Not ready for one pedal driving yet but.. - Kia Niro Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Mal

Not ready for one pedal driving yet but..

I sure am ready to optomize hybrid driving. By that I mean off gas is coasting and on brake is regeneration. If we had a friction brake indicator, we could learn how to optomize slow downs and stops for max regeneration. I have to say, however, I like this car like it is more than any other new car I've ever bought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I sure am ready to optomize hybrid driving. By that I mean off gas is coasting and on brake is regeneration. If we had a friction brake indicator, we could learn how to optomize slow downs and stops for max regeneration. I have to say, however, I like this car like it is more than any other new car I've ever bought.

You do. On the left side of your dash there is a ECO indicator. The lower part of the dial is for regenerative breaking. Optimum is the point where the line goes from thin to thick. Around that point the car is getting the most power from the electric motor without needing the breaks to slow down.
FlNiro and padonion like this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Mal

I think the key is like you said, "around that point", is it there or when it gets full scale or somewhere else? KIA did such a good job of making it seamless that, unlike some other EV's, I can't tell.

Do you KNOW that's where it is or have a reference?

I just want a little light that lights as the friction brakes are touching. I've even thought of rigging one up. When a bit younger, it would already be installed.
post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:51 AM

With normal "braking", the mechanical brakes don't engage. If you drive like you own a hybrid, the mechanical brakes will only engage in the last few feet of a full stop. Regen braking at speed can be amazing. Often coming to a stop, I will lower my set speed on cruise control by 30 mph, pretty brisk slowing (same effect as the brake pedal). Of course, I try to slow down earlier, but don't like to annoy traffic behind. I use the "hand throttle" (cruise control) for 90% of all driving above 20 mph.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Mal

I have to ask, how do you know that? KIA blends it so well that the friction brakes could engage when you first touch the pedal all the way to your post. If I knew how big the generator was I could guess by comparing it to the 60hp traction motor. I know that just prior to the "power" zone, the IC is not operating so if the generator was 60 hp equivalent, the deceleration might be the same as the acceleration with just the traction motor. Even that is not necessarily so.

I suppose cruise control deceleration is as good a guess as any as long as its not smart cruise as that has access to friction brakes.

Incidentally the physics of regenerative braking are such that a complete stop is impossible.

Last edited by Mal; 05-01-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:25 PM

Ford Fusion had a "Brake Score" screen. It graded you on how much regen brakes vs. friction brakes you applied.

After a while, you did learn good hybrid braking techniques.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Incidentally the physics of regenerative braking are such that a complete stop is impossible.

Correct, and if you pay close attention you can actually feel the moment when the motor disconnects and the friction brakes replace it - somewhere around 5-6mph or so.

2018 PHEV
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Mal

I think you may be mistaking the sudden release of autonomous braking associated with smart cruise.
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
Ford Fusion had a "Brake Score" screen. It graded you on how much regen brakes vs. friction brakes you applied.

After a while, you did learn good hybrid braking techniques.
That would sure be a step forward. If you could reset it easily, you could test just where the friction brakes join in.
padonion likes this.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have to ask, how do you know that? KIA blends it so well that the friction brakes could engage when you first touch the pedal all the way to your post. If I knew how big the generator was I could guess by comparing it to the 60hp traction motor. I know that just prior to the "power" zone, the IC is not operating so if the generator was 60 hp equivalent, the deceleration might be the same as the acceleration with just the traction motor. Even that is not necessarily so.

I suppose cruise control deceleration is as good a guess as any as long as its not smart cruise as that has access to friction brakes.

Start at the top of a big hill and use one of those thermal laser temp readers on the rotors of your car. Front ones are the best, but do all of them if you'd like. then start down the long hill. Your going to need to press the break but don't let it get deeper than the point where the regen bar widens from the thin to the thick section. Drive down the hill to the bottom and then let the car come to the stop, again not getting deep into the regen section. At the bottom use the temp laser reader to get the new temperature of the rotors. If you were using the friction breaks down the hill then they would be substantally hotter. If they are around the same temp then your using the electric motor to slow down.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page