Frosty windows - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Frosty windows

Hi all,

We've had some cold weather lately, overnights in the -20s degrees Celsius (-4ish Fahrenheit to our American friends). I've notice frost build up on all windows... on the inside. Quite a bit on each. I've never had this happen before in any car before (Kia or otherwise). I try to clear as much snow off my boots when I enter the car, tried driving with the heat set to 25 and the AC on to dry out the air, leaving the window cracked a little over night, but if its colder out... it comes back the next morning.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:15 AM

Having the same issue here in Ottawa, where we are about the same (if not slightly colder) than Toronto. My wife says it is because we park the car inside, water on garage floor from snow melt is causing the issue. Not convinced. I have had the same issue on other cars .. there is moisture in the car, not sure how to get rid of it. I use the window defroster to clear it, but would love ideas as well on how to prevent it!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 12:40 PM

Don't think there's really any way to prevent it completely, at least I've never found a way.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:52 PM

Has anyone tried rain-x interior glass anti-fog glass cleaner? I plan to pick some up next time I'm at the store. It was annoying having to use a scraper to be able to see out my window.

I also turned on heat and ac and that cleared it up pretty quick for the rest of the window I didn't scrape. I think if you don't turn on ac you will get watter droplets as the frost melts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:11 PM

Same problem here , mostly on the windshield. We purchased a rubber floor (front and rear) and rear cargo mat kit from SAM'S club, the mats are the deep wells to collect slush, snow, water etc. I read that this adds interior moisture to the vehicle that will end up as frost on the inside windows. I went to a gas station with a free powerful vac, suctioned that liquid out, and it seems to help quite a bit, but at -5 to -10 or more below zero, forget it! Nothing works! We have a neighbor that parks near us and just got a new Ford Focus, SAME problem, which leads me to believe something else I read, that new vehicles, the seals are SO tight, that no air can come in to assist in drying out moisture. I like the idea of leaving the window cracked a bit, but the advantage of having all the batteries under the back seat, and no 12V battery under the hood, great in these cold temps, that benefit would be null and void if I left the window open even a crack, when there's wind, temps down to -10 below zero and wind chill temps down to -25 to -40 below zero. There's gotta be a glass treatment product out there to solve this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:17 AM

I've had the same problem. I have cracked open one of the windows and it seems to help.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 02:35 PM

I find that using the ďFrontĒ button clears things pretty quickly as opposed to the Auto or Feet/Defrost settings.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:10 PM

We are finally due to get a killer heat wave here in Northern NY on Saturday 1/20/18...............42 degrees! I plan on going through the car wash,,,,,,,,,,,,then, at home,,,,,,,, washing the inside windshield, and trying something I bough,,,,,,,,,,,,,RainX anit fog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, designed for INTERIOR windows only..............if it reduces interior fogging/moisture,,,,,,,,,,, it might drastically reduce or eliminate the moisture buildup causing the frost................... fingers crossed.......................

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page