Poor braking distance - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Griswald

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Poor braking distance

Just days after buying the new car, I read an online review that the 2018 Niro braking distance is much poorer than it should be. Concerned, especially in winter. Can’t find the review. Other’s experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 02:23 PM

I've found that when you need the brakes to work, they work. I have the advanced tech package that has the collision avoidance and it has kicked in a few times for me in bumper to bumper traffic. You do have to push down harder on the brakes. I gave my Optima to my daughter when I got my Niro and found when I drove the Optima recently, the first time I hit the brakes I lurched forward because I was used to the pressure I put on my Niro brakes and they aren't needed on the Optima.

I'm sure in a few weeks you will be used to everything and be good to go.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 03:57 PM

Remember, the first half or so of brake pedal does NOT engage the brakes, it only turns the electric motors into electric generators which need huge amounts of power to be turned. That effectively makes them brakes, just not friction brakes.

The second half does engage the friction brakes.
extech67 likes this.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 05:42 PM

I've read a lot of reviews and braking is the expected range for a car of this class. Not one said class leading, but none said bad either. That info is almost irrelevant for winter driving as performance will be 95% dependent on which tires you choose. There are a number of posts here saying best winter driving performance ever experienced, even better than some 4x4s. They don't mention braking, but if he car goes where you point it, that is most of battle.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page