Hard plastic exterior door handle cover breaks - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Hard plastic exterior door handle cover breaks

I went to open up the left passenger door on my 2017 Kia Niro and the handle popped out of the slot it inserts into. The exterior door handle cover broke at the location where the screw that holds it in place, threads. This small piece keeps the actual handle from slipping out of the slot in the doors that it inserts into, otherwise
the handle could just dangle, because the handle has play and can slide backwards if the cover is not there to stop it. I have read that other owners have had this cover break on them on any given door on the car. Because the cover is plastic and is held in place by a metal screw, torque may be an important factor in why the part fails. Kia agreed to fix the problem, but it has been three days so far, and it still hasn’t been replaced - part was not in stock at the dealership. When I initially took my car into the service department, the service tech told me that mine was the second Niro he had to fix with this problem that week. My curiosity makes me wonder if the fix involves an upgraded cover piece (and is done to each door) or if they just replace a poorly designed cover with the same type of cover. Hope Kia comes up with a real solution and not just a fix that might break again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eespi View Post
I went to open up the left passenger door on my 2017 Kia Niro and the handle popped out of the slot it inserts into. The exterior door handle cover broke at the location where the screw that holds it in place, threads. This small piece keeps the actual handle from slipping out of the slot in the doors that it inserts into, otherwise
the handle could just dangle, because the handle has play and can slide backwards if the cover is not there to stop it. I have read that other owners have had this cover break on them on any given door on the car. Because the cover is plastic and is held in place by a metal screw, torque may be an important factor in why the part fails. Kia agreed to fix the problem, but it has been three days so far, and it still hasnít been replaced - part was not in stock at the dealership. When I initially took my car into the service department, the service tech told me that mine was the second Niro he had to fix with this problem that week. My curiosity makes me wonder if the fix involves an upgraded cover piece (and is done to each door) or if they just replace a poorly designed cover with the same type of cover. Hope Kia comes up with a real solution and not just a fix that might break again.
There are MANY posts on this forum regarding this issue, many are mine, as we had the problem too. It's not technically a "recall" but there was a TSB/Technical Serice Bulletin released by Kia regarding the issue..........apparently the door handles were over torqued by 30, quite a bit, and that is causing the problem............ your dealer should be aware of the TSB.......... it calls for replacing 3 door handles and NOT the driver side door..........when I inquired why not the driver door, the dealers response made perfect sense,,,,,,,,,,because that would involve also replacing the key lock and keys for that lock, making it a much more tedious "fix"............ I'm comfortable with their decision to "leave it be" until it's a problem,,,,,,,,,I've also read that Kia will cover this issue for the life of the vehicle, beyond any "warranties"...............so lifetime I guess.
Neuron likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:37 PM

Niro door handles.

I am currently driving a 2017 Kia Niro with one of the four door handles still attached. Three fell off in a 9 day period. I could not convince the dealer service department to order the parts without their technician seeing the Niro. So two trips in. The break is as described in other posts. It is hard to maintain confidence in a vehicle that has something so basic break. What will fall off next?
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 01:01 PM

Small niggles like these are not limited to the Niro and even Honda has a few problems. At least they're willing to fix it outside of warranty.
Sorry to hear that your dealership is being annoying about it even though there's a TSB/Technical Serice Bulletin.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:08 AM

This should be a non issue now, there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that has been out since about September 2017 regarding the Niro door handles. The TSB calls for all door handles to be replaced EXCEPT the driver door, reason being that it has a keylock and replacing all keys and keylocks would be ridiculous at this point.....they will be replaced IF they break. ALL door handles are covered for the lifetime of the vehicle because of this issue,,,,,,,,,,,it WAS identified as an over torquing issue.......keep in mind that this is a TSB, NOT a recall, so you wont be recalled automatically,,,,,,,,, the fix is on a case by case basis,,,,,,,,,,our dealer had the 3 door handles in very quickly,,,,,,,the fix worked, no further door handles have broken off..........
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:30 AM

I don't want to be one of those whiney blog posters and I have been very happy with the Niro. However, going two weeks and counting without the ability to open 3 of the 4 doors from the outside feels like more than a "small niggle".
Glenn likes this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:42 PM

so here in Ottawa Canada .. my passenger rear door handle busted 2 weeks ago. Dealer tells me the replacement is on back order .. July. July?????? Seriously????
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:06 PM

Be happy this is a "trivial" defect caused by too much torque. You would be much more unhappy if the engine or transmission had a major defect. Or a safety defect causing a crash.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 04:33 PM

True 'dat ... but ... as others have noted, there is a TSB bulletin on this. Although an irritation, Kia US and Canada are well aware. I can only think that the demand for replacement door handles .. is large. Parts guy figures they have to come from Korea. And the way the dealer here has handled this .. disappointing. 3 trips so far. 1st trip .. dealer wanted to see the issue. Ok fair enough. 2n'd trip .. they have the part. Well not really, They ordered a rear hatch handle, even after having had seen the issue. Then I got a call on Tuesday this week telling me the part was in (well this was the booking centre I assume). So back to the dealer yesterday. Service advisor calls saying they don't have the part 30 minutes after I had left the car. Hmm strange, your dealership had called me 2 days earlier saying the part was in. Well, even he was pretty disgusted. Now I live fairly close to the dealership I go to (5 miles .. 7 km) but 3 useless trips .. rearranging schedules .. only to find out the part is not available right now. So a minor issue can easily become some a heck of a lot more irritating.

But true .. I have read some other major issues on this forum, this one is comparatively minor and I would even say, issues like this can be expected in the 1st production year of a new vehicle. But ****, I would just like it fixed
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:11 PM

It was fixed during model year one. Obviously yours was made before they fixed it.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page