Theft Alarm - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Question Theft Alarm

I parked my new Niro LX and then rearranged some stuff between front and back seats (maybe cargo area too) ... and the very loud alarm went off.

The owner's manual section covering the theft alarm is badly written and essentially useless.

Can someone please advise me of the procedure for having doors opened and closed after parking (which is not an unusual occurrence for me)? Above all else, I don't want to have to use the fob ... the whole point to a proximity sensor and push-button start is that you don't have to deal with "keys".

In other news, is the red button on the fob strictly a panic button, or does it come into play for the theft alarm?

Honestly, I want neither a theft alarm nor a panic button. They're annoying and barely necessary. I don't recall either being mentioned in Kia's marketing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alannyny View Post
I parked my new Niro LX and then rearranged some stuff between front and back seats (maybe cargo area too) ... and the very loud alarm went off.

The owner's manual section covering the theft alarm is badly written and essentially useless.

Can someone please advise me of the procedure for having doors opened and closed after parking (which is not an unusual occurrence for me)? Above all else, I don't want to have to use the fob ... the whole point to a proximity sensor and push-button start is that you don't have to deal with "keys".

In other news, is the red button on the fob strictly a panic button, or does it come into play for the theft alarm?

Honestly, I want neither a theft alarm nor a panic button. They're annoying and barely necessary. I don't recall either being mentioned in Kia's marketing.
If you turn the car OFF and stay in the vehicle without opening a door, and you stay in the car for X number of minutes (I think X=2 min.) the alarm automatically engages, so when you open the door it's sensed as an intrusion and sounds the alarm.

There IS a way, detailed in the manual, to disable the alarm, I believe it involves locking the car with the manual key, but I'm not sure if that alarm OFF is only for that occurrence or permanent..............but I do know it's covered in detail in the manual.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:30 AM

Having slept in my car for the last several nights, I have exited the car in the morning without it alarming. I haven't experimented with other options, but rather than using the key fob to lock the doors (and bringing unwanted attention to my stealth overnight parking), I lock the doors manually from the inside.

I've also avoid the key fob because it should set the alarm but I don't know that it actually will unless it knows I have exited (by no longer sensing the fob).

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:00 AM

Our Kia Niro has alarmed twice that I'm aware of in the few months we've had it. This morning it was in the closed garage, no one had been out there to disturb it, yet it decided to alarm. I already knew it would go off by itself, so I just left it alone. I checked it after it stopped screaming and it was unlocked, as it should be in the garage. The first time was in a parking lot. Don't remember the details, but nothing was near the car when it decided to alarm and it went off by itself before I could find my key. As yticolev noted, if you don't need the key, some of us keep it very safe. I keep mine in a zipped inner pocket of my purse and can't get it out quickly.

Does anybody know how to disable the alarm? Like with the door locking inconsistency that drives me nuts, I'd like it gone. We live in quite safe boonies and I am embarrassed by my car when it decides to do this...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:46 PM

So far, my alarm has only activated from the panic button triggered by another key on my key ring in my pocket as I enter the car - three times so far. Plus it has pocket dialed lock twice inside my house. Any chance you were fiddling/moving your purse when the alarm activated? Can't think of anything else that would cause an unlocked car to alarm.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
So far, my alarm has only activated from the panic button triggered by another key on my key ring in my pocket as I enter the car - three times so far. Plus it has pocket dialed lock twice inside my house. Any chance you were fiddling/moving your purse when the alarm activated? Can't think of anything else that would cause an unlocked car to alarm.
You got it! It's my husband, apparently. I dug out the PDF manual and you have to press and hold for 2 seconds. He was changing from his swim trunks to shorts and apparently somehow his clothes managed to press and hold the botton for 2 seconds... So I'm assuming he did it yesterday as well. The time it happened to me I cannot guarantee that my purse didn't press the button. I keep the key in a zippered inner pocket and never use it. He was way inside the house, through walls and closed doors. But my test sure did make the car alarm from where he was.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page