Shifting - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By padonion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Shifting

This has been said before, but the shifting is funky sometimes. Not the smoothest drive train out there. I would even go so far as to say that a panicked burst of speed when doing a left hand turn could be dangerous. I have had the odd serious lag as if the drivetrain couldn’t decide what to do.

All in all, a good purchase and fun to drive. Just saying be mindful of those quick starts... or switch to sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:02 PM

Hi biffidum,
about the shifting, you should read some documents about the Dual Clutch Transmission which is installed on the Kia Niro.

What I understood is that the DCT has always 1 speed engaged and 1 ready to engage (Dual clutch). Funny thing is that the 2nd speed ready to engaged is 'predicted' as the best option for next shifting change. For example is you are accelerating, then Speed+1 is ready to engage to be prepared for shifting up. On the contrary, if you are decelerating, the Speed-1 is ready to engage to be prepared for shifting down.

Unfortunately that 'standard behavior' is sometime wrong. This is an example; you accelerate behind a truck on a highway, ready to pass the truck, and then you decide to shift-down to have a boost ... arg, you fooled the Dual Clutch which was prepared to shift-up and not shift-down therefore, a lag is to be expected as no lower shift was ready to engage.
And sometime the 'standard behavior' is right. In this case, because of the dual clutch, shifting happens right away, like a breeze

It maybe surprising time to time, but the bright side is that 90% of the time, prediction is good and shifting is done smoothly
TK6 likes this.

Kia Niro PHEV 2019 Gravity Blue.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:20 PM

i'm with you, biffidum.

the seeming disconnect from the ICE and the power/speed of the car is strange to me. i see it most days. i know about the first mile or so warm-up period it does which is growing to be expected. but still lots of apparently looseness in the loudness of the ramping rpms and the transmission just seeming to move nothing to the wheels when goosing it.

before this, i was driving a manual transmission, so it is a very foreign feel to me. i'm trying to learn to just let it do its thing and not worry about it.

--------------2019 DCBlue LX Tech Pkg----------

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page