea.

Regarding heat; any hybrid I know of derives cabin heat from the engine, so the less the engine runs, the colder the cabin is. Are there hybrids with electric heaters I wonder?

My particular grouch is how dim all the button/switch illumination is at night:
Yes I know there's a rheostat but if set high enough to illuminate the various buttons, then the main display is way too bright as they are all adjusted together. The real mistake was to use red as the accent colour for all buttons; it simply doesn't show up well at night. Using plain white accent/backlighting for the buttons would have solved this.

Unfortunately Niros for the Irish market don't get keyless entry/go. I can live with this, but 'er indoors has to scramble in her handbag for the keys every time. Bit of a bummer after a keyless Prius!
PeeDub is offline  
post #38 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:35 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Finland
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeDub View Post
One of Toyota's clever hybrid design features was to charge the small aux battery from the big hybrid battery.
I believe the Niro has a separate alternator for the aux battery which creates an extra load on the engine.
Meanwhile the Prius had NO belts under the bonnet - ( the water pump is electric).
It's a pity Kia didn't follow Toyota's example.
The gearboxes are very different, requiring different solutions, the results are surprisingly similar.
I have not seen a good description of the Niro hybrid system but assuming it to be similar to the Optima there is this document:
https://www.kiauniversity.com/cbtlib...2_Overview.pdf
The belt driven alternator is charging the hybrid battery when the car is not moving. The graphics on the screen show one electric motor/generator but basically you have two ways of charging the hybrid battery.
The 12V battery is charged from the high voltage system, there is no separate alternator for that.
Kia Niro : Schematic diagrams : Low Voltage DC/DC Converter (LDC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeDub View Post
Also, on longer journeys you pretty much had free air-con; this is because Prius air-con runs off the hybrid battery.
On a long journey in a Prius, you'll always be regenerating more electrical power than can be captured by the battery through coasting and braking, i.e. the hybrid battery is usually full for most or all of a longer journey - especially at cruising speed. So the air-con can make use of this otherwise wasted energy.
The Niro has an electric A/C compressor, running of the hybrid battery.
Kia Niro : Components and components location : Power Cable
My Niro is discharging the battery when running uphill on highway, at speed. Consumption was even lower than what I expected at that speed. I would see it as very strange if the car would just charge the battery and not use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeDub View Post
Regarding heat; any hybrid I know of derives cabin heat from the engine, so the less the engine runs, the colder the cabin is. Are there hybrids with electric heaters I wonder?
The Niro does have an electric PTC heater, apparently a very small one since I can't feel any difference.
Kia Niro : Heater Unit Components and components location : Heater

This is a simple resistor, better electric heaters are of HVAC heat pump type. The Niro has also a waste heat recovery system taking heat from the exhaust system. This seems to be one of the reasons for the relatively fast delivery of heat after a cold start. Obviously this requires running the engine which is bad for the PHEV users.
extech67 likes this.
abradacabra is offline  
post #39 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Finland
Posts: 14
I love the active LKAS and the radar cruise control, the car basically drives itself on highway. I am impressed by the LKAS, how it identifies the lanes even when there is snow on the road. Great thing!

What I don't like is that the active LKAS drops off suddenly if the system feels that you are not paying attention (read: steer). I would like the car to slow down in a controlled manner if the driver is not responding. If the driver gets a stroke, the car will now continue at full speed until the LKAS will switch off at some point.
I know this is not an every day issue, I hope, but I am wondering a bit about the logic of these safety devices. The car could do it but someone has decided to implement this in a different way.

I start to dislike the info screen of the hybrid system.
-The tree is useless, too little feedback for the driver.
-The graph showing how the energy flows is wrong. We have two generators and one electric motor large enough to move the car. I know this is simplified and good enough for most purposes but I would be happy with more details.
-The fuel consumption bars have a very strange scale. It's from 0 to 30 litres per 100 km. Usually the consumption is between 4 to 6 liters and you can't really tell anything from the picture. Same goes for the electric motor. I want more frequent sampling and exact numbers in Excel format available when I stop the car
-a running average of the fuel consumption for the last 2 minutes, or so, would be nice. As having the latest yellow bar shown as a number.

I have coasting on, but I have not seen it do anything even when the navigator is in use. Should it do something I can see?
abradacabra is offline  
post #40 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by abradacabra View Post
The Niro does have an electric PTC heater, apparently a very small one since I can't feel any difference.
Kia Niro : Heater Unit Components and components location : Heater

This is a simple resistor, better electric heaters are of HVAC heat pump type. The Niro has also a waste heat recovery system taking heat from the exhaust system. This seems to be one of the reasons for the relatively fast delivery of heat after a cold start. Obviously this requires running the engine which is bad for the PHEV users.
There is no resistance heater, unless you are talking heated seats and steering wheels. The EV model does come with a resistance heater unless you are in a market where you can upgrade to a heat pump.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
yticolev is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maintenace Items like Oil Change Procedures -- Searching for INFO PAULRIDES Electric Powertrain Discussion 58 09-09-2019 06:15 PM
Oil Change Bigmura Engine And Technical Discussions 26 06-10-2018 06:59 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome