Drop in mileage - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Drop in mileage

I bought my Niro EX in June and for the summer averaged 45-58 mpg on most trips (as measured by the digital screen when the engine is turned off). The most common trip is my 5 mile commute to work. Since October and 40 degree weather i?ve seen a significant drop in mileage. My trips now average only 35-45 mpg. I?ve read that a small decrease is normal for hybrids, but nothing like this.

The only change in settings I can think of is that I drive without AC, but I assumed this would only help mileage. I can?t think of any accidents or bumps. Tires could be low, but the digital warning for that hasn?t come on. Any advice? -Ned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 08:31 PM

I bought my LX the last part of March and my total average over 8000 miles has been 52.8 over all and that's measured. Southern MN. has been running in the low 30's for the 3 weeks or so. The last tank was 42 mpg and I hate to think what it's going to be at zero or below. I think it has a bad thermostat as driving around town the engine never warms up, so would be running very rich. I called the dealer and he said if the thermostat was bad I would get an engine warning lite coming on? I have about 500 miles to go for the 10K oil change, so will make them check it out then.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 09:38 PM

When they switch to the winter gas blend I always lose about 10% MPG.
Dovidan likes this.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efbaxter View Post
Tires could be low, but the digital warning for that hasn?t come on. Any advice? -Ned
They could be low but not to the point of a warning light. I don't know at which point the warning light turns on but right now my tires are at 42 psi. If they went down to 35 psi I doubt the light would go on but it would have a drastic decrease in mileage. Tire pressure is easy to check as you can go to the diagnostics screen and see what the psi of your tires are.

Also, for us up north we are starting to get frost so the engine has to run to warm up the engine so it can remove the frost (at least I think the engine has to run.) I had to let the car run for about 5 minutes while the windows defrosted. Yesterday my mpg to work was 57, today it was 54. I don't know how this will compare to summer as I just got my car and have never used it in warm temperatures.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:41 PM

That's a serious MPG drop. I can only think of extra engine warming, though it's still a big drop. I would call and book an appointment with your dealership mechanic.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 05:24 PM

A dealer told me the efficiency of the battery charge/discharge goes down when it is cold. I donít know if he is just blowing smoke but he may be correct. I also have a Toyota Auris hybrid and get 60+ mpg when the temperature is 30+Celsius but struggle to get 50mpg at under 10Celcius.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:39 AM

My best mpg has been 52 suburban driving and my worse has been 38 windy highway driving at 72 mph.
I believe the Niro suffers from too small an electric assist motor (not enough torque to manage without the dino assist for any appreciable distance or speed) very disappointing in the design fault. They should swap out all 2017 motors for a 30 percent hike in torque.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirovTDI View Post
My best mpg has been 52 suburban driving and my worse has been 38 windy highway driving at 72 mph.
I believe the Niro suffers from too small an electric assist motor (not enough torque to manage without the dino assist for any appreciable distance or speed) very disappointing in the design fault. They should swap out all 2017 motors for a 30 percent hike in torque.

Yea, thats not going to happen...it took Prius a long tome to realize that the bigger motors made better efficiency, and they are the "king" of hybrid tech. It will probably be the next generation Niro that gets more power and better efficiency.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 01:55 PM

low gas milage in cold

I bought my Niro in April and LOVED LOVED it! I was getting 58-60 mpg. Around Nov it started going down (I'm in Chicago area) and this week I've been getting 38 mpg!!! I'm really disappointed...
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:51 PM

This is my second winter owning my Niro and I saw my normal drop of 3mpg until the battery management update was done. I was averaging about 47-49 and now I am struggling to stay above 40. I've hear a significant difference in the changing of gears and when the engine is running. Something in that update definitely affected my mileage. I drive my car the exact same way since I've purchased it and drive the same routes.
nickfixit likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page