Things That Could Be Improved With a Software Update - Kia Niro Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Things That Could Be Improved With a Software Update

All these suggestions are related to the onboard BEEPERS.

1. Disengage the Front Parking Sensors when the vehicle is in Reverse. I use this feature all the time because our driveway is just long enough to fit 2 vehicles if they are parked VERY close together so the sensors work great for that. However, it is annoying the next time I go move the vehicle. Obviously, I'm going to be moving backward so temporarily disengage the front parking sensors when the vehicle is in reverse. Thank-you!

2. Allow the owner to adjust the volume of the Lane Departure Warning, and Blind Spot Monitoring beeper which triggers if you engage the Turn Signal when another vehicle is still sensed. Not everyone is "Stone Cold Deaf". I've been able to find a volume adjustment for the Parking Sensors (now on minimum) but not these two.

3. Reduce the length of time that the Blind Spot Detection system stays turned on. I've had MANY instances where a vehicle is passing me and pulling away and I can already see their taillights, yet the darn beeper goes off when I hit the turn signal. Arghh! Gimme a break already.

I believe these are all pretty simple software updates which could be implemented with a Flash Upgrade during a routine service appointment. Heck, if this was a Tesla, they'd just implement the changes to all their vehicles via a "Cloud Update". Beepers can be, and have been, a valuable safety aid BUT they can become VERY annoying if overused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 06:59 AM

The Niro PHEV has introduced us to the great driving experience of EV cars at least for the first 24 miles before the ICE kicks in.

In the next few weeks our Niro will have a Tesla 100d ( 300 mile EV range) parked next to it.
Buying the Niro via its dealership network was unpleasant. I'd rather go the dentist than buy another car at a Kia dealership.... the sales experience is dreadful. Tesla sales is by comparison wonderful and treats customers as honorable not entities to prey upon. The Tesla software upgrade is just plain smart to do it via the cloud.

Niro has much to learn...if you build a great car it sells itself so get rid of the sales staff and convert dealerships to service only and pass the savings onto customers.
Spiritwalker2222 likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picstart View Post
The Niro PHEV has introduced us to the great driving experience of EV cars at least for the first 24 miles before the ICE kicks in.

In the next few weeks our Niro will have a Tesla 100d ( 300 mile EV range) parked next to it.
Buying the Niro via its dealership network was unpleasant. I'd rather go the dentist than buy another car at a Kia dealership.... the sales experience is dreadful. Tesla sales is by comparison wonderful and treats customers as honorable not entities to prey upon. The Tesla software upgrade is just plain smart to do it via the cloud.

Niro has much to learn...if you build a great car it sells itself so get rid of the sales staff and convert dealerships to service only and pass the savings onto customers.

Its almost like you are saying that by paying $100,000 vs $25,000, you got a better dealer...imagine that.

Last edited by Griswald; 12-07-2018 at 09:42 AM.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:23 AM

I noticed that about the Blind Spot warning. The car next to me was not quite ahead of me, but I put on my blinker to begin to change lanes, but not immediately, and the car beeped at me. It made me stop the lane change because I thought there was someone else behind me. I donít think it should be changed, but just something that youíre aware of.

I doubt they will allow adjustable volume LDW or BSM. Theyíve probably done studies as to whatís the most annoying level the sounds should be at so it gets peopleís attentions. Adjustable volumes would open them up to lawsuits from people who turned them down and then didnít hear it and ended up in crashes.
TK6 likes this.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 01:23 PM

The warning beeps are almost inaudible in my car at speed. Windows open or stereo loud, sub-audible. I wouldn't mind if they were a bit louder.
jnight310 and Dovidan like this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The warning beeps are almost inaudible in my car at speed. Windows open or stereo loud, sub-audible. I wouldn't mind if they were a bit louder.

You have the Blind Spot warning option in the LX versions ?? ... in Canada, it's in the EX Premium and SX version.. not on the L and EX version.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:25 PM

My wife (it is her daily driver) isn't happy with the steering feel. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee has 3 modes - Normal, Soft and Sport. She's experimented with those, and like Normal. She wished the Niro had steering options. I turned off lane departure control, and she likes it better but still likes the Jeep better than the Niro.

Arizona Mike
'18 Niro EX Premium
'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'16 Flagstaff 21 FBRS
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
You have the Blind Spot warning option in the LX versions ?? ... in Canada, it's in the EX Premium and SX version.. not on the L and EX version.
Nope, but there are plenty of other warnings. Most originate from lane departure.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Could a software fix increase the amount of time before the system tells you to hold the steering wheel while using LKS?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:08 PM

Not a software fix. No car company is going to do that. It would have to be a private hack and it will affect your safety directly.