Not ready for one pedal driving yet but.. - Page 8 - Kia Niro Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Around town, the front brakes got to 90 degrees so rusting won't be a problem.
90 degrees is light braking to be sure. Even so, I suspect you were in stop and go situations with faster slowing than necessary. Rusting does seem to be a big issue for owners in Britain which is why some there recommend finding a parking lot to do some brisk braking to keep disks clean.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
You could be right.......
Have a look for yourself

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...cs/kinetic.php

As far as brake rust, I suspect just the fact that friction brakes are used for the final stop would do it. Additionally many in Europe use their cars sparingly. Letting a car sit idle outside is the prime cause of rotor rust.

Last edited by Mal; 05-08-2019 at 08:33 PM.
post #73 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Mal

I find two things largely solve the glitches in smart cruise. If in a line passing in the left lane, use a lessor distance otherwise the longer distance is much smoother. Additionally smart cruise is easy to temporarily override with a touch on the throttle and/or the turn signal.
post #74 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:04 PM

Or with the cancel button.

post #75 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Semantics perhaps, but technically ACC does not use the brakes. The whole point of ACC is to not exceed traffic speed and to gently adjust speed. If emergency braking is required, then that is the AEB algorithm. And that is what I've observed happening during ACC, traffic turning (and no issue with an actual impact) will cause at least a maximum regen deceleration and probably brakes as well. It is so abrupt and disruptive (despite warning beeps less than one second before initiation) that I don't know which was activated, and never use ACC because of that. The same can happen in standard CC, but far far less frequently. Lower sensitivity in standard for some reason.

I'm far smarter than the ACC algorithms and don't mind the extra attention needed for standard cruise control (which I'm in for perhaps 90 plus percent of all miles driven). Occasionally when I resume or change my CC setting to higher mph, the car does accelerate faster than I would manually. But it is not consistent (scary not to be I guess) and most of the time it accelerates at or slower than I would manually with no traffic following.

ACC is a luxury for those on congested commutes who want to arrive more relaxed. But it does cost efficiency by slowing and speeding up more than standard CC with a driver smarter than the driver and traffic ahead.
Thanks for explaining your thoughts. My experience with ACC is that it doesn't accelerate gently and it's capable of decelerating aggressively too, but it's an open question in my mind as to whether it limits itself to regen or readily uses friction too. My first guess is that it employs a mix of both, just as the car presumably does when a human driver brakes with equal abruptness.

Prior to purchasing my Niro, I longed for ACC because I found myself getting highly annoyed when I came up behind a driver on a freeway that wasn't holding a constant speed (for no apparent reason): ACC defuses some of that frustration, some of the time. But your comments have planted the seed that I should do a little driving with ACC disabled and just using the standard CC to see if I'm happier with the acceleration/deceleration logic. On the other hand, I'll be turning off a safety feature when I do that (standard CC only decelerates when going down a hill and the dialed-in speed is exceeded, whereas ACC decelerates in an attempt to maintain a safe following distance under changing conditions... it's just not as good at this job as I would like).

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:39 AM

Hey yticoley, gave your trick of using cruise control for regen braking a try. WOW! What a difference in the amount of battery charge you get coming to a stop. Just started and seems to make a difference in gas mileage. What mileage are you averaging? Why cant we get this amount of regen without cruise?
post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:33 AM

You can get the same amount of regen, in fact more, by using the brakes (you can see that on the charge meter). But in a given stop, it should be close to a zero sum game as the lost momentum can only regen a certain amount in total. Slowing slowly is best bang for your buck, avoid any chance of using the disk brakes, and gaining a chance of preserving momentum if traffic or the lights change before a full stop. Mind you, I try not to do that if I'll annoy traffic behind me. The major advantage of cruise control, especially standard cruise control, is less variance in speed over manual control, and obviously less unintended heavy pedal presses, especially when accelerating (I use CC to get up to speed on highway ramps and going into higher speed zones).

I don't think my mpg is spectacular. In the Niro, I'm getting a little over 52 mpg annual average in four season weather (every drop of gasoline calculated). That's only about 6% better than the EPA estimate. Some of that is due to removing roof rails from my LX, and some due to some changes to driving habits (cruise control not being one of them). My mpg is substantially better than the more real world Fuelly results of 45 mpg for all Niros, but still inside the bell curve of Fuelly results.
Kia Niro MPG - Actual MPG from 576 Kia Niro owners

I'd probably average over 53 mpg annually if I didn't cherry pick the best summer days to use my motorcycle instead (69 mpg). Those days reduce the number of highest car mpg days - I can usually do 60 mpg on such days (in fact, not sure I can justify using the motorcycle to save money). Rainy days drop mpg substantially and I don't ride my motorcycle on those days either so the car mpg takes the hit.

post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
My mpg is substantially better than the more real world Fuelly results of 45 mpg for all Niros, but still inside the bell curve of Fuelly results.
Kia Niro MPG - Actual MPG from 576 Kia Niro owners.

Sadly the Fuelly results are very badly skewed. There are quite a number of PHEV drivers that are loggin into Fuelly and reporting their fuel economy that reduces the real world average as they plug in EV mode that us HEV (hybrid only) drivers can't get. So when you see the drivers with the over 70mpg reduce the average to the detrement of reality. I have pointed this out in another thread. What good does saying you get 125mpg just because you work less than 20 miles from where you live and can charge your car every night so driving to work pretty much uses zero gas, so the only time you really do use fuel is on longer trips over the weekend.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:38 PM

If there was a significant number of PHEV owners on Fuelly, I would agree. Not sure you have it right though, PHEV owners getting 70 mpg and posting same to Fuelly would increase the fleet mpg for all. In any case, you can filter PHEV owners out of the results. I tried Niro FE and again got about 45 mpg.
Kia Niro FE MPG - Actual MPG from 40 Kia Niro FE owners

post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the advice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page