Engine oil increasing - Kia Niro Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Engine oil increasing

I bought my 2018 LX in Nov. in Ontario. Everything is fine except the engine oil is increasing. I found this issue in last month, mileage was 2500 kilometers. The engine oil exceeded the whole plastic part of the dipstick and with strong gasoline smell.

I told this to my dealer, they reported to KIA Canada and told me no any other user reported similar problem. After I complained to KIA Canada directly, they agreeded to changing oil for free and recording engine oil consumption after driving another 1000 kilometers. Today I checked the dipstick, the oil level exceeded the F mark again.

I was wondering there is no one found this issue until now. Since in China, as I know, many people found this problem and Honda CR-V Hybrid has same issue.
Engine oil increasing with gasoline smell means gasoline leaking into oil. It is no a good thing. Even the user manual says, "Don not overfill the engine oil. It may damage the engine."

I don't want the bad thing happened on me, and to you guys neither.

Check your engine oil, if it's same as me, report to your dealer and KIA.
Neuron, safari and Lee Williams like this.

Last edited by freeczp; 02-11-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the heads up and this is indeed worrying. If it smells like petrol, then I assume the fuel injector leaking could be leaking. Best to bring it in to your dealership again and have them take a look. Please keep us updated if they find anything.
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 01:53 PM

Congrats on the car, sorry to hear about your issue. Sounds like a problem with the fuel injector to me. Somehow when your engine is turning off, the injector is remaining open, allowing fuel vapours to trickle into your engine. This is a very dangerous situation and you should not to continue to drive the car with this problem going. Not only do you risk damaging the engine if it is overfilled, but the mixture of oil and gasoline is extremely flammable/explosive.
bicepeak likes this.
post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I will go to the dealer to check it again.
Lee Williams likes this.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 04:01 PM

Same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeczp View Post
About same mileage and same problem. Only difference - no strong gas smell. My Niro was at upper oil lever since July but after period of two weeks of temps in teens oil is about quarter inch high on dipstick. Engine is not getting fully warm when this cold anyway, drops to single bar on scale when running electric. Went to dealer for check up - said all OK. It maybe some moisture trapped in oil pan since I did no long trips recently. Going to do oil change just to be safe.

Last edited by Wacio; 02-20-2018 at 04:04 PM.
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeczp View Post
About same mileage and same problem. Only difference - no strong gas smell. My Niro was at upper oil lever since July but after period of two weeks of temps in teens oil is about quarter inch high on dipstick. Engine is not getting fully warm when this cold anyway, drops to single bar on scale when running electric. Went to dealer for check up - said all OK. It maybe some moisture trapped in oil pan since I did no long trips recently. Going to do oil change just to be safe.
As I know in the China market right now, Kia covers all oil changing fee if your Niro has the engine oil increasing problem.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 11:43 PM
CPH

I’m having the same issue. Went in for 6 month check up and the dealership said the oil had a strong odor of gasoline and had expanded. They changed the oil and requested that I drive it around for 3 weeks and take it back in for another check.
safari likes this.
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:18 PM

I'm concerned about this as well. I've had the car three months. From the beginning it seemed like the level was high. However, with new oil it is so clear, its hard to be sure. Plus I wasnt sure if the car was absolutly level in my parking lot. So, using a level, I ensured the car was on a flat driveway, and the oil seems to be above the plastic part of the dip stick. I've put 4400 miles on the car. The oil seems a little too dark now too. Smells of gasoline, but my old car oil smelled of gasoline. What kind of damage could have been done due to the overfill situation.
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:14 AM

If it's really getting gasoline in the oil, I'd be more concerned about the tendency of the gas to thin the oil and diminish its lubricating ability than I would be about the fill level. Mine was a tad over the full mark at 300 miles, and I assume it was like that from the dealer.

If you're in South Carolina, I don't imagine you've been subjected to the kind of cold temperatures that often cause people in colder climates to experience hard starting, engine flooding, etc, so that probably doesn't explain your situation. You haven't told us how your gas mileage is faring though: a dripping fuel injector might cause this symptom over time. You also haven't told us where you purchase fuel. Some of the pricier brands put detergents in their fuel that can help to avoid problems with fuel injectors. The owners manual recommends that you purchase gas from one of the brands listed on toptiergas.com, but if I had any concerns that the fuel system might be needing some cleaning, I'd put a full tank of Chevron in it.

If you're at 4400 miles and you haven't had an oil change yet, you might want to have one. Yes, the manual says you can go to 7500 unless you are in a "severe usage" situation, in which case you should change it at 3750 miles. And then they go to describe just about everything I think of as "normal" as their definition of "severe usage".

After your oil change, check your oil cold on level ground before the engine has run, and wipe the stick and reinsert it before you take a definitive reading. Whoever changes your oil is likely to overfill it slightly. On cars I've had previously, having the oil slightly over full didn't seem to be a problem, but having it contaminated with water or gas is almost always a problem.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:41 PM

Oil level

Thanks for the response. I do use top tier gas (Valero) almost all of the time. The top tier logo is on the pump near my work. My mileage has been pretty good, avg 49 on interstate, but only about 43 recently in town since it has gotten chilly. I think it is suppressed somewhat since most of my in town trips are short, 3-5 miles so the engine barley warms up. But, I must consider the possibility of some kind of fuel system problem too. My dealer says they can't look at it until February. I'm still going to take it by and at least get the issue documented in case there has been engine damage. Then I'll get the oil changed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page