Is there anything you'd change? - Kia Niro Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Question Is there anything you'd change?

I'm starting to car shop, and a Niro is high on my list. From everything I've read, it sounds great and I'd love to have one!

For you owners, is there anything about it you don't care for or would change? Everyone always is quick to list the things that they love, but I'm not looking for people to bash on it either.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 11:44 PM

I like ours - just over 5500 miles. It's an EX. Post gas fill ups on Fuelly (something over 51 MPG average so far).

You can see some of the problems that people are having on this Forum.

I think at times I notice this stuttering - misfiring - surging - what ever to call it or whatever it is (misfiring, shifting of the dual clutch, what???).

I have not considered my extreme at this point, but some have had serious issue. I notice it more today when I left home to go to the gym (doing around 40MPH and felt it more than ever had before). Then not noticeable after that. Beats me???
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULRIDES View Post
I like ours - just over 5500 miles. It's an EX. Post gas fill ups on Fuelly (something over 51 MPG average so far).

You can see some of the problems that people are having on this Forum.

I think at times I notice this stuttering - misfiring - surging - what ever to call it or whatever it is (misfiring, shifting of the dual clutch, what???).

I have not considered my extreme at this point, but some have had serious issue. I notice it more today when I left home to go to the gym (doing around 40MPH and felt it more than ever had before). Then not noticeable after that. Beats me???
Does it also occur if you are in sport mode?
post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 02:21 PM

I've had my Touring w/tech package for a month and a half and just past 3,000 miles today. The only thing I dislike about it is that I'm putting too many miles on it! But unfortunately, I had a 75 mile round trip commute to work every day and lots of my son's soccer games on weekends. I went from a 2012 Optima EX to this and I don't regret my decision at all. I've been averaging 46-47 MPG per tank, about 20 MPG more than my Optima.

The biggest annoyance are the lane departure and parking assist warning sounds. The lane departure can be turned off, but I haven't figured out if I can turn the parking assist off. It beeps like crazy if I get close to the car in front of me or the car behind me pulls up too close in traffic.

I would recommend this car to anyone. You sit up just high enough vs. sedan and you don't step up into it like many SUV's. Love the white pearl that I chose except it shows all the dead bugs on the front bumper.
extech67 and judyn like this.
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks guys!
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myronbg View Post
Does it also occur if you are in sport mode?
Never use Sport Mode, seems plenty adequate power wise in normal mode. I might when going down a steep hill if could get it into a lower gear for brakeing, but not sure it would not shift up cause Sport Mode is also AUTO or Manual +/- Shifting).

Watched it again yesterday (July1) when on the same route and felt it I think in the same area of the road (would be the same time in to the trip, slight up hill, running about 40 or so MPH - EV Light was off, so Gas Engine was running). It is noticeable but not extreme.

I noticed it other times also - think it was even on a slight downhill slope. Might have been EV Mode then (not sure).

My first thoughts were it is when Gas Engine is running (maybe a misfire like the one the guy that had it so bad that he got a new car and some other benefits from KIA when they could not fix his car).

Anyway, there is something about these cars that is not 100%. KIA apparently standing behind the product.

That Said, I still like mine and it (whatever to cal it) is not severe, but you notice it (Maybe getting worse). I mis-quoted miles on car (it is around 5200 not over 5500).
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 09:17 AM

Copied this last post on estewartDC3 's topic (guy that got the new car). Post is My NIRO is a Lemon (or something like that).

Hi, all,
Original poster here. We decided to replace our lemon (Niro LX) with an exact replica and today, we finally took ownership! Kia was great throughout the process. They threw in four years of the service plan and a free spare tire kit and a few other favors (dealer installed the cross rails for us for free).

Looking forward to finally enjoying the car that we first bought in March! Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by PAULRIDES; 07-02-2017 at 09:19 AM.
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULRIDES View Post
Never use Sport Mode, seems plenty adequate power wise in normal mode. I might when going down a steep hill if could get it into a lower gear for brakeing, but not sure it would not shift up cause Sport Mode is also AUTO or Manual +/- Shifting).

Watched it again yesterday (July1) when on the same route and felt it I think in the same area of the road (would be the same time in to the trip, slight up hill, running about 40 or so MPH - EV Light was off, so Gas Engine was running). It is noticeable but not extreme.

I noticed it other times also - think it was even on a slight downhill slope. Might have been EV Mode then (not sure).

My first thoughts were it is when Gas Engine is running (maybe a misfire like the one the guy that had it so bad that he got a new car and some other benefits from KIA when they could not fix his car).

Anyway, there is something about these cars that is not 100%. KIA apparently standing behind the product.

That Said, I still like mine and it (whatever to cal it) is not severe, but you notice it (Maybe getting worse). I mis-quoted miles on car (it is around 5200 not over 5500).
Just for [troubleshooting] analysis, and as the "stutter" happens at the same place, could you please have it in low just to see if the stuttering still occurs? If it does, IMHO, it pretty much says it's a computer/software problem & not an ICE issue. If it still stutters then it could be an ICE sproblem. OR, most likely, I haven't a clue.
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 02:39 PM

Yes, do not get the tech package. Lane departure is more annoying than helpful. If it was active like Toyota then absolutely yes, but as it is, no.

I would have an auto dimmed rear view mirror.

I use sport mode when getting on the Freeway. I drive very economically, 55+mpg, 5000 miles on the clock. When I plop it over to sport mode it instantly just goes. I do not change my foot pedal and it simply goes.

I am not convinced that in sport mode it's 100% manual gear control. I have up shifted before while going 35ish because of engine buzz and it shifted once and not another time. But, it has always downshifted.
Scrutch76 likes this.
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 04:01 PM

That jerk it does is annoying. If I could I'd get the touring with tech w/o the sunroof or the 18 inch rims. I got the touring because it's the only one with front parking sensors which I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Niro View Post
I've had my Touring w/tech package for a month and a half and just past 3,000 miles today. The only thing I dislike about it is that I'm putting too many miles on it! But unfortunately, I had a 75 mile round trip commute to work every day and lots of my son's soccer games on weekends. I went from a 2012 Optima EX to this and I don't regret my decision at all. I've been averaging 46-47 MPG per tank, about 20 MPG more than my Optima.

The biggest annoyance are the lane departure and parking assist warning sounds. The lane departure can be turned off, but I haven't figured out if I can turn the parking assist off. It beeps like crazy if I get close to the car in front of me or the car behind me pulls up too close in traffic.

I would recommend this car to anyone. You sit up just high enough vs. sedan and you don't step up into it like many SUV's. Love the white pearl that I chose except it shows all the dead bugs on the front bumper.
Parking assist turns off with the button next to the shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
Yes, do not get the tech package. Lane departure is more annoying than helpful. If it was active like Toyota then absolutely yes, but as it is, no.
I disagree the tech package is worth it for the HID lights, smart cruise control, and forward collision warning. The plug in will have better front lights.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page