MPG display - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

One thing I found to be strange is the MPG display in the Niro.

When I stop, I'm actually getting zero miles per gallon but the display shows the max like 75 mpg.

Once I fill up the tank I would like to see what the real mpg is.

What have others found actual mpg is when calculated not going by the display
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 10:48 AM

Actually thats not true. In a hybrid when youre stopped the gas engine shuts off (as indicated by the little EV icon), so youre getting 0 miles for 0 gas. 0 divided 0 is ????.

But I think it makes sense to show it as high, because youre not getting 0 mpg like you would be in a standard car where youre using gas but not getting any miles.

As far as meter vs measured mpg, theres a thread on that where most people find measuring gets 1-2 mpg less than the computer says.
https://www.kianiroforum.com/#/topics/1954
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

The math is pretty straight forward.

My ice has turned on at a stop several times, I'm guessing you create heat needed for the cabin.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackenfort View Post
My ice has turned on at a stop several times, I'm guessing you create heat needed for the cabin.
Well yes, but when the gas engine turns on at a stop for heating purposes I dont think it shows 75+... does it? As its getting colder now Ill pay attention.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackenfort View Post
The math is pretty straight forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
Well yes, but when the gas engine turns on at a stop for heating purposes I dont think it shows 75+... does it? As its getting colder now Ill pay attention.
I had a good chance this morning to check and I confirmed that yes, if the gas engine is on (warming up for heating purposes) and you're stopped at a light/stop sign, the instant mpg meter (bar) will so 0 mpg. But if you're in EV mode with the gas engine off, it will show 75+ (full bar). That makes sense to me.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 01:22 AM

Even when engine is running for generating heat it is turning the generator and charging the battery so its not "idling" its doing some work!! Just wish the electric motor was 30 plus percent larger for better driveline dynamics.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:10 AM

I have another issue, once I fill up the tank I see a huge mpg (something like 50 mpg), but after a few miles driven, it gets back to normal. Does anyone else have the same problem?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Run View Post
I have another issue, once I fill up the tank I see a huge mpg (something like 50 mpg), but after a few miles driven, it gets back to normal. Does anyone else have the same problem?
Not sure that's a problem. By default when you refill the tank, the mpg resets and starts from scratch. So if the first few miles are pretty efficient it will be high at the start.

P.S. 50 shouldn't be high... 50 should be fairly normal on a Niro :-).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 01:13 PM

Agree (gonna be high MPG computed and actual when you first start driving and likely in EV Mode until ICE is needed.

I have seen MPG High after fill up for sometime (as high as in 60s MPG), then it settles out to normal range (around 51 to 53 MPG on my EX.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
Not sure that's a problem. By default when you refill the tank, the mpg resets and starts from scratch. So if the first few miles are pretty efficient it will be high at the start.

P.S. 50 shouldn't be high... 50 should be fairly normal on a Niro :-).
My bad, meant to say 60, but miss clicked.

Thanks for the reply. Nice to hear that there is nothing to worry about, I thought my MPG display was broken

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page