Electrical smell - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eddarrah

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Electrical smell

Anyone else have a problem with an electrical smell shortly after starting to drive away. Usually within the first 5 minutes of driving. It is not overwhelming, but noticeable. I am familiar with lithium batteries, and it smells like the odor is coming from the batteries. I have not checked the battery compartment, but I am thinking a problem with the vent might be the cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:38 PM

I've never smelled batteries before. Is what you're smelling kinda like a burning smell?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
Anyone else have a problem with an electrical smell shortly after starting to drive away. Usually within the first 5 minutes of driving. It is not overwhelming, but noticeable. I am familiar with lithium batteries, and it smells like the odor is coming from the batteries. I have not checked the battery compartment, but I am thinking a problem with the vent might be the cause.
I have read, previously, on here and on a Facebook Niro page, that many have asked dealers and all have come back with the same answer, it's the odor caused by the heater, during it first few uses. We had it, and it did indeed dissipate over time. I remember a tinny aluminum smell when we installed new baseboard heaters, that smell also eventually dissipated over time with use, and it has done the same with our Niro, although I agree, THAT odor smells like a few things, burning wires, burned circuit board, hot brakes.
extech67 likes this.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 08:09 AM

I rarely use my heater and generally use the seat heaters instead. Took the wife out a couple of days ago and she cranked up the heater, it did have that "electrical" smell.

Last night, I went to a hockey game and the climate was set to 70 degrees and on Auto. I didn't smell anything.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

I live in Florida, and have used the AC, but not knowingly used the heater yet. I am familiar with many different fumes, electrical, oil, etc. I still think it might be battery oriented. Today there was no strong order, but I could swear when I got out of the car, I had a metallic taste on my tongue. I have not investigated yet, when I do, I will report.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:39 AM

On a different odor level, I HAVE noticed when we first start the car, there are definite gas fumes for the first few minutes, especially outside the car, not sure if this is because the rear of the car, the exhaust area, is about 1-2 feet away from our apt. bldg and perhaps just concentrating the gas fumes, very slight odor inside the car,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe we'll be the first to die of carbon monoxide poisoning in a hybrid!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 05:57 PM

I had the hot wiring smell for quite a while and it was just coming off the new coils in the heater. I was really worried for a while though. The exhaust odor is the worst I've ever seen from any car! It may just be this Winter gas we get here in Minnesota.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
I live in Florida, and have used the AC, but not knowingly used the heater yet. I am familiar with many different fumes, electrical, oil, etc. I still think it might be battery oriented. Today there was no strong order, but I could swear when I got out of the car, I had a metallic taste on my tongue. I have not investigated yet, when I do, I will report.
Yes after investigating, I think you all are correct. It is just the heater. Much stronger than I would imagine.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddarrah View Post
maybe we'll be the first to die of carbon monoxide poisoning in a hybrid!!!
Maybe from other, but definitely not CO.
This one do not smell at all.

I thought that I'm the only one who smell something like not burned completely gasoline from the exhaust at very beginning. Previously had Diesel and it was nothing uncommon for this engine, especially when injectors was in not so good shape, but didn't expected that from gasoline engine with direct injection (which has to be perfectly precise).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page