Left screen went black - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Left screen went black

First apparent issue with our Niro - the left screen in the gauge cluster went black. This is the screen just to the left of the main info screen in the center of the gauge cluster. It contains the battery charge level, the fuel gauge, and the Miles to Empty number. It's been working fine, and then this morning got in the car, turned it on, and that screen stayed black. I shut the car down and restarted it multiple times, made no difference. As of now, I'm at work and the left screen still appears to be dead.

You know how with screens like that you can usually tell if they're on but nothing is being displayed, as opposed to the screen itself being off? Mine appears to be off. There's no blue tint to indicate the screen is on, and it was never an intermittent connection thing - just working one day, and dead the next. All functionality in the car seems to be fine, that screen just appears to be off.

has this happened to anybody else? And is there a way to turn that screen off and on that I'm not aware of? I don't think it was anything I accidentally changed, because I turned the car off last night when I got home, then turned it on again this morning to find the screen dead. I'm guessing the issue is either a connection issue, like the power wire got loose, or the screen itself is defective. I wanted to gauge whether this has happened to anybody else, but obviously we will take the car to a dealer to get it fixed under warranty, assuming it doesn't fix itself.

The main issue is obviously that I can't see how many miles to empty, or the fuel gauge - so I have no idea how much gas is in the car right now or how much longer I can go before I have to fill up again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leftscreen.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	3473  

2018 Kia Niro
EX Premium
Metal Stream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 04:33 PM

Garage
Just bring it in to the dealer for repair, it's under warranty!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 06:30 PM

Thats crazy...first Ive ever heard of a screen dash going out in only one spot. The whole thing, sure, but only that spot...wonder if yhete is a loose plug behind it?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 07:14 PM

Within the first 1000 miles, my Niro's stereo went blank.

Was a loose connection. No problems since. Hopefully yours will be as easy a fix.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:54 PM

Garage
Xaqtly , when you have this repaired, I hope you will do a update. I am curious how Kia responds! Good luck!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:57 AM

Control/alt/delete fixes many issues. In the case of the Niro, you have to disconnect the 12 V battery. That will reset the computer. That is what the dealer will do first.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Well, the problem fixed itself. I went back out to the Niro at the end of my work day, and the left screen was working normally again. No explanation for it. It might be a loose connection, but the fact that it only happened when the car was turned on or off leads me to believe it's more software-related than hardware. So far it hasn't gone out again. Very strange. I'll update if it happens again, but for now it's back to normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leftscreen_on.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	3481  
KK6PD and lafe005 like this.

2018 Kia Niro
EX Premium
Metal Stream
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Well, the problem fixed itself. I went back out to the Niro at the end of my work day, and the left screen was working normally again. No explanation for it. It might be a loose connection, but the fact that it only happened when the car was turned on or off leads me to believe it's more software-related than hardware. So far it hasn't gone out again. Very strange. I'll update if it happens again, but for now it's back to normal.

I hope for your sake it's not what happened to us. I started our Niro EX one night in February and this exact same area had a problem but very different from yours, gas meter was completely empty of the little boxes, miles to empty flashing, gas tank icon flashing etc etc etc......long story short, a little critter/rodent got on top of our gas tank and chewed the wires to the fuel pump, it's part of the main wiring harness, NOT under warranty, entire wiring harness had to be replaced, which involves removing ALL seats, floors, carpet, center console, dash, and trunk,,,,,,,,,,, $2,200.00. Seems that most all manufacturers starting around 2008 (and NOT just hybrids!) in an effort to both be more environmentally conscious AND reduce cost, started replacing traditional plastic and rubber coated with SOY and CORN covered wires!!! Food buffet for rodents!!!! Google search "Soy Wire Lawsuit" and you'll see that several class action lawsuits have been attempted but none successful yet............. one poor guy had his new Honda SI for a few months before $14,000.00 in damage was done under the hood by rodents............... fortunately for us our insurance covered ALL but the $50 deductible...............many dont add "comprehensive" coverage on their insurance and end up paying thousands in repairs............... this will end up being far worse than the "air bag" recall as the job to replace a wiring harness alone was several days work............ using soy/corn coated wires was a good well intentioned idea gone very very bad. Now many people with strange little problems, many even intermittent like yours, are finding wiring damage from rodents,,,,,,,,,, they can smell that "food" from outside the car and they pursue it........... big problem
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:43 AM

That problem will only get worse, with the new European LSZH (low smoke, zero halogen) wire insulation standard that is coming. The new insulation material becomes brittle in as little as 5 years and causes electrical faults. Some BMW's and MB's already use that wire and service people hate it.

I'm already fighting it in my business.

We just can't leave good working stuff alone...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 09:12 AM

I had this same problem yesterday. My left screen that displays Gas and Charge levels went black. I turned the Car off and back on but that didn't fix the issue.

But after charging the car and starting it up the screen was back on. Not sure the cause.

But if it happens again I will be taking it in to Kia.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page