Transmission Issue? - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Daisy_Daisy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Transmission Issue?

I leased a brand new 2017 Niro EX at the end of February, and about 3 weeks in, my car started behaving strangely. The gas engine makes significantly more noise than it did at the beginning, growling and groaning. It sounds like it's over revving. When I switch into Sport mode and manually transition up a gear, the noise stops and the gas mileage improves. I monitored the gears that the Niro is in at various points in my commute, and compared it to my coworker's Optima. The Optima is consistently one gear higher than my Niro.

It seems to me like the transmission is out of wack, and whatever sensor determines the appropriate gear to be in needs to be recalibrated.

After three weeks of back and forth with the service center at the dealership, I was able to get them to look at the car. They claim that there is nothing wrong, and that they can't replicate the issue. They also told me that the other Niro on the lot makes the same sound.

That can't be right, since driving the car with this sound is pretty miserable. Had that been the normal engine sound in February, I would not have bought the car.

Anyone have experience with weird noises from the Niro? Does it just get louder and rougher to drive after about a thousand miles?

The nearest dealership is almost two hours away. I've had to make three trips down there already, with no progress. Help!

Last edited by Daisy_Daisy; 04-20-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy_Daisy View Post
I leased a brand new 2017 Niro EX at the end of February, and about 3 weeks in, my car started behaving strangely. The gas engine makes significantly more noise than it did at the beginning, growling and groaning. It sounds like it's over revving. When I switch into Sport mode and manually transition up a gear, the noise stops and the gas mileage improves. I monitored the gears that the Niro is in at various points in my commute, and compared it to my coworker's Optima. The Optima is consistently one gear higher than my Niro.

It seems to me like the transmission is out of wack, and whatever sensor determines the appropriate gear to be in needs to be recalibrated.

After three weeks of back and forth with the service center at the dealership, I was able to get them to look at the car. They claim that there is nothing wrong, and that they can't replicate the issue. They also told me that the other Niro on the lot makes the same sound.

That can't be right, since driving the car with this sound is pretty miserable. Had that been the normal engine sound in February, I would not have bought the car.

Anyone have experience with weird noises from the Niro? Does it just get louder and rougher to drive after about a thousand miles?

The nearest dealership is almost two hours away. I've had to make three trips down there already, with no progress. Help!
We have a 2017 EX and while we have not experienced that problem I have read on several areas of various "blogs" that there was a software update addressing "shifting" and fixing a few transmission glitches..........perhaps your vehicle did not receive the update.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! I went looking and couldn't find any information about software updates on the Niro. Can you point me in the right direction?

I had the service center reset the transmission yesterday, which briefly helped. This morning, though, the problem is back to where it was.

Any information would be so helpful.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 10:10 AM

Ask them to let you test drive the other one? Or sit in it while they drive it? Would be an interesting data point.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
Ask them to let you test drive the other one? Or sit in it while they drive it? Would be an interesting data point.
I was able to try out a coworker's Niro, and definitely didn't notice the same noise. I'm escalating and getting in touch with Kia itself. Hopefully they'll have some insight!
extech67 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page