Why I like this Niro PHEV so much - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Ok, that wasn't really the impression I got, particularly when you said "fit of a pain" to use (which I took to mean "bit of a pain.")

Just FYI, to make it clear, the phone isn't supposed to be in the car permanently. You're supposed to use the phone you already carry and use daily to plug in to AA and use (and unplug it and take it with you when you leave the car). The presumption is that you already have something with a data plan, not that you're expected to buy a new device and data plan just for use with the car. Not that the latter doesn't work, as you've seen, but it is a bit of a pain (as you've also seen) compared to the device you carry around, which has all your contacts, calendars, and favorite locations, that will pipe your calls through AA, and pass your upcoming calendar entries to your Google Maps, etc etc as I drone on and on in nerd mode.
Yes, that is what normal people do. Our case is not normal. I use my cell rarely (we use a home land line) and my wife doesn't have a cell (too complicated).

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 08:33 AM

If you do a simple Google search, there are free data plans. Cheap enough?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
If you do a simple Google search, there are free data plans. Cheap enough?
thx for the tip

I did a search and they all have some limitation such as, old phone (no android auto), upfront fee, free for a limited time period, etc

None are as free as what I have now.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

PHEV AC is so cool

Niro PHEV AC positives.

So cheap to use, at 2% of moving energy, I can use it all the time and never feel guilty/wasteful. No interior dust.

Driver only mode. Cool me not the entire interior.

AC in EV mode all night if needed at rest stops. No hotel $$/time, no heat/humidity, no bugs.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 08:45 PM

Garage
Clever. Oh and I don't like Waze. Tried it in a major metro area 2 weeks ago and it simply didn't respond fast enough.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
Niro PHEV AC positives.

So cheap to use, at 2% of moving energy, I can use it all the time and never feel guilty/wasteful. No interior dust.

Driver only mode. Cool me not the entire interior.

AC in EV mode all night if needed at rest stops. No hotel $$/time, no heat/humidity, no bugs.
Also, enough room in the back with the second row seats down to lay down on an air mattress if I like at the rest stop.

Last edited by charlesH; 08-08-2018 at 11:56 PM.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 01:31 AM

I like the idea of a permanent phone, but yes... the idea is to use your own phone so you aren't distracted with calls and texts.
I see how someone with a potatoe phone would want a dedicated phone. Maybe they still set it up to use calls over bluetooth.
Does android auto cancel bluetooth?

Anyway, this car is an awesome value. The BEV will be too when it goes toe to toe with the bolt and wins or ties each spec, but it probably 5k cheaper with LKAS and AEB standard.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:06 PM

alternative navigation apps

I don't use Android Auto. I simply mount my phone on the dash and use it stand alone. If you do that, you could use Copilot, which stores maps for offline use. (I'm guessing there may be others.)
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
thx

the point is i don't want a phone with a cell plan in the car. What I have now cost me $8 and $0/month. And it works just fine. Just a small pain to set up.
Google Maps has an offline maps feature. You can select areas which you will download and refresh when on WiFi. Not every information is in the download, but about 95% of what you can get when online (i.e. no voice recognition by example).
Covering the whole of New Zealand should take 8 areas / 600MB of storage, but you usually don't need all your country available all the time.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:29 AM

I have had the LKAS try to pull me into a new lane as the road goes from 2 to 3 lanes. Otherwise very happy. Wish you could go a bit longer before the system barks at you to grab the wheel. Will this change in the future?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page