What to love or hate about the 2017+ Kia Niro - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Lightbulb What to love or hate about the 2017+ Kia Niro

If you can share a few things about your ownership of the Kia Niro, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 10:07 PM

I like it so far (6000 plus miles) with only some symptom of the stuttering, suging, whatever thing.

That said, when I see some problems posted on here - mainly the surging, stuttering, mis firing SERIOUS ISSUES, but other things also (handles breaking off, displays going wacky), I AM VERY CONCERNED about my decision to buy this in FEB.

Seldom do I at 78 years old fall in love with a new model and at early release (first of two at a local dealer) to trade without my usual negotiations ( did get a $2000 discount and fair trade value for mine - not great but fair), -- I feel dumb or at least immature as was about 50 or 60 years ago.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 07:54 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULRIDES View Post
I like it so far (6000 plus miles) with only some symptom of the stuttering, suging, whatever thing.

That said, when I see some problems posted on here - mainly the surging, stuttering, mis firing SERIOUS ISSUES, but other things also (handles breaking off, displays going wacky), I AM VERY CONCERNED about my decision to buy this in FEB.

Seldom do I at 78 years old fall in love with a new model and at early release (first of two at a local dealer) to trade without my usual negotiations ( did get a $2000 discount and fair trade value for mine - not great but fair), -- I feel dumb or at least immature as was about 50 or 60 years ago.
I feel same as you, Paul. I'm apprehensive about the reliability/dependability/longevity of the Kia Niro. I don't think it was quite ready for rime time roll out!
I'm HOPING there will be software updates that will eliminate the stuttering problem. The handles are a big concern...Kia did something wrong here...
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:28 AM

I had my first experience with the automatic braking collision avoidance system in the Touring w/tech. The car gave me the warning beeps and then I hit the brakes but not enough according to the car. I slammed to a complete stop and momentarily had no control over the car. It was a little scary and I was worried the car behind me was going to hit me since it took a second or two to be able to get back moving again.

I'm glad I have the technology but it is definitely a little weird. I hope I need to use it again.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 11:47 PM

I haven't heard anyone mention this, but I really love that the Niro has a height adjustable PASSENGER seat. That is rare on a car in this price range

Last edited by bicepeak; 08-19-2017 at 11:49 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 06:36 PM

Garage
The rear cross traffic collision warning is super-terrific. Mine has the auto braking collision avoidance, but luckily have yet to trigger that. I've been waiting (and WAITING) for a hybrid to replace a 2000 Honda CR-V and never loved the Prius look. Hopefully I won't miss the stability I feel in snowy conditions in the CR-V. I looked at the hybrid RAV4 last year, but could not get past the rear cargo not being remotely flat with the seats down (and the price was way more than a fully loaded Niro). Only downside so far with the Niro is that I've not fully closed the hatch on two occasions. Even at the dealership, the battery was run down because it hadn't been fully closed overnight. Has anyone else done that? It's nice that the car reserves just enough juice to get it going in that instance.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:12 AM

Do any of you know if this car has any expensive problems like that battery in the Toyota Prius? That adds significantly to the cost of a car, and pretty much negates what you saved in fuel that made you want a Prius in the first place.

I'm a single girl, no kids, and I need fuel economy because of a long work commute. The crappy little truck I drive now is 18 years old and isn't going to last much longer, so I'm researching what to get next. Everything I've read about the Kia Niro is leading me to consider it, unless you guys can recommend something better. I would love another truck, but I'm not seeing any hybrid, super-fuel efficient small pick-ups in the near future.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:00 AM

Niro's 10-year warranty on the battery should alleviate the battery issue, but...

If your commute is mostly highway miles at 75 MPH+, you won't get very good MPG in the Niro - at least, I don't.

I put on 1 mile in town to every 40+ miles on the highway, and I've never achieved better than 36 MPG/tank. I drive CONSERVATIVELY and NONAGGRESSIVELY.

Personally, I'm looking into getting rid of my Niro ASAP and maybe getting a 1980's VW Rabbit Diesel Pickup, which gets 55+ MPG. After the cost of engine & tranny rebuilds and any other reconditioning necessary, I'll be getting back roughly $10,000 on the vehicle swap, plus I'll be saving thousands per year in fuel as well.

But keep in mind I'm doing this because I strongly dislike new cars, the Niro included. I want to get REAL fuel savings for my situation, which the Niro has failed to achieve for me. I want to put my own stereo in my car, which I cannot do with the Niro. I want to be able to have complete control over the vents used with the heat/ac, which I cannot do with the Niro.

In short, buying a new car was a costly mistake for me. I suggest very careful consideration before pulling the trigger.

Last edited by RedWouldForrest; 03-19-2018 at 11:02 AM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:19 AM

When I put my 2017 Niro EX in cruise control at 70-72 mph on the highway, I get 45-46 mpg typically. It was a little better in the warm weather I think. Not sure if there's a big dropoff between 70 and 75 mpg.

Might be an interesting experiment to try cruise control at a few different speeds and see how it impacts your mpg readout for that trip.

Not sure how long your commute is, but if it's 40 miles one way, then your time difference between 70 and 75 mpg is just a smidge over 2 minutes.
extech67 likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:39 AM

I don't drive 75+ due to being in a rush but due to safety concerns. At 75, the big rigs fly past me all day long. I just try to keep up with traffic the best I can, this means driving usually over 80.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page