Engine not engaging on start. - Kia Niro Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Engine not engaging on start.

Several times I have started the car (foot on brake, pressed start) and put it in reverse only to find that the gas pedal wouldn't work. The rear screen camera was on, and I believe the engine was on, but no power was given to the gas pedal. For the first time, yesterday, the same thing happened going forward. The engine was on, but the gas wasn't engaged and power steering wasn't on. The grade let the car roll forward and I could just barely muscle the steering wheel to control direction.

In all cases, turning the car off and restarting allowed normal functioning. This sounds like a computer and not a mechanical problem, but I'm curious if any other Niro's are suffering from this.

Ned
extech67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:05 PM

No, but that sounds like it could be a serious problem if you don't get it fixed...I'd go to my dealer with this pronto.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:15 PM

Does the little car with the arrows under it light up on the dash?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:41 PM

This has happened to me when it doesn't pick up the key.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 01:21 AM

This happened to me two days ago! I have noticed some quirks, or maybe normal things that I'm not yet familiar with as we just purchased our Niro EX mid July. When you start the car in ACC mode only, NO engine, NO hybrid start, just ACC (accessory) mode to run radio etc. you get the intermittent warning regarding starting the car to prevent battery discharge...... (12v lithium portion battery that is, not hybrid battery), well, when driving, if you pull into a parking space, turn off the car, but do NOT exit the vehicle, it's like it goes into this ACC mode because the battery warning starts showing up on the dash screen (same screen as backup cam), opening and closing the driver side door while remaining in the driver seat solves this. I suspect that actually exiting the vehicle fully turns it off, but when I got back in the vehicle, I pressed start, with foot on brake, and everything lit up, I was on an upcline so rolled back while shifted into reverse but noticed the steering wheel was tight, the car was NOT on in drive mode!! I don't think this is actually a software bug with the vehicle but a sequencing error on my part. So far everything has worked great 99% of the time......... I may just have to get out the manual and read the basics lol, like how to start/stop the vehicle and what various deviations may trigger various issues. Also, it would be a good idea for those of us experiencing this quirk to be sure to look just under the gas/hybrid battery gauge on the dash behind the steering wheel, the little car icon, if it is lit up, the car is read to drive, if it's not on the car is NOT correctly started and/or ready to drive.
realto and Scrutch76 like this.

Last edited by eddarrah; 09-02-2017 at 01:24 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efbaxter View Post
Several times I have started the car (foot on brake, pressed start) and put it in reverse only to find that the gas pedal wouldn't work. The rear screen camera was on, and I believe the engine was on, but no power was given to the gas pedal. For the first time, yesterday, the same thing happened going forward. The engine was on, but the gas wasn't engaged and power steering wasn't on. The grade let the car roll forward and I could just barely muscle the steering wheel to control direction.

In all cases, turning the car off and restarting allowed normal functioning. This sounds like a computer and not a mechanical problem, but I'm curious if any other Niro's are suffering from this.

Ned
Ned- it sounds like you may have pressed the start when you weren't in park, or put in R or D before the scan was finished. I've done it myself a couple times. If you came out of park before it is finished "sweeping" or the scan it does when you start (with the little jingle), it's not started- just on. Bottom line, until it finishes the sweep(you must be in park the whole time), and you see the green car and arrow symbol, you can't drive off.
extech67 and eddarrah like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realto View Post
Ned- it sounds like you may have pressed the start when you weren't in park, or put in R or D before the scan was finished. I've done it myself a couple times. If you came out of park before it is finished "sweeping" or the scan it does when you start (with the little jingle), it's not started- just on. Bottom line, until it finishes the sweep(you must be in park the whole time), and you see the green car and arrow symbol, you can't drive off.
I am curious....how long does it take for the car to get ready to drive?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicepeak View Post
I am curious....how long does it take for the car to get ready to drive?
No more than 2 seconds. It takes longer to push the start button and reach for the shifter than it does to do the "scan" thing.
extech67 and bicepeak like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Niro View Post
No more than 2 seconds. It takes longer to push the start button and reach for the shifter than it does to do the "scan" thing.
I tried going from my finger pushing the start button to drive or reverse, and it took about half a second. And I wasn't even in the "gotta get to work" mode. Each time it kept the green car and arrow from coming on. That is what happened a couple times when I first got the car, but hadn't figured out was the problem. Now I just push start first, and put on my seat belt. That gives the engine check sweep plenty of time. Plugging in phone, turning on radio/music, putting on sunglasses, etc. also gives it more than enough time.
Scrutch76 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:00 AM

I bet that's what happened to me!! The start up scan probably was not complete. I've been in a hurry lately these days and having some "brain farts" lol.
realto and Scrutch76 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page