Two (very) minor nitpicks - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Two (very) minor nitpicks

So far I love my 2018 PHEV EX Premium but there are two things that bug me:

1. Why is there no clock display on the instrument panel? I have range, odometer and a bunch of other stuff, but to see the time I have to turn and look at the far right side of the infotainment screen. There is a bunch of blank space on the top of the cluster display for the clock, so why leave it out?

2. The wiper stalk is backwards. In every other car I've owned you press the stalk down for mist, then up for intermittent, regular and fast. Is this is normal Kia thing? This is my first time owning one so I don't know if this is thing they like to do. In any case, it's wrong. And another thing, if down is faster why does the intermittent switch work in the opposite way? Clicking that up increases the wiping speed. Makes no sense.

Admittedly, these are extremely minor complaints, but they do bug me. Still love the car though.

Jim
Southern Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 03:35 PM

It's not a Kia thing; my Kia Venga is like what you call "every other car".
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
2. The wiper stalk is backwards. In every other car I've owned you press the stalk down for mist, then up for intermittent, regular and fast. Is this is normal Kia thing? This is my first time owning one so I don't know if this is thing they like to do. In any case, it's wrong. And another thing, if down is faster why does the intermittent switch work in the opposite way? Clicking that up increases the wiping speed. Makes no sense.
I think that's a GM/Ford thing. They operate the way you described, but Mazda, Subaru, and Hyundai all do it the same way Kia does (pretty sure Honda, Toyota, and Nissan too but I'm not certain). You think that's bad, my Jeep Cherokee uses a knob on the stalk instead (the stalk moves up for mist but it won't go down at all).

My last 3 cars before the Niro were 2 Mazdas and a Hyundai, so I'm more used to the Niro's setup, and the Jeep's wierd setup didn't teach me any bad habits. Sounds like you've got some unlearning to do though, because frankly GM and Ford do it backwards/wrong. Ford used to do it the other way, FYI. Not sure why they changed it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:55 AM

My Niro wipers is very different from your description. Up is for single swipe (still having a hard time with that, PT Cruiser was opposite), down is intermittent et cetera, away from wheel is wash.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
My Niro wipers is very different from your description. Up is for single swipe (still having a hard time with that, PT Cruiser was opposite), down is intermittent et cetera, away from wheel is wash.
I think he's stating that the cars he's used to work the way he described, and Kia's work differently. It's understandable, I think GMs work the way he described,.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I think he's stating that the cars he's used to work the way he described, and Kia's work differently. It's understandable, I think GMs work the way he described,.
Yep, that's it. Guess I could have been clearer. I'm probably just so annoyed by the wiper thing it's affecting my ability to express myself clearly.

On and while we're on the topic of what grinds my gears, is there a way to nest quotes on this forum? I tried just nesting {QUOTE} tags but that didn't work.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I think that's a GM/Ford thing. They operate the way you described, but Mazda, Subaru, and Hyundai all do it the same way Kia does (pretty sure Honda, Toyota, and Nissan too but I'm not certain). You think that's bad, my Jeep Cherokee uses a knob on the stalk instead (the stalk moves up for mist but it won't go down at all).

My last 3 cars before the Niro were 2 Mazdas and a Hyundai, so I'm more used to the Niro's setup, and the Jeep's wierd setup didn't teach me any bad habits. Sounds like you've got some unlearning to do though, because frankly GM and Ford do it backwards/wrong. Ford used to do it the other way, FYI. Not sure why they changed it.
It's not just GM/Forsd, my VWs have all behaved the same way as well. Audi too, although they're VW as well so that doesn't really count. This is my first car from an Asian manufacturer, so maybe its a regional thing? Dunno.

It's still wrong though.

Jim
Southern Maryland

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page