Sport mode works awesome! - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyn View Post
I think I have to learn to use sport mode. Our previous car (well, we still have it) was a Prius V and I never had trouble getting pep when I need it (passing, getting into a freeway, etc). But we've had our Kia Niro for a little over a month and have driven it from central Texas to Maine and back. I noticed a long delay in its revving up or whatever it needs to do when passing etc. (seconds, seems like hours). I'm saying come on car!, or some such... I presume that if I knew how to kick it into sport mode I would not have this frustrating delay?

That may be due to the regular transmission vs. a CVT. If you're used to driving a CVT in your hybrid it seems slow waiting for a car to shift to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:35 PM

Garage
What I like about the sport mode is that it doesn't shift as much as eco mode does. But it seems to use a lot more gas.

2019 Kia Niro PHEV, EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:48 AM

Garage
Sport Mode:

Learn to use Sport Mode as it is useful, dare I save lifesaving in an emergency! When you need to get out of the way, or safely merge in freeway traffic. This is why I drive the first mile in HEV mode to run & pre warm the gas engine. This allows early lubrication of gas engine IF I would need Sport Mode. You can male up for any loss of MPG by active regeneration. Remember we are smart buyers and smart drivers.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:26 PM

Garage
A smart driver doesn't need to use sport mode to avoid an emergency.
yticolev likes this.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post
A smart driver doesn't need to use sport mode to avoid an emergency.
I must be very smart then! The only time I've used it in the last 12 months was to demonstrate it to a passenger. But I've had a number of world beating slow cars I've driven very fast. 1967 VW Bug, 1977 Datsun B10 Plus (the high mpg slow model), and a Civic CRX HF (also the high mpg slow model). The Niro is a very fast sports car compared to those.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The Niro is a very fast sports car compared to those.
I was amazed too how fast I could accelerate in the HEV. You will be mind blown if you try the EV. In particular the acceleration when already doing speed. Feels like warp mode
atc98092 likes this.

Peter

Current:2019 Niro EV SX Touring
Past:2018 Niro Hybrid EX Premium

Previously mostly German ICE cars…
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
I must be very smart then! The only time I've used it in the last 12 months was to demonstrate it to a passenger. But I've had a number of world beating slow cars I've driven very fast. 1967 VW Bug, 1977 Datsun B10 Plus (the high mpg slow model), and a Civic CRX HF (also the high mpg slow model). The Niro is a very fast sports car compared to those.
Old but true saying: "It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow"
jmurphEV likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
Old but true saying: "It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow"
Absolutely true. I had so much fun flogging a 3-cylinder Geo Metro back in the day. That thing was a hoot to drive.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
Absolutely true. I had so much fun flogging a 3-cylinder Geo Metro back in the day. That thing was a hoot to drive.
I had the Pontiac Firefly. Aptly named. And ironically it made 60 HP, the same as the Niro EV motor in the PHEV. I've had many 3 cylinder vehicles over the years, but the Firefly was the only one in a car.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post
I had the Pontiac Firefly. Aptly named. And ironically it made 60 HP, the same as the Niro EV motor in the PHEV. I've had many 3 cylinder vehicles over the years, but the Firefly was the only one in a car.
Huh, I did not know that the Firefly and the Metro were basically the same car. The one I drove was a first gen model like this one. It was fun to drive around town or on back roads but got a little scary on the highway. Probably not the most crash worthy car on the road even in 1991.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC-223-053-1200.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	5405  
Spiritwalker2222 likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page