Warning about "Smart" cruise control - Kia Niro Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Warning about "Smart" cruise control

All,
I have used my smart cruise control alot on the highway, and in most circumstances its worked fine. On one instance however, it did create a situation that could be considered dangerous, so I thought I would share so you can keep an eye out for it also.

On a recent road trip I came across 2 tractor trailers engaged in a slow pass. My cruise was set for about 75, and the trucks were travelling about 60 - 65 MPH. I pulled up behind the truck in the left hand lane and the Niro maintained the distance I set (the max). A driver behind me, obviously frustrated with the whole situation passed me on the inside, and swung into my lane ahead of me. Normally this is not a big deal. With the SCC however, it did create a situation I was not prepared for.

When the car pulled in my lane, it replaced the radar image of the truck as the "car in front". Since it was still going faster than me when it entered my lane the software detected it as "moving away" and immediately attempted to accelerate my car back up to the set speed. This basically scared the bejesus out of me for a second as I accelerated towards the car and truck, and then when that car slowed, immediately slowed.

I think the software should be upgraded for this condition so it only begins acceleration after a minimum distance has been achieved.

I am not sure how to share this with Kia, if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.
extech67 and smck like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 06:29 PM

Good that you were aware of the scene around you and took control without incident.

Go the the KIA website and scroll to bottom of page for "contact kia". Send them off your post and call them a few days later to insure they are aware of this safety issue.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Bob View Post
Good that you were aware of the scene around you and took control without incident.

Go the the KIA website and scroll to bottom of page for "contact kia". Send them off your post and call them a few days later to insure they are aware of this safety issue.
Sent them a message describing the issue. We'll see where it goes.
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:34 AM

My issue with smart cruise

I had similar except my issue was when a truck was exiting the highway and I was in the inside lane behind it. It slow my car down to 30 mph even though the truck had move clearly out of the lane and onto the off ramp. Car behind me going the 75 mph speed limit almost rear ended me. I now just turn it off if some one is exiting in front of me then engage it once clear.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 10:48 PM

Just drove home in my new Niro. Smart cruise control worked beautifully. However, I knew I prior to purchase that I was going to hate it and I did. Just as I'm getting ready to switch lanes because of a slow car in my lane, the Niro slows down. I want regular cruise control but I did not find a setting. I know there is a setting on the Ioniq. Anyone know if regular cruise control is possible in a Niro equipped with smart cruise control?
extech67 likes this.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 10:52 PM

Ah Google found it for me. It is a hidden selection. I'm happy again.

Quote:
“Smart Cruise Control or Cruise Control”

The driver may choose to only use the cruise control mode (speed control function) by doing as follows:

1. Turn the smart cruise control system on (the cruise indicator light will be on but the system will not be activated).

2. Push the distance to distance switch for more than 2 seconds.

3. Choose between "smart cruise control (SCC) mode" and "Cruise control (CC) mode".
extech67 likes this.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:43 PM

I've noticed this several times, but I didn't understand what was happening. Your explanation seems correct.

I noticed the problem when a car traveling faster than I was changed lanes from one side of me to the other, between me and the car in front on which my sensors were locked. I experienced the same unexpected acceleration you did, which was a problem, as none of the cars ahead was traveling as fast as the guy who cut across my lane.

Definitely not you and apparently a bug, not a feature
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 11:18 PM

Smart cruise control sucks. Standard CC has none of those issues.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 07:03 AM

I disagree. It’s not perfect... maybe not even close but it certainly does not suck. It is an improvement over standard CC.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Smart cruise control sucks. Standard CC has none of those issues.
Standard cruise control sucks. Smart cruise control can slow down when the guy in front of you slows down. Even if he jams on the brakes. I won't even use CC in standard mode anymore, ever since I bought a Jeep last year with adaptive cruise, it's a make-or-brake (get it ha hah) feature on any car I buy going forward.

Generally that accelleration "issue" on ACC systems is rare, because you have to be on a 3+ lane highway, and be in the middle lane, for it to even happen. And the system will pick up that the car cutting through is gone within a couple of seconds and slow you back down to be in formation with the car that's in front of you again anyway. Assuming the car is going fast enough to cause that: if he's going your same speed or slower then it'll cause your car to slow down to open the same gap up again.

Remember, with regular CC you would either never be in that situation, because the cars in front of you are going too slowly anyway, or it wouldn't react to the car cutting in front of you at all, and you'd have to get your foot on the brake to avoid an accident.
Dovidan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page